Author Topic: Which way to instant?  (Read 3223 times)

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
Which way to instant?
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
Hi all,
for long time I've been wanting to try shooting polaroid and fuji instant films and you filmwasting folks are no help.  The problem is, I do not own a 5x4 camera (and don't think I want to make a major investment in this format, since those 5x7 negatives are so beautiful...

Anyway...

What would be the simplest (and cheapest) way to a camera that would allow me to shoot instant film? I hope I could be content with the smaller size (3.25 x 4.25" is it?) - in that case - what would be the simplest camera to use if I want to cover all the size? Some Polaroid Land Camera? Or is a 5x4 camera unavoidable even in this size of negative?

Forgive me these dumb questions, but I am completely new to shooting instant film, they seem to be quite rare round these parts...

Thank you for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:41:05 AM by Andrej K »
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Re: Which way to instant?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
Hi...

I know very little about this... but you may be better sticking with the smaller peel apart format or the new impossible project films, as I 'think' that all 4x5 instant film is now discontinued...

although the new55 project are working on a black and white peel apart 4x5, but it is not ready yet...

I am sure others will jump in with camera advice

sorry for slightly negative first reply to the thread...

good luck!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Thank you for your reply - I did some quick research, found the same and modified the question to the smaller peel apart sizes hoping that I will be quicker than anyone would answer.. I am sorry..

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
ahh I can help a little more with the smaller pack film stuff...

there are loads of useful resources:

- the land list is very detailed and useful for lots of polaroid info on cameras and film: http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm - worth taking the time to have a look

- seans blog is also excellent for pola info on cameras and film  http://moominsean.blogspot.co.uk/, and is well worth a look through and will defintely help you

- there is also a camera comparison here that may help you understand the differences:  having issues with this link, search on instant options, choose optional land list / cameras / pack film

from my experience if you don't want to spend big bucks on the professional polaroid cameras then go for one of the folding models (ideally 100, 250, 250 or 450 but others like 340 are also good - should be able to pick up on ebay for way under £50), rather than the hard case ones, as personally I have had better results with the folding ones, but I know others here also like the hardcase ones like the colorpack.

If you plan to shoot fuji 3000b (only B+W film still being made) then make sure you get a camera with a 3000iso setting...

Fuji make the only peel apart now - 100c colour and 3000b black and white.

feel free to ask me any questions direct if you wish, although I can't promise to be able to help, lots of experts here though!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:27:05 PM by Chalky »

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »
Thank you Chalky.

If I start to look at the land cameras on the 'bay, what are the most common issues? Is there any battery compatibility problem? Any other things to watch out for apart from ISO setting?

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
these 2 on seans blog will help you a lot too...

http://moominsean.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/polaroid-primer-peel-apart-films.html

http://moominsean.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/polaroid-pack-film-final-lesson.html

the land list page (linked in first post) will tell you what battery each camera takes. Most of the old folding type use old 3 or 4.5 volt batteries, that are still available on ebay, just a little more pricey. Lots of resources on the web to explain how to convert to three 'newer' AAA batteries, but personally I've always used the older type batteries that have lasted ages for me without any problems

Lots of the hardcase ones (eg model 10, colorpack, model 30 and so on) use type AA batteries which you'll no doubt have in a drawer somewhere...

Other things to look for from the seller:

- corroded battery compartments can cause issues - these cameras rely on the battery to meter the light, so if the battery doesn't work, the camera is useless
- ideally if the seller can test it - if they cock and fire the shutter in low light (with or without film but needs a working battery) then they should hear 2 clear clicks. if they are a polaroid user this will make sense to them
- holes in the bellows can cause light leaks but these can be fixed relatively easily, although try to avoid if possible
- corroded or dirty rollers (the bit that spreads the developer paste) can cause issues, but should be relatively easily cleaned
- some have one window viewfinders, some have two, many people prefer the single window zeiss ones, but I am not bothered either way personally
- if you buy one with a 4 way scene selector you have a little more flexibility with 4 aperature settings, alongside the lighten darken wheel, you can use the camera in more extreme light conditions than one that only allows you to choose 75 or 3000 setting

Obviously most of these cameras are 30 plus years old, so hard to guarantee them... but it is by far my favourite form of photography and once you get going you will get some amazing results!

Hopefully sean will jump in here as he is one of the main experts!

I hope this helps...

I'd recommend reading the links above, the land list pages and look at the comparison table on the instant options site to see what cameras have what functions and generally get a little more understanding. then choose your budget (you'll get one from £5 - £800 on ebay) and get buying...

I used a 340 for about 5 years that cost me £4 plus postage and it was my number one camera for a long time...

let us know how you get on!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
Chalky, thanks a lot for all the information.. I bookmarked many posts on seans blog to my read-it-later so that I have something to study on the train today so that the hunt could start tonight.. :)

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
I was pretty much forced into instant when I found a Polaroid Sun 660 at a thrift store for $2.42. I grabbed some Impossible Project 600 pack film (pretty expensive compared to the camera!) and have had decent success. I've only shot one pack so far (color) and a few shots were total duds, but it might have been my fault for leaving the pack in the camera for too long, best to shoot all at once. Anyway, that would be the cheapest way in, probably. Those folding Polaroids are all over thrift stores but are steadily rising in price, I've noticed.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
I for a long time have been a fan of the Colorpack series. While the film is harder to extract from them (they use the pressure plates and not rollers to squeeze the pod), they're a great way to get into instant peel apart. One thing to watch out for is that the shutter must do a double click when you keep the finger pressed on the button. If it doesn't you're not exposing anything.

Apart from that, they're a reliable bunch and can be had for cheap. The one I have cost me something like 1$ at a garage sale years ago :)

And there's always all the 600 series which can be surprising. I tend to like the models with the sonar AF, but I've found that those without it are just fine, they just give images with a bit more fuzz.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I agree, my first pack camera was a Colorpack II and I loved it. I have been thinking about dragging it back out again. Very simple, easy to use, and AA batties. A few years back I found a Canadian battery supply comapany online that carried the correct 3.5 volt battery. I remember it being reasonably priced and it lasted me years.

good luck on your search

chris
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
I got 101 land camera for less than the cost of a pint. I've seen some of the classier models go for a bit more, but all of the automatic land cameras can be got pretty cheap. The 101 is OK, but only really fun with the 100 speed film (no scene selector). It's pretty easy to improvise a battery from a stack of button cells and a bit of electrician's tape.

Other than that you can sometimes find the film backs cheap too, which make great for great pinhole fun. Here's mine: http://camerasobscure.tumblr.com/post/662596511/the-pinholaroid-7-seconds-of-a-danish-summer

Finding the film cheap is a bigger problem- It's addictive & I tend to burn through it if I've got any in and then go a few months before geting more film. Mr Cad (http://mrcad.co.uk/Shop.ink#) have some expired stuff cheap if you're in the UK.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks all for answers and suggestion, I'll have to look round the internet..
Pity there ain't yard sales here.. But anyway, I don't think anyone shoots the stuff here.. I am pretty sure no polaroid cameras were imported during the communism here while the cameras were being produced. I remember from my youngster years occasionaly seeing some lucky dudes with those potrait instant boxy cameras with pop-up flash, but I never saw a land camera in person.

I think I would mainly shoot the color fujiroid - I have been thinking about adding a bit of colour to my filmwasting which is BW only and this seems to be the nicest solution.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
You might be able to get your hands on a Porst Magic 500 more easily. Porst was a German camera store chain that sold rebadged products. The Magic 500 is an SX-70 compatible camera that is identical to the Keystone XF1000.

As far as I know, the old Soviet Block only produced one instant camera for which film is no longer made... so I guess that evil place might be the only place to go for one...

Hold on, I have an idea... in the sales folder, there is a thread called "Share the love" in which Phil had an old Polaroid SX-70 (box type) to give away... maybe it's still worth asking him!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

fox

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
I'd say not to use Impossible film yet. They are terrible, as they bought the machinery from Polaroid but not the chemistry or know how, and as such are still experimenting.

Stick to Fuji instant film which is 600. They are fantastic.

The 150 250 etc polaroid folding rangefinders seem to be the best to go for and not too expensive. Avoid SX70 as the 600 pack film will not fit them

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
Thanks..
Yes, that was my intention to stick with fuji film, altough I was not aware of problems with Impossible. SX70 always seems to be somehow too "snappy".. I am looking for a *50 land thing, I hope I won't have to wait too long.. :)