Author Topic: Harman Direct Positive FB in Caffenol  (Read 7473 times)

damiand

Harman Direct Positive FB in Caffenol
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
Finally I have pleasure to test my modify KW Negopock camera. Modification allow me to use standard 4x5 film holder. As You may see on picture picture area in Kw camera is slightly smaller that 4x5.

Picture was taken on Harman direct positive FB paper . After experimenting with Adox Adolux R09 1:100 as developer with not much success I decided to use caffenol as developer.

Paper was measure on iso 3. Shoot in available light ( north side window ), F 5.6 ,8 sec exposure time.

Its hard to buy here soda carbonate/washing soda main ingredient of this developer so i decided make it myself. I bought sodium bicarbonate/baking powder and heat in oven for 1 hour. I didn't notice much change just taste change to more sour :).

Caffenol recipe used for this picture:

400 ml water
3 table spoons of coffee
2 table spoons of baked sodium bicarbonate
lime juice (1)/ while i didn't have vitamin C

Developing took about 5 minutes.

I am very pleased with results. Picture isn't to contrasty I have nice mid-tones as well. I cannot wait to make more experiments.   

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Harman Direct Positive FB in Caffenol
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
looks great Damiand -I like the flat contrast.  It seems that maybe film developers are the way to go with this paper .... ???
L.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
That is nice.  And unusual.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
Pretty darn nice.
As for the direct positive paper, I think you better go easy on it as I found this on the Ilford website

We have encountered technical problems coating the HARMAN DIRECT POSITIVE RC paper. The result of this is that we cannot release the product to end users and as a consequence the product is now out of stock. At this point, whilst our R&D team work on the problem, we are unable to advise when the product will become available.

Initially, in the ILFORD Pinhole Photography Kit we have substituted the RC product with 10 sheets of HARMAN DIRECT POSITIVE FB paper, which is in stock with no supply issues.

As a gesture of goodwill we have now also included free of charge an additional 10 sheets 4 x 5 inch ILFORD MULTIGRADE IV RC, which can be used to make a paper negative.

We sincerely apologise for this enforced change to our publicised intention, and are sure you will agree that by adding the MULTIGRADE paper the kit has been enhanced.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

damiand

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:01 PM »
Leon : I tried before with R09  dilated 1:100 with no luck , no black at all. I really like caffeenol effect I was curious that fb paper become yellow but it has just slight yellow tint.

I remember once ill contact print negative on ilford multigrade rc paper IV and develop in this caffeenol recipe , results are great - deep black and has  a 3D look compere to harman warm tone developer. RC paper didn't tint yellow as well.

I will be trying more but my private model is only available on weekends :).

Sandeha Lynch: Thank You

Francois: Thank You , I will stock myself with fb paper I am starting to like this paper , no negatives contact printing , and results are more than satisfy for me :)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »
congrats! that's a great result from hard work. fun to see that you're using caffenol too. oh, and I'd use ascorbic acid instead of vitamin c. I find it by the bakery goods or spices in my general dealer.

looking forward to more shots :)
/jonas

damiand

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
jojonas:Thank You , definitely ill  try to find ascorbic acid to use with caffenol :). Saturday i will shoot different setup so hopefully my results will be as good as this one :) 

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
oh, and I'd use ascorbic acid instead of vitamin c. I find it by the bakery goods or spices in my general dealer.

Just to calm down my inner Francois ;) Ascorbic acid and Vitamin C are one and the same :) I get mine in the pharmacy and it doesn't cost very much either.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »
oh, and I'd use ascorbic acid instead of vitamin c. I find it by the bakery goods or spices in my general dealer.
Just to calm down my inner Francois ;) Ascorbic acid and Vitamin C are one and the same :) I get mine in the pharmacy and it doesn't cost very much either.
oh it is? I get confused with mixing swedish and english sometimes. I guess I mixed it up with citric acid which I bought once acidentally instead of Ascorbic acid/Vitamin C.
/jonas

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »
Really like the result Daminad!

looks great Damiand -I like the flat contrast.  It seems that maybe film developers are the way to go with this paper .... ???

The few pictures I took using this paper I developed them using Rodinal and most of the time they're flat in contrast, but I thought it was either because I wasn't pre-flashing or not having enough light since they're ll taken indoors.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

damiand

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
next try , I need to say that this paper is very hard to control. the same developer formula , the same north light just dark background. first picture come out underexposed so I double exposure time f 4.5 8 sec.

Background making huge difference for exposure time.