Author Topic: Hong Kong/China  (Read 3123 times)

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
Hong Kong/China
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
I'm off to Hong Kong and China in late May. Apart from looking for another Great Wall are there any other weird and wonderful vintage cams I should keep my peepers open for?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Hong Kong/China
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
there are tons of cameras that look like holgas but are older than holgas, probably what the camera was modeled after. i have like four cameras from the 1970s that have the same lens barrel shape as the holga but are painted silver. typically cost about $8. something to keep an eye out for!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
there are tons of cameras that look like holgas but are older than holgas, probably what the camera was modeled after. i have like four cameras from the 1970s that have the same lens barrel shape as the holga but are painted silver. typically cost about $8. something to keep an eye out for!

Super! I'll be on the lookout for them, thanks Sean  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
I usually err on the side of "If I've never seen one, I've got to have it" :)

Enjoy the trip!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
Have a wonderful time Suzi!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
The street markets in China (well in Beijing anyway) usually have a fair selection available but I found they were typically poor condition and the sellers wanted too much for them. I never bought any. But you might be lucky so check them out.

Also, if you can find a copy of it, there is a book called Cameras of China by Douglas St Denny which makes a good reference of the different types though it's not totally comprehensive.

What part of China are you going to?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll be visiting family as well but absolutely wasting a ton of film  ;D

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
The street markets in China (well in Beijing anyway) usually have a fair selection available but I found they were typically poor condition and the sellers wanted too much for them. I never bought any. But you might be lucky so check them out.

Also, if you can find a copy of it, there is a book called Cameras of China by Douglas St Denny which makes a good reference of the different types though it's not totally comprehensive.

What part of China are you going to?

Thanks Peter, I'm just going to Shanghai on this occasion _ I do want to do Beijing in the future but not this trip..

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »
I know I've once heard (I think it was from Mijonju) that in order to get a deal, you have to send in somebody who speaks the language and have them haggle. Most cameras have no price on them and the seller fixes the prices based on how you look. Look like a foreigner=expensive. If the buyer looks like a local and haggles, then you can get a decent price.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Have a great time Suzi. If you are passing the Chamonix camera workshop, pop in and see if my camera is ready yet?

I've no idea even where it is, but, hey ... China isn't that big a place is it?  ;)

Edit: I've just seen that you are going in May ... hopefully I'll have it by then.
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
I know I've once heard (I think it was from Mijonju) that in order to get a deal, you have to send in somebody who speaks the language and have them haggle. Most cameras have no price on them and the seller fixes the prices based on how you look. Look like a foreigner=expensive. If the buyer looks like a local and haggles, then you can get a decent price.

I don't speak the lingo but believe me, I haggled. The sellers wouldn't accept my offers and I wasn't prepared to pay their prices. I walked away. Maybe I'm just mean.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
I walked away. Maybe I'm just mean.

Sounds like sense to me!
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
I also have this book I bought at Amazon years ago...
http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Cameras_of_the_People_s_Republic_of_Chin.html?id=hu8iCOm63pYC&redir_esc=y

That's the one. There's some copies on Alibris for reasonable money.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »
it might be cheaper to get them online! a couple years ago i had a good run using google translator to communicate to this chinese camera store. i bought i think 12 cameras. that's where i got all my weird chinese cameras. they had great wall cameras for around $30 for the base model back then.

it's been awhile and the stock is always changing, but this site offers hours of browsing. and they sold my cameras to me so they must be good.

http://new.sy916.net/
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »
aah, a great wall from china. that'd be something<3 haha, I hope you'll have a cameratastic stay ;D

sean: thanks for the link. my evening is settled :D
/jonas

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
Excellent feedback everyone, will take it all on board - thanks for all your tips!  Will have my brother with me on some occasions and he speaks the language so haggling will be a definite!

I hope to bring back a hoard of treasure  ;D

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
it might be cheaper to get them online! a couple years ago i had a good run using google translator to communicate to this chinese camera store. i bought i think 12 cameras. that's where i got all my weird chinese cameras. they had great wall cameras for around $30 for the base model back then.

it's been awhile and the stock is always changing, but this site offers hours of browsing. and they sold my cameras to me so they must be good.

http://new.sy916.net/

Thanks Sean, this site looks good!

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Have a great time Suzi. If you are passing the Chamonix camera workshop, pop in and see if my camera is ready yet?

I've no idea even where it is, but, hey ... China isn't that big a place is it?  ;)

Edit: I've just seen that you are going in May ... hopefully I'll have it by then.

Well if it hasn't arrived by May I'll pop by and pick it up for you. Of course, I may then keep it  ;D

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
These might give you some ideas Suzi... ;)
http://www.tlr-cameras.com/Chinese/index.html

I also have this book I bought at Amazon years ago...
http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Cameras_of_the_People_s_Republic_of_Chin.html?id=hu8iCOm63pYC&redir_esc=y

Thanks Mauricio, I like the name "Pearl River" - I better save more money to take, this could get expensive  ;D

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
pearl river TLRs have notoriously soft shutters. i guess they wear out quickly. probably fun while they last!
                                                                  - John Waters