Author Topic: Thermometers  (Read 2797 times)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Thermometers
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
Have just broken my last Paterson thermometer... dropped in sink! Was thinking of buying one of the more modern digital food thermometers as I would probably find the numerals easier to read (one's eyesight begins to go after 50!). Would these be as accurate? What do other people use?

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Re: Thermometers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
I use both types, mostly because I continue to ruin the digital ones..I drop them in liquid of some sort and they die, so I keep both on hand...the digital ones are really fast and easily read so I wish I could just be more careful!!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:37:04 PM »
echo Diane - the digi ones seem better, but they eat battery, they are never as waterproof as they claim to be.  I barely use it now, stick with the glass ones.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
The digital ones are definitely more precise (enough to do color work) and can also be a lot faster to react.
I have an old Delta1 glass thermometer. I can't say I love it but it does the job. I also have an infrared thermometer... but I've yet to use it in the darkroom... maybe next time. I know it won't read the temperature of the liquids adequately but it will read the temperature of the plastic beaker quite well.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:29 AM »
For Christmas I bought my wife a digital quick-read thermometer, a CDN Digital ProAccurate based on the recommendation from Cook's Illustrated (think Consumer Reports for kitchen freaks). It was $15 USD, it seems to be excellent build quality compared to other digital thermometers I've seen and used, and my first thought was, "Wow, I bet this is awesome in the darkroom." :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:02:32 AM »
I have used a digi one but found it was more a nuisance than benefit with the wire trailing about. I thought about the all in one medical type but wasn't sure how waterproof they really are. So I'm still using my glass one I bought about umpty years ago. I would say stick with glass.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:41:18 AM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
Thanks for your input chaps & chapesses. Might buy a digital one just to try but buy another glass version just in case.

Paul

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »
I have a glass one and it works perfectly for me - had the same one since I started doing my own developing about 15 years ago.  Having said that, now I'll probably drop it next time I use it. :P

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
I thought about the all in one medical type but wasn't sure how waterproof they really are.
I would think not very. But you could always put a rubber sleeve on them like they to at the doctor's...

I would think the best ones are those with the long metal stem that goes all the way into the plastic body. The guy who comes to fix our air conditioner has one and it seems pretty tough.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
mine is very similar to this one - Despite sold as waterproof, the slightest hint of water and it pretends to die for about a week, then springs back to life. 

L.

Magnus

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
I use a glass one as well. It was made for aquarium use, but it sinks (very strange for an aquarium thermometer...). Since it was intended for aquarium use it got a nice range, 0-50 °C and is easy to read.
The only drawback with it is that the liquid in it is red which means it's impossible to read under red-light in the darkroom...
A bad day in the Darkroom is better than good day at work...

Magnus

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
I bought a digital thermometer many years ago for sculpture and it never occurred to me to use it for photography.  But it does run up to 1100ºC.

I keep my glass thermo in a long glass flower pot.  So far it's stayed safe.

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
bought a cheapie off ebay (sold for the kitchen) and works great BUT not waterproof -so use it with a bit of plastic bag over the top and and elastic band to hold it on - not quite as easy to read but now totally splashproof and can press the little on button even with wet hands without worry  -and has lasted over a year in the darkroom with the corner of the bag as its protection !

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
I have just bought the Leon inspired style, for £1.50 on fleabay.

Will let you know how it goes
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
My first thermometer was a pink octopus that barely fitted in the developer tank (it was originally meant to be for swimming pools). My second thermometer was my diving watch (and yes this time it would fit into the tank). My third thermometer is Leon´s style, I think it was originally designed for checking temperature of the meat..  :'(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Well, at least you knew when your film was rare-medium-well done  ;D
Francois