Author Topic: Hasselblad HELP!!  (Read 8061 times)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Hasselblad HELP!!
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
This afternoon, mid walk, mid film, the winder stopped half way round, completely jammed.
When I got home I removed the back and found the mirrors stuck down and the curtains closed and I can't remove the lens either.
In the past I've removed the lens with a screwdriver on the inside but then the mirrors been up and everything else was okay.

Do you think it's actually broken (someone mentioned springs?) or do you think there's a way I can fix it?

Thanks for any wise words you have.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Hasselblad HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Vicky, call Hasselblad on 0208-731-3250 or 0208 731 3275 or 0208 731 3271

The service department and very generous with free information and have saved me on more than one occasion!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
Ouch...!!  :(

Sounds nasty but, as Phil said, a quick call to Hasselblad central is the best thing. The other people who might be worth a try are:

http://www.procentre.co.uk/

They're on 14 Union Walk, London, E2 8HP - just round the corner from where I used to work. They helped me a few times when I managed to get things a bit stuck.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Thanks Phil, I will do.
I've searched about for more info but there doesn't seem to be anything on this particular type of jam.
So frustrating not being able to get the lens off too.

LD, thanks, they'll be next on my list...probably my fault for never having got it serviced in 5 years of continual use...it was used from ebay in the first place...

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
It has to go the Hassy hospital :(
They need to see it to find out what it is...

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Sorry to hear this, Vicky. I've sent stuff to Hassypital and they do a lovely job. Still, I'm sure it is an expense you could do without.  :'(

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »
Always is :)
Still, it will be good to know it's all in good order....have it last another 40 years!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
fingers, arms, legs, toes and eyes crossed that it is something easily fixable Vicky.
L.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
thanks leon, i think i'd been taking it for granted really.
thinking i might save up and get another so i always have back up...i don't want to find myself in this situation again.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
If Victor's techs are as good as our local Nikon guys, your camera will come back looking just like new :)

They made so many cameras of the 500 series I really doubt they wouldn't have parts to fix it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:16 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy (and cheap) recovery, Vicky  ;)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes chaps.
Sadly I just received the estimate and it's over £700...more than the camera cost 5 years ago.
So not the news I was hoping for.
Pretty shocked really.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Bloody Hell! I sold a very nice 500C for half that a while back! You could buy one in mint condition for £700!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
Exactly Phil.
I'm going to have a think about it...obviously not going ahead with these repairs...I didn't even know i had a problem with the back?
Most of the work seems to be on the lens and there was i think thinking that at the worst i could just get another body :)

johann

• flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
I've had exactly the same experience. Sent my 500cm and lens to be repaired. The bill was higher than ebay. So I bought another used. When I asked if they would keep the broken pieces as scrap for repairs, they replied to me that they only used new pieces for repairs, so they sent everything back to me. I now have a broken hasselblad that is too expensive to have repaired but that is not worth much anymore. I haven't found a satisfying solution yet.
A friend of mine checked out the broken body i have, and unjammed it for free. It's still not hasselblad quality repair, but it seems to work. Do you want it ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:03:31 PM by johann »

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
johann, that's a really kind offer thank you.
however :) i've just rung them up because it all seemed slightly nuts and found that their paperwork was kinda muddled (they'd put things in the wrong section) and basically the body and back are okay (they were just going to do a semi service on them)...it's the lens that's the problem...still the same cost of £712 but at least everything else is usable.

so they're sending it all back to me and i'm going to try and get an old cheap lens to keep me going til i'm richer.

anyone know anything about those old silver compur lenses?
:)

johann

• flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »
That's good to hear. At least it's just the lens to replace.
What I know of the old chrome lenses, apart from being quite good looking, they are as good as any other lens. The shutter is different from the more recent ones. And they might not have the T* coating that gives better flare behavior and better contrast.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
I've got one of the chrome C planars without the t* coating. It flares like a barsterward even with the hood on when shooting into the sun- but over time I've got used to it and actually rather enjoy the effect.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
johann, they are good looking aren't they :)

ds, i think i might like that or at least it doesn't put me off.

i've seen a £150mm at an okayish price but i've never used more than an 80mm before on anything...stupid question but how close can you get with that or how far away do you have to be?
i'm often right up in my sitters face with extension tubes but i often like to pull back a little too...can i do that just in the house?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »
I'd suggest you need an 80 (with or without tubes or diopter lenses) and a 150.  I can't exactly remember about magnifications but a 150 does change the balance in your hand, as there's more up-front, so it doesn't always improve spontaneity when portraiting. 

(I'm thinking about replacing my old kit, but it will have to wait!)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
Well, the news is better! I have to  say, I had a 500cm and changed it for a 501cm. The older lens produced beautiful images, the newer lens on the 501 is sharper, but, it seems to have an edge that I don't much care for. That old lens produced results with depth - a bit like toned fibre paper does, if that makes sense?!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
There are lenses on the bay starting at £260, but, if you wanna borrow my 150mm to play with you are very welcome. I hardly use it.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
sandeha, that's a good point about balance.

and thanks for the offer phil though i'm now thinking that being f4 wouldn't really work for me...maybe next time we meet up i could just have a try though..?
and interesting about the 501lens...i'd also prefer the depth over the sharp.

ideally, like sandeha said, i'd get both :)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
Also, I do have a pinhole cap for it...maybe this is when I actually get round to using it :)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
I'll bring it. any excuse for coffee and a natter ;D

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »
Excellent :)

johann

• flickr
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
The 150 is a good idea but the added focal length and the max aperture being F4, you might have more problem avoiding camera shake. I'm guessing from seeing your work that you use natural light and that you shoot hand-held, right ?

Actually, you've been one of the inspiration for me to use that system, as I admire what you do with it (with the other formats as well). Thanks.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
well that's made up for a crappy day, thanks johann.
:)

and yes, you're right, natural light and hand held so sticking with the 80mm would make sense.
at least it's some relief being clear what i need to do..

johann

• flickr
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
You're welcome, Vicky.

The extension tube will also reduce light, so I would go only with the 80. But I never tried the 150, might be great in some situations.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
Just an update on what's happened....

I've now got the camera and lens home...crazy because it looks like new, I'd forgotten what a nice lens it is...very clean and shiny and a late CF T*.
I checked the body and winder was working okay and then put the lens on and it seems to be working as it should. I know this doesn't mean it's okay, it just makes it frustrating.
Anyway I knew I needed to get another as I'm going to send it off to a local chap to look-over and today I found an old one for £200.
Doesn't look much but it is T* and it was CLA'd 3 years ago and not used much since.
Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's okay...he seems very genuine so I can only hope it lasts til I win the pools and can buy something minty :)

I'll post one off the first roll when I have it.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
Hi Vicky.

Glad to hear that you're Hassy's back on the way to being set up again.

From what a guy at a camera shop told me, the Hassy "silver" lenses aren't T*. The T* coating only appears on black bodied lenses and you'll see it shown on the front rim adjacent to the lens itself. I have the silver 150mm/f4 but I've only ever used it on a tripod when shooting landscapes. It is a lovely lens and compresses perspective nicely.

However, f4 isn't exactly a narrow aperture and, if you use the general rule of thumb of "1 over the focal length" (i.e. 1/150th) as the slowest shutter speed that you can hand hold, you should be able to get acceptably sharp results if the light's okay.

The 150mm lens probably equatess to about the same angle of view as a 90mm lens on a 35mm SLR so it should be also be perfect for head and shoulder shots and throw backgrounds out of focus very nicely - without having to get too close to the subject. I'll have a go with mine this weekend if the light gets beyond this drab grey we have over the SE of the UK right now and see how it goes.

All the best and hope to see some stuff from you soon. Paul.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
From what a guy at a camera shop told me, the Hassy "silver" lenses aren't T*. The T* coating only appears on black bodied lenses

This is not true. Some of the later silver bodied hassy lenses are T* coated (including my 50mm).

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
From what a guy at a camera shop told me, the Hassy "silver" lenses aren't T*. The T* coating only appears on black bodied lenses

This is not true. Some of the later silver bodied hassy lenses are T* coated (including my 50mm).

Thanks for pointing that out. I stopped short of saying it was "true" as I thought I'd seen some silver T* lenses but couldn't be certain as the ones I've owned were non-*. The chap who told me this seemed very adamant about it when I was asking about what the difference was between the silver and black lenses were and why b;ack ones always seem to be more expensive.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
The one I've bought is a black C  T*...I couldn't find one at the right price/condition in silver.
I researched using this useful guide...

http://www.rob168.com/camera/Hasselblad.txt

It has a small scratch on the back element but I've been assured that it doesn't affect the images at all...you end up just having to decide to trust someone when it's online.....he did show me some of his work and he seems to be doing very well as a fashion photography (the expensive glossy mags)...if there were any problems I think I could go back to him.

Also I just used my old lens this morning...so far so good (touches wood :).