Author Topic: Come In My Kitchen  (Read 3171 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Come In My Kitchen
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »
I recently bought one of those computer tablet thingies for a knock-down price (thanks to my employer dipping their toe in what’s known as “the tablet market” and then pulling it out again toot sweet, then reducing prices on all their stock by 75%). Now, while I’m disappointed by that state of affairs at a macro level, I would never have been able to shell out £400 for the tablet that I eventually paid £109 for. So on a micro level, Ize a happy bunny.

Now, once you have a tablet (iPad, Touchpad, Playbook, Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire et al) the big question is what on earth you do with them? Well, other than buying stuff (which is what the cynic in me firmly believes is the whole point behind these devices), installing the Kindle app and doing other stuff that would do on a computer (except more slowly, with more swearing and increased use of your index finger and thumb)…one of the things they’re really good at is displaying photos.

I found a nice little app which pulls in photos from custom RSS feeds and displays them in a tasteful slideshow on the tablet when it’s docked. We have ours in the kitchen where we spend most of our time. I love looking over when I’m at home and seeing a succession of the latest photo uploads to the Filmwasters group on Flickr, or any of the other FW-related output on your Tumblr blogs etc. Every 25 seconds I get a new image on the screen anwhile I'm cooking, washing up, making bread, feeding the kids (i.e. breaking up fights and dodging food), wiping ketchup off the floor, drinking beer (well, to be fair, I’m pretty much always drinking beer at home anyway)…anyway, you get the picture. It’s on the whole time in the background and it's awesome.

Now I mention this why exactly?

Well, 2 reasons:

1. I find myself with time to kill in the office at lunchtime (although saying that, the boss has just come back from trying to buy his wife a Christmas present at M&S….he doesn’t look that happy so I’m guessing he struck out).

2. In this day and age, you never can tell where, when and on which device your work will be seen by your audience.

Considering our commitment to traditional photography and its roots in the past (I know, I can't believe I said that either...hmmm), it's pretty cool that we can tie that in with the new, connected world. So, next time some of you upload a picture to Tumblr/Flickr it’s safe to assume it’ll be on display in my kitchen 15 minutes later.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:59:58 PM by ed.wenn »

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Come In My Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
Awesome Ed...

An Ipad is on my plans as well... I'm sure with time you'll find more and more useful.
I know you're into cooking and apparently it can be quite handy in the kitchen with all the food related apps available on the market!

Just uploaded one pic on my flickr... for a test? :D
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
That's pretty cool...
I'm now wondering if there isn't something like that for my Linux box...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
That's a very saucy header, ed.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
Mauricio: I'm being disingenuous and trying to head off the naysayers at the same time...I love my tablet. Also, re the new Flickr image...I'm at work at the moment, but I'll look out for it when I get home  ;)

Sean: Glad you got the reference...and took it a little further. Now stop stirring up trouble!  ;D

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I wish I knew what you were talking about  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
Ed sent me looking for something good without even knowing it... and I did!
For those stuck without Windows 7 (which is supposed to be able to view Flickr streams by itself), I just found a neat little screensaver called Slickr (https://code.google.com/p/slickr-dotnet/)

Apart from the strange part where you need to request an app key from Flickr (don't worry about it, it's easy to do), it is quite neat and seems to work well... best of all it's free :)

I forgot to say it's a Windows only screensaver...
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
"Slickr"... :D
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:42:28 PM »
I wish I knew what you were talking about  ;D

I'm glad I "don't" know what he's talking about!  ;)

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
More to the point - does Ed know what he's talking about ;).  I usually make posts like that at 2pm in the morning with a little too much whiskey in the bloodstream.  I wish I was able to resist the "just keep taking the tablets" comment, but no, alas, its out there now.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
Ed - please can i have one for the same price

Thanks

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
Also, for those who have Picasa installed and can't be bothered by installing another screensaver, just open the Google Image screensaver, select the images from RSS feed and add the following link to it
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/groups_pool.gne?id=391010@N21&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

This long thing will get the images and show them on screen... very nice.
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
Ed... you've GOT to get this app...
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filtatron/id396776418?mt=8

It will transform you tablet into a Moog! :o Obvioulsy getting an original Moog would be awesome, but this can be carryied anywhere...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
I usually make posts like that at 2pm in the morning with a little too much whiskey in the bloodstream. 
Mmm Wensleydale that's a lot of whiskey to get 2pm in the morning. Just tried singing it in a blues style with the guitar, doesn't have the same ring as 2am in the morning, der du du dee ya  :D
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »
I found my iPad makes a great little portfolio to carry around my toy camera/film images on. I read books thru the Kindle app, play some games, and surf the net from the comfort of the couch :)  My cable company also allows me to use it to set my dvr or watch TV on it as long as Im on my home network. Been goofing around with the Garage Band app also, pretty slick. 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
Ed... you've GOT to get this app...
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filtatron/id396776418?mt=8

It will transform you tablet into a Moog! :o Obvioulsy getting an original Moog would be awesome, but this can be carryied anywhere...

Cheers. Sounds great; I'll take a look and see if it's available for webOS (doubtful) or Android.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
I had been wanting an iPad sine they first came out, but couldn't afford one. I finally had the thought that there are so many companies having contests to give them away that I could probably win one if I tried. So I started entering contests that offered iPads as prizes and on the 3rd try, I won one (32mb, 3G). I'd recommend the contest approach to anyone who can't afford one. Just make sure you're etering contests pt on by legitimate entities.

I haven't built a portfolio yet, but that is on my list of things to do over the winter. iPad portfolios have pretty much become standard here in NYC. And it's a great thing to have when traveling, to check emails, etc. And I've loaded my music in there so it makes a nice little juke box when traveling. It has a really long battery life.

And btw, if you're looking for a great case for your iPad, check out the ones at Twevelsouth.com. They cave cases that make your iPad look like an old book so if you're out someplace and someone is watching for a mug when you open your bag, it will just look like you've got an old book in there.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
Good call re the case. I bought a really cr*ppy one for my Touchpad on eBay for about £8.00 which makes my tablet look like a boring old Filofax, or a notebook with a  horrible faux leather cover.

BTW, an update on what tablets are good for....reading comics!! They are the perfect form factor for reading comics and graphic novels. I was prompted to try this by Mauricio's thread earlier last week re the "Camera Comics" publications from the 1940's. I installed an excellent CBR/CBZ reader called Comic Shelf HD and haven't looked back. Awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:12:05 PM by ed.wenn »