Author Topic: Kjaransvegur  (Read 11380 times)

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
Kjaransvegur
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
Edit2: Added larger 750px versions
Edit:(If anything disappears its mirrored on my Pblog http://steveninn.tumblr.com/essays)

In the north there snakes a road skirting cliffs, deep valleys and pebble-filled shores. Kjaransvegur in the Westfjords of Iceland is not for the frail of heart or those without a sense of adventure. For those the road is terrifying, long and ardous but on the other hand it is undeniably an adventure whether you are a hitchhiker, native or a photographer. The namesake of the road (vegur = road | Kjaran = a male name) is undeniably connected to the making of it, as the name suits a certain Einar Kjaransson. Einar carved the road by himself as the outlying farms could only be reached by boats while the national road service (Vegagerðin) estimated the costs to be too high and the landscape too treacherous for any serious roadwork.

Road 622 was carved with a single bulldozer in the 70‘s. Petrol was provided by the outlying farms who could possibly make an economic recovery if the road was built. Almost every day Einar would fuel up his bulldozer nicknamed the Teaspoon (Teskeiðin) and carve the cliffs until he took his breaks or reached another valley etched in the plateu. When the road was completed a number of years later Einar was held in high honor among folk and his road was called a feat of engineering and iron will. Even though the road was completed many outlying farms were abandoned and now only two remain firmly seated for now on the southern side in Lokinhamradal, Arnafjörður.

These photographs roughly examine the desolation and ultimate demise of human settlement at the edge of the world that one man tried to change with his teaspoon.

"
The road skirts inhospitable landscapes for almost sixty km"

"Cliffs loom over the road and sometimes send rocks crashing down"

"Svalvogar, Dýrafjörður. Sold and bought for 6M ISK in 2006, still deserted"

"Sheep holdings, Svalvogar"

"Ruined façade, Svalvogar"

"With farming now at 2% of the national workforce, desertions are numerous"

"Buckshot door, Svalvogar"

"Deserted wares and belongings"

"Eyðibýli, Arnafjörður"

"Arnafjörður"

"Apparition like scarecrows haunt the coast of west Arnafjörður"

"Abandoned boat, Arnafjörður"

"Birds, Arnafjörður"

"Gutted, Arnafjörður"

"Lone soles, Arnafjörður"

"Collapse, Arnafjörður"

"Ruins, Lokinhamradalur"

"Monolith, Svalvogar"

"One of the two remaining habitats in Lokinhamradalur."

"Kids running, Lokinhamradalur"

Social change has happened fast in the past 30 years in my country and this is only a tiny piece of the mosaic. It reflects what has been happening the last 10 years in migration and dwindling finances among  those who choose to live outside the capital city (Reykjavik) and the southwest quarter of Iceland.

None of these ruins will be rebuilt or demolished for a long time. We ran out of money to do that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:45:51 AM by Soap »
35mm -  - Olympus OM10 - Nikon F3HP
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
http://steveninn.tumblr.com/
500PX
http://500px.com/Steveninn

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Kjaransvegur
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
Spectacular; the location to start with, but the story behind the photographs is very compelling too. A great collection of photographs - really conveys the desolate remote feeling, and the black & white and graininess really adds to the feel too. The luminosity of the seagulls, and the stark clouds really standing out.

A place I would love to explore myself... Thanks! Skj.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
Yes, great story and the gritty images accompany it perfectly. The one from the road is just breathtaking.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:13 AM »
i love the background story this location has. very cool.
nice images as well. very captivating.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
flot myndir!

I'm sure I've been on that road- I remember being very, very scared by the massive drop at certain stages.

Worked in Arnafjörður for a few months in 2008- it's a jaw-droppingly beautiful place. I see what you mean about the social change- we were staying in Bildurdalur (forgive my spelling) and the number of deserted houses was quite astonishing. Something like an 80% decrease in population in the last 25yrs?

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Stunning scenery and a great document. Thank you for sharing.

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
a stirring story and captivating photos....and the black and white just seems to make them all the more desolate.
Thanks for sharing this.
I feel like a glutton after reading it.

Thanks again for this humbling essay.
Becky

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »
Great story and greater pictures! The story of the Kjaransvegur remind me of Strindberg's Sagas. Only difference is that this feat was perpetrated by a real hero. The last picture brings a little hope in contrast to the others. Thanks for this.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
Great pictures and a great story! One day I'll make it to Iceland, too.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »
OUTSTANDING photo essay!!  The sooty black and white is so beautifully tempered by some of the most dreamy light.  Lovely.

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 03:11:34 AM »
That is a fascinating story accompanied by awesome photographs that illustrate it perfectly.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
A superb story to be told,  Thanks for this.  I have an interest in remote communities, particularly those around the north atlantic/ north sea.
L.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
Wonderful essay Soap! The pictures are gritty and the story is just amazing! I still cant believe that one man with a bulldozer made that road.
mojave

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
Great story and images to back them up.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
Fantastic stuff. Did you take these photos over an extended period (e.g. several years), or were they all shot at around the same time?

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the great responses ;D. And to answer ed's question these were taken in june of this year over a weekend. It took me awhile to dev all the rolls and pick the winners. 8 rolls or so of pics. Ill gladly answer any questions if you have them  :)
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
500PX

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Hey Soap. Feel free to edit your post and replace the images with ones 750 pixels wide? Not sure of your hosting arrangement, but editing the post here, and upgrading the file size with a new URL is easy, especially if you've got originals to link to?

I think the power of the photographs would be even greater... Skj.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »

Brilliant, beautiful bleakness, you can tase a biting wind.

excellent.

artdog

• 35mm
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 03:25:44 AM »
Wonderfully haunting images that tell a wonderfully haunting tale. Not often do photographs
render me breathless, but these surely did. Thank you ever so much for showing me a
part of the world I didn't know existed.

I want to come back and see these images again because I won't get them out of my head. I thank you
for that. Good art always keeps after me long after I've walked away. Your choice of grainy black and white
is nothing short of spot on.

For some reason they evoke the American Appalachia,(southern coal country) but even more bleak and beautiful for it.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »
quite the essay! thanks for sharing with us, soap.
I'll be sure to give it a visit -if I land on island soil..

I think it's interesting how the buildings deteriorate in a way I haven't seen much of. I wonder if it is because of the climate or the materials used? probably a combination but still, they give off a striking image of the tooth of time~

I'll also second skorjs wishes for larger pictures ;)
/jonas

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
Thanks for all the support  :) I've uploaded 750px wide photos and the experience should be lighter on the eyes now. I'm working on my next essay at (spoiler:spain) the moment and will have the large versions from the get go now obviously.

Thank you for viewing and while you like it I subtly encourage you to check out my photo blog under my profile  ;D
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
500PX