Author Topic: It's the weekend somewhere in filmwaster land thread for 23-25 September 2011  (Read 22846 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Continuing my retro look series.

series so far...  it might be a while before I'm done.

http://hookstrapped.viewbook.com/album/onthelam?p=1#1

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Took a road trip this week down to the Mexico border and back to explore some towns I hadn't been to before. Mostly a Polaroid day, though I did shoot a couple rolls with the Bronica.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

calbisu

• Self-Coat
This is only Polaroid left of a series of three taken at these ladies which mercilessly took every Polaroid I shot of them from my hands. The last one I managed (after a brief fight) to keep it with me.. (the retreating lady has one between her hands)

Polaroid 195 Fuji 100b  Kuala Lumpur

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Carlos, I think you site has been hacked! It seems to be taking me to a guitar site.

Peter, this series is great.

Sean, I love everywhere you go. I live in the wrong place.

Carlos, glad you hung onto this one, nice work.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Hasselblad SWC/M Fuji 160C near Mexia, Texas

astrobeck

Phil- you and the missus need to move to the southwest.  You come every year so you might as well just pack up your stuff and take the plunge!
If you moved to a place between Phoenix and Albuquerque, we could all meet at your place and hang out!

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
Woo! Went to spain in August, here are 3. :)
35mm -  - Olympus OM10 - Nikon F3HP
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
http://steveninn.tumblr.com/
500PX
http://500px.com/Steveninn

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
First role of film run through my newly acquired Agfa Isoly....can't fnd anything  not to  like about this camera!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:32:22 PM by Diane Peterson »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
You come every year so you might as well just pack up your stuff and take the plunge!

That time is getting close, Beck!

Diane, super shot

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
Thank you Phil...and I'm thinking just a bit more north and west :) then we could all get together!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: It's the weekend somewhere in filmwaster land thread for 23-25 September 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
and I'm thinking just a bit more north and west Smiley then we could all get together!

Oh, I try and not let distance get in my way!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:12:44 PM by Phil Bebbington »

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
Re: It's the weekend somewhere in filmwaster land thread for 23-25 September 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
 :) :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »

Phil- you and the missus need to move to the southwest.  You come every year so you might as well just pack up your stuff and take the plunge!
If you moved to a place between Phoenix and Albuquerque, we could all meet at your place and hang out!

Flagstaff is the only place I could recommend between Phoenix and Albuquerque! Not much else happening, unless you want to live in a half abandoned town with no jobs.

and excellent shot with the Agfa!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
Great images.
Diane - love that!
Hookstrapped - no.2 is fab
Some nice B&W grain there chaps.
The darkroom work is coming along. Here are 2 images from Hoy, Orkney. Contax G2. Neopan 400. Printed on Ilford MGWT semi-matt fibre in Acugrade.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

rkbry

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
Nice photos, everyone! It's such a treat to read the weekend FW threads.

This photo is from last weekend -- wind turbines on the 580 near Altamont Pass just after sunrise. I shot it with my Pentax KX and 50/1.4 on HP5+. I love this film, and I don't know why I don't use it more often. Developed in HC-110 dilution H.

--
rob

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
OOOOh, I wanna play!

Ok here are two cyanotypes and one silver gelatin print I made this week. Technically I shot the photos last week, but I hadn't developed them yet :)

Oh, also I shot these with my trusty holga and some HP5 ( antlers) and Ilford delta 3200 ( lightbulbs) film

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
City bwoy goes country... Pinhole Goose and 340
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:24:18 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

astrobeck

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Miller-that's great!

Laura- glad to see you here!  Love your chalk series!

Phil- There's always Sedona....a place for old hippies  ;D

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Thanks Beck!

Also, I was just watching a show about Sedona. From the 3 minutes I watch I gathered it was full of pretty Mountains, UFO activity and a few crazies. Sounds like fun!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
Phil- There's always Sedona....a place for old hippies

Well, I'm 50% there. More work to do, obviously!

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »

Love the Retro from Hook & Sean, Diane too.

Three from Brighton, Kodak Cresta 3 Fomapan 100 in RO9 and then taped to a dirty old scanner for a bit of patina stylie  ;D

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
I'm liking the patina :)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »

I hate the word, makes me shudder  ;D Just checked out your Antlers, very nice and no mistake, Millers sails and Phils, errrr, not sure what it is but I like it.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:26 PM »
Here's one from summer 2010.  Baas Hill in Hertfordshire.  Nice and peaceful.

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
So much to like, as usual, from everyone.  Karl's Orkney landscapes, Rob's turbines and Laura's cyanotypes especially appealing. Off to Bristol this weekend taking no.1 son back to university, so no time to scan this week's roll of HP5 or polas yet.  Instead, here are a couple of landscapes from earlier in the summer, just scanned. Nick

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:14 AM »
rkbry: nice composition on those wind turbines.

charlesbinns: I love the composition of that tree. It looks like an important tree.

I had a bit of luck with some old Kodak cz 100 I found in a thrift store. Ran it through my Holga 35 and got some fun stuff.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:47 AM »
Laura, beautiful! Really like the third one, just great.

Phil, I am afraid I have not been hacked. I stopped using my website and gave it away. Do now know how but someone decided that "calbisu" was a good name for a site. At least they are selling guitar-related stuff..  ::) by the way your shot reminds me very strongly to a "Orreo", site to preserve food on norht west of Spain http://objetivomalaga.diariosur.es/fotos-antoniovelez/otras-ciudades-paises/orreo-gallego-682809.html thanks for the warning!  8)

Soap, great mood in that first one

fwank

• 35mm
    • retrospective
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
calbisu:  great story, and it could only happen with a polaroid/instant film.

the windmills look like a stop animation to me.

i love holgacz3.  that photo is awesome.  i'd put that on my wall/fridge any day.

two from chickies rock in lancaster, PA a few months ago.  titled: the jumper and motion respectively.  pentax 67 75mm pro160s 220

one from a new jersey band, Penfold.  shot during the crowd explosion for "i'll take you everywhere" at their reunion show in 2006 with f3hp f1.4 50mm Hp5+.  signed at their reunion show a few days ago.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »
calbisu:  great story, and it could only happen with a polaroid/instant film.

Ja,ja, yes it was quite a thing. I am pretty sure they were prostitutes, they were selling massage services; so they offered one to me. I kindly declined and counter offer to photograph them showing with great signs and movements my Polaroid 195 (knowing in advance the considerable amount of energy it would require to do so). They kind of agreed and asked their pimp if it was OK, which he condescended. I took first photograph (by the way the one that I liked the most) and one of them was bitterly complaining (in chinese) because her face was half hidden by her companion (If may I say in quite an artistic way ; ) So the one that was happy with it took it from my hands. Then I said one more, one more!!  :'( So the angry one said OK, I took her photo and I cut her face unwillingly, ooops. She was not happy at all, that I can tell you. But still he took the photograph with her  ::) Well I had no photos with me so I begged for one more, as soon as I had it within my hands the angry lady jumped to take it from my hands but I was faster  ;D She started to curse me in chinese and the other lady to laugh at her. I finally retreated to safe heaven with the Pola...

By the way Fwank, that last shot from you has loooots of energy  :o

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
Phil, I am afraid I have not been hacked. I stopped using my website and gave it away.

Glad to hear that there is no problem. It's just that it is still linked through your profile, hence my suspicion!

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »
beautiful images collection.

Really like those images from Laura, great idea, 3rd one especially

here continuing the series on art and disables a few more from the past couple of days

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Salvo - these are superb.
L.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »

Ditto
yes, specially like the first one

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »
Another wonderful W/E thread.

My votes this week go to...

hookstrapped - quality stuff!

sean - two very different, and excellent, images

Phil - you have a knack of finding and taking the most wonderful abstract objects

Diane - wonderfully random!

Karl - love the old coach and its final resting place ending where the telegraph poles stop

Laura - very creative, no.1 stands out for me

miller - same subject but the 2 images couldn't be more different

miles - must empty my Dyson on the scanner!!!

Salvo - 5 showstoppers! excellent stuff

Thought I'd better start posting more of my images from the last Ridgeway Ramble as the next one is only a week away!!! All taken with my Agfa Super Isolette and HP5

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »
Damn, Paul, the second and third, especially the third...

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated

Paul beautiful images, can't decide whether my fav is 2 or 3

Ditto
yes, specially like the first one

Another wonderful W/E thread.

My votes this week go to...

hookstrapped - quality stuff!

sean - two very different, and excellent, images

Phil - you have a knack of finding and taking the most wonderful abstract objects

Diane - wonderfully random!

Karl - love the old coach and its final resting place ending where the telegraph poles stop

Laura - very creative, no.1 stands out for me

miller - same subject but the 2 images couldn't be more different

miles - must empty my Dyson on the scanner!!!

Salvo - 5 showstoppers! excellent stuff

Thought I'd better start posting more of my images from the last Ridgeway Ramble as the next one is only a week away!!! All taken with my Agfa Super Isolette and HP5

Paul
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:25:58 PM by salvo »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
I risked putting my pano films from China through the one hour lab this morning. This is some of the better results.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
Peter!
OMGosh!
Those panos are stunners....I love the colors.

What film is this???  It's so plush.
You must share more!  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:40:25 PM by astrobeck »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
Paul, that second one has really some finesse, a delicatessen..

Peter, mmhh, looking at your shots makes me badly want to have a Panos camera. Are those 6x9 or 6x12? Or is that the hasselblad? Anyway they look fantastic!

Lawrie

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Three incredible images there Paul. They deserve to framed and displayed together as a threesome!!

Regards,

Lawrie.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
Peter!
OMGosh!
Those panos are stunners....I love the colors.

What film is this???  It's so plush.
You must share more!  :)

It's Ektar. I do find it can be difficut to get the colours correct when scanning but I think I've got Vuescan set up now to get it close to what it should be.

Quote from: calbisu
Are those 6x9 or 6x12? Or is that the hasselblad? Anyway they look fantastic!
It's 35mm. Negs are approx 24mm by 58mm. Camera is a Horizon. I bought it a couple of weeks ago specifically for this trip. They can be tempermental but I only had two negs with issues on them out of about 50 I took.

Here's a few more. Incidentally, all these were taken hand-held. The first one below was a grab shot.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
Hasselblad swc/m Fuji 160c in Crete

Patrick

• 35mm
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
A few from last sunday night with the Rolleiflex and some expired T64

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
So many to marvel at.
Paul - that second shot is just stunning. I love the way the shadow makes a smile between the trees.
Patrick - love the third shot
Salvo - amazing portraits
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »
love the portraits Salvo, and the also Peter's panos of the Chinese village scenes.

i've finally got myself into medium format...

some shots on Provia 100F from my first attempts on 120, all from the south of Spain

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
The work on this thread is wonderful :)

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
I agree! It is a good weekend :))

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
i've finally got myself into medium format...
No turning back now, and why should you when they are so good. LOVE image 3!

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »
another from the first roll out of the Agfa Isoly