Author Topic: Official: Disappointment Thread.  (Read 12669 times)

UK Roger

• 35mm
Re: Official: Disappointment Thread.
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Thanks for that Paul, its good to know there are caring people out there.  I`ll be totally honest and say that I've never cried so much in all my life, and this is after spending 31 years motorcycle racing and loosing many friends in racing accidents.

I've told friends that "time heals", but now its hit closer to home, I`m having my doubts.

The photography / camera sites are the only ones that I can be bothered looking at, at the mo, trying desperately to keep the mind engaged so`s not to think too deep.

Thanks once again

Roger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
This is just my take on stuff, Roger, I don't pretend I know anything important or that I have any answers. For me, time just rounds off the sharp edges and lets me live with things. I'm a firm believer that this is no dress rehearsal, so we might as well enjoy it and be as good to one another as we can while we're able.

It's good to have a passion - even just a distraction - at times like this. Dwelling on the past and doing the "if only" routine is, in my book, futile. It's probably hard to swallow right now but you will come out of this and you will laugh and have good times in the future.

Like I said before, if you can do it, all I can suggest is that you accept things for what they are and really immerse yourself in something that's got a goal to aim at - whatever it may be.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:38 AM »
Roger - i am so sorry that you have lost someone who is clearly so important to you. Very little that any one can say will take away your feelings about it right now, but time really does help.  You will still miss her in the years to come, but your memories will become increasingly focused on fondness rather than grief.

I know how difficult it can be to accept help, but talking these things through with someone who is outside of the situation can really assist in dealing with the awful emptiness and grief - http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/ are an extremely professional and compassionate voluntary organisation - well worth thinking about in the weeks to come.

take care
L.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »
I shot a couple of rolls of Infra red film last week in Spain.  Unfortunately I forgot to switch the ******* camera to bulb mode so have just developed two blank films.  *&%$£!!!!!!!  Actually one exposure did come out - I decided to try an experiment and repeatedly trip the shutter on my holga. 

Luckily the other 12 rolls of normal film all came out fine so it's not the end of the world.  But what a @£$%***g stupid way to waste film!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
Timmy B (DJ name) had his second thrombosis of the year today. He kicked off the last one and at the moment is fighting this one for all he is worth.

He's old and he's tired, but, he's a fighter and I'd quite like him around for a while longer. He is overnighting at the vet's on drugs and the strictly Come Dancing result show. If you have a spare thought, he could use it.

astrobeck

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
well thoughts for Timmy B headed your way Phil.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 07:25:25 PM »
Thanks, Becky. I told him this morning that he was to old to pull beetroot!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »
Aww, I'm sending fighter mojo to Timmy B. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 03:41:05 PM »
anger. dissapointment. sadness. confusion.... not enough members are paying their fees for the photoclub so they're set on shutting down shop. meaning I'm losing my darkroom.  this hurts more than I ever thought it would :'(  

besh wishes for timmy b<3 GO GO SUPER CAT!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:00:34 AM by jojonas »
/jonas

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
jojonas

What will happen to the equipment, suggest you volunteer to store it?  Some years ago the company I worked for consolidated their darkroom equipment and the redundant equipment went to the works camera club, who at that stage didn't have premises but were going to set up in a room at the works social club but it never happened.  There was some good equipment there and I didn't see it again.

Best wishes for timmy also.

Mike

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.

Life No.2 used up - blood clot cleared and now he is playing the invalid card. Plenty of food, a heated bed and the radio left on all day for him!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
We had 6 cats when Lara and I got together (all hers) but now, sadly, we have but 3. Our oldest (Smokey a.k.a. Spud) is an older and rather rotund British Short-hair "Blue". He's the softest, loveliest cat I've ever known but he's getting on and is now on daily meds for arthritis. He hates it when we go on holiday - despite our cat-sitter being a gem of a lady who treats him like royalty. However, we just keep hoping he'll still be there for us for as long as possible.

Sorry to hear of your cat's tribulations, Phil. BIG positive vibes coming across the UK to Timmy B from Lara and me.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
jojonas

What will happen to the equipment, suggest you volunteer to store it?  Some years ago the company I worked for consolidated their darkroom equipment and the redundant equipment went to the works camera club, who at that stage didn't have premises but were going to set up in a room at the works social club but it never happened.  There was some good equipment there and I didn't see it again.

Best wishes for timmy also.

Mike
I'm taking all I can get my hands on, ofcourse :) I've got my eyes set on the one enlarger that can handle medium format~ maybe the leica with mechanical autofocus too (though that is without a red filter)
the rest of the group suggested binning it the rest but there's a film and camera store with their own gallery and darkroom in town that I'm sure could take care of the rest.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Life No.2 used up - blood clot cleared and now he is playing the invalid card. Plenty of food, a heated bed and the radio left on all day for him!
glad to hear it :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:09:27 AM by jojonas »
/jonas

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
my thoughts go out to timmy!

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
I'm taking all I can get my hands on, ofcourse :) I've got my eyes set on the one enlarger that can handle medium format~ maybe the leica with mechanical autofocus too (though that is without a red filter)
the rest of the group suggested binning it the rest but there's a film and camera store with their own gallery and darkroom in town that I'm sure could take care of the rest.

Good for you.

Mike

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
Marco Simoncelli (58) RIP

Woke this morning with CJ to watch the penultimate Moto GP race and saw the lap two crash...

Race cancelled and about two hours later his death confirmed. I had to explain to CJ that some people will pass away doing what they love in sporting events... Tough one...

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
very sad to hear another death by racing. recently dan wheldon died from a car crash.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
I can't say I knew these guys particularly well but their passing reminds me of an old Tibetan proverb:

‘It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.’

I'm not always sure I agree with this but I can understand that there are people out there who get off on putting their lives on the line for fame, fortune, notoriety or glory. As Miller suggested, this might have been the way Marco wanted to make his exit.

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
I can't say I knew these guys particularly well but their passing reminds me of an old Tibetan proverb:

‘It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.’

I'm not always sure I agree with this but I can understand that there are people out there who get off on putting their lives on the line for fame, fortune, notoriety or glory. As Miller suggested, this might have been the way Marco wanted to make his exit.

Agreed.   Very sad.   My heart was in my mouth when I saw the accident, I`ve `been there` and nearly `done that`so many times.   Until you`ve done it yourself, you can`t understand why people put their lives at risk.   There are so many corners, especially on the Isle of Man TT course, where if you are just 6 inches off line there is a very likely chance that you are going to die, but when you come out the other side of that corner the `high` that it gives you is indescribable.   I did it for 31 years, so I know only too well what the consequences can be for failure, I`ve lost many racing friends.   But sooner be that "tiger" than that "sheep".   RIP Marco

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
Got around to rolling some vericolor into VP backing paper so I could use my 127 cameras... start to load it into the Imperial Delta and the flash snaps off leaving the contacts stuck in the camera  ::)  awesome.  I bought a second delta specifically for the flash and it just broke.

So I decided to put the film into the Imperial Satellite instead.  ;D  Hopefully it's still good or I'll be making another post in this thread in a month.