Author Topic: Official: Disappointment Thread.  (Read 12675 times)

Steven.

• Peel Apart
Official: Disappointment Thread.
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:54 AM »
I figured i would make this since we all have rough days and need some room to vent.

So today i picked up a Canon Elan ii gripped with 50mm 1.8 for $120. considering i can sell the 50 1.8 for $100 i was satisfied with my purchase. i tested it out and everything was A-okay. I brought it home and threw a roll of film in, and when i went to change it to manual mode, the command dial broke. I managed to turn it on by jamming a pair of scissors into the hole and twisting it but i know my batteries will just die out soon anyways. luckily i grabbed another from KEH for ~$20 but still what a bummer.

On a non camera related note, i took a japanese exam today. i wrote the whole thing in japanese.. apparently the teacher wanted most of the answers in english. i hate my life.

So what made you sad/disappointed today?

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
Re: Official: Disappointment Thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »

Sometimes you just have to accept that the person you are talking to is a self possessed moron and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
i was looking this morning on KEH.com to maybe pick up
some odds and ends -They have good pricing on their items but
it seems that they have a flat rate shipping price to Ireland. $59.00

I checked the shipping on a mamiya film back = $59.00

Camera strap = $59.00

I logged out very quickly  ::)

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
B&H are just as bad, wanted a rare sized step up ring and the postage was  :o  ...

It was cheaper to have the thing made...

Oh, and my liquidation documents Mail Merge is pi55_ng me right off at the moment...

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
i was looking this morning on KEH.com to maybe pick up
some odds and ends -They have good pricing on their items but
it seems that they have a flat rate shipping price to Ireland. $59.00

I checked the shipping on a mamiya film back = $59.00

Camera strap = $59.00

I logged out very quickly  ::)

now that is ridiculous.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
i took a japanese exam today. i wrote the whole thing in japanese.. apparently the teacher wanted most of the answers in english.

しょがない。。。

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

....the same thing that saddens and disappoints me every day.

32 years spent working hard and as smart as I can muster in an industry (that used to be a profession) that cares little about people and looks, at every opportunity, to replace them with automated, rules-based processes and e-trading. 15 years to retirement age, little by way of truly portable skills, knackered knees, failing eyesight, overweight and having a sh*tty and uber-expensive daily commute (1 Hr 45 each way) into London.

Well, you asked.  :(

"Some days you're a bug. Others your a windscreen." Hopefully, I'll have a "windscreen day" soon........
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

32 years spent working hard and as smart as I can muster in an industry (that used to be a profession) that cares little about people and looks, at every opportunity, to replace them with automated, rules-based processes and e-trading. 15 years to retirement age, little by way of truly portable skills, knackered knees, failing eyesight, overweight and having a sh*tty and uber-expensive daily commute (1 Hr 45 each way) into London.

"Some days you're a bug. Others your a windscreen." Hopefully, I'll have a "windscreen day" soon........

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
less dissapointment and more shock and horror as I accidentally updated a whole database for a maintenance system at work today
- so noone can use it :o

luckily the back up only took one hour instead of the usual FIVE DAYS :D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
I've stopped complaining and watching the news a few years ago... too depressing...
Whining just makes it worse... It just makes the bad things in life seem more important than they really are.

But on the other hand, I saw last Sunday on a used car lot an Audi R8... and now I want one really bad but I'd have to sell all my cameras and probably part of the house just to get it... not a good idea since you can't sleep in an un-winterized two seater...

For those who don't know what it is, here's some drooling material
http://www.audi.ca/ca/brand/en/models/r8.html
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:42 AM »
But on the other hand, I saw last Sunday on a used car lot an Audi R8... and now I want one really bad but I'd have to sell all my cameras and probably part of the house just to get it...

Nothing quite like snatching third on red-line out of the toll-gates with a GT-R running next to you... Do it.

sethasaurus

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:24:30 AM »

LD: And you're gonna do the same thing tomorrow?

Audi R8... and now I want one really bad
Francois: Steal one. They'll never catch you   ;)

I think everybody's got what they settle for..
"Dear friends. My work is done. Why wait?"... 'BANG'
- George Eastman. Mar 14, 1932.

Terry

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »
Another day spent lecturing to bored students who know it all already.  But I know that I'm going to drag my arse out of bed before the crack of dawn on Sunday to shoot some Portra at magic hour and that makes it all OK!!!!!  (It really does.  That and the fact that I found a brand-new Epson v700 in the art history research room and wheedled my way into permission to use it whenever I want.)

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »
Another day spent lecturing to bored students who know it all already.  But I know that I'm going to drag my arse out of bed before the crack of dawn on Sunday to shoot some Portra at magic hour and that makes it all OK!!!!!  (It really does.  That and the fact that I found a brand-new Epson v700 in the art history research room and wheedled my way into permission to use it whenever I want.)

Shooting really does make everything feel better.

So today I had to spend another 200 on textbooks for college. It's necessary but what a bummer especially since I'll never use the books after this semester.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
@ Sethasuarus.

Yes. You're probably right that we get what we settle for but, when you have commitments / mortgages and a lifestyle with which you're comfortable, tyou put up with he daily grind. As others have said, what we do for our day jobs provides us with the money to indulge our interests. I could probably downscale my lifestyle - but I doubt my wife would........ ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
Skorj & Seth:
Well, I did manage to put my hand on it... they just didn't give me the keys  ::)
I hope their car washer is good... he'll have to clean plenty of drool that's dripping from it :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:08 PM »
I have a trapped nerve in my back still, over a month now - my back hurts, my legs hurt.   Im stuck at this desk for 12 hours a day for a lot less cash than I used to get. Its the day before payday so I cant even afford to go for a pint after work.

On the plus side I got a free mini football today.

sethasaurus

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »
@ Sethasuarus.

Yes. You're probably right that we get what we settle for but, when you have commitments / mortgages and a lifestyle with which you're comfortable, tyou put up with he daily grind. As others have said, what we do for our day jobs provides us with the money to indulge our interests. I could probably downscale my lifestyle - but I doubt my wife would........ ;)

LD: If you spend 1hr45 each way to e.g. an 8 hour job, and maybe you get 8hrs sleep each night, then you really only have 24 - 11.5 - 8 = 4.5hrs to enjoy the lifestyle you're comfortable with. Take away mealtimes, doing dishes, etc and what's left?

Jeez, I just realised I'm probably making it sound worse, but ..

Right now I can't actually work and I'm forced to be comfortable with staying in 90% of the time but I have every faith that my treatments will actually work. Being sick means I've hit rock-bottom and been forced to slow down, which gave me lots of time to think about what I really want to do, rather than 'working for the man'.
In the meantime, I've been planning to: open a small food outlet, do my masters degree via Harvard Extension School and get a pilots license, then a light aircraft to do deliveries/charters or tour flights between Scotland and the northern islands.

Plans, anyway! But it feels good to know even though you can't act yet, the decisions you've made are still good in a month or two, when you still feel enthusiastic.

Maybe you can make some decisions on what really makes you happy..

(it's just my 2c :)

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 03:02:57 AM »
no time or not able to shoot with film cameras on a daily basis. and or a lack of creativity or lack of better subjects. but eventually would have time to focus on it. and let go of the daily grind of work and chores.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
The instructions to correct my kalart rangefinder on the crown graphic make no sense to me...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
Life is strange; now I am making lots of money with my job and not enjoying it a bit, when the original reason for doing this kind of jobs was not to make money but enjoying the work itself  :P

Still, the Happiness thread doubles in entries the Disappointment thread  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:51:42 PM by calbisu »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
Hi Seth.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your illness and I hope you're soon on the road to recovery. My gripes are insignificant in comparison.

8 hours sleep? I can't remember the last time I got more than 5 and usually it's nearer 4. The daily grind is precisely that - sleep, travel, work, travel, domestics, sleep - then repeat the dose for the next 4 days. I've never had kids - I've had neither the time nor inclination to have any. Ever.

Weekends and holidays are what I live for and I try to earmark at least one day to go and shoot whatever's around and in whatever prevailing weather conditions.

sethasaurus

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Hi Seth.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your illness and I hope you're soon on the road to recovery. My gripes are insignificant in comparison.

8 hours sleep? I can't remember the last time I got more than 5 and usually it's nearer 4. The daily grind is precisely that - sleep, travel, work, travel, domestics, sleep - then repeat the dose for the next 4 days. I've never had kids - I've had neither the time nor inclination to have any. Ever.

Weekends and holidays are what I live for and I try to earmark at least one day to go and shoot whatever's around and in whatever prevailing weather conditions.

Thanks LD but to me the only issue is I'm someone that used to do 6 things at once and now I can only do 0 or 1 per day. I am surely on the road to recovery as I feel it every day but it is a long road (5 years+) I'm safe in the knowledge of new research (current mainstream medicine is insufficient) and the fact that hundreds of people already have been cured on this new treatment.

Even when life throws you something bad, you can take advantage of it. I've really centred myself and gained so much strength, knowledge and self-awareness, as well as a new respect for all kinds of people. I just have to sit at the end of the track a bit longer, and then you won't see me for dust!

I assumed you had children, so that's  a load off!  ;)

Some of the articles by Steve Pavlina are great. This one brings up some good points:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/11/how-to-earn-10000-in-one-hour/
(its not about selling Avon or anything).

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:32:28 PM by sethasaurus »

sethasaurus

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
I'm not disappointed enough for this topic so I'll hang out in the happiness thread instead  ;)

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 04:30:44 AM »
gotta put down my dog tomorrow. feeling so bad right now   :(

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
Hi Sprayandpray.

That's awful but you know it's the right thing to do if it's the only thing to do. We had 6 cats but we've now only got 3 and, as much as it tears you apart to do it, you know you can't leave an animal in pain or distress.

Deepest sympathies and my thoughts are with you.

Paul.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Skorj & Seth:
Well, I did manage to put my hand on it... they just didn't give me the keys  ::)
I hope their car washer is good... he'll have to clean plenty of drool that's dripping from it :)

So, I wont tell you then I felt no guilt what so ever taking an R8 exploring the back roads of Izu looking for abandoned resort then...

Nothing like the smell of a hot stainless exhaust cooling on a mist covered summer mountain. Bessa R3a, with an Avenon 21mm and XP2 Super if it matters... Skj.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »

R8...   8)

you are right in feeling no guilt, a car like this needs to be driven!

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
My eldest leaves for Surrey tomorrow  :(

On the up-side, he's starting a new phase of his life amd I can be pleased that I have brought him up to be confident to move so far away from home (I wasn't at his age)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:21:46 PM by Windy »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
S&P - I'm really sorry to hear you're having to say goodbye to your old friend. A tough call to make, but when you know it's the right thing to do, then there is no other option. Sad times.
L.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »
S&P - I'm really sorry to hear you're having to say goodbye to your old friend. A tough call to make, but when you know it's the right thing to do, then there is no other option. Sad times.

thanks!

yeah. the last 14 years were great. i really didn't want to but i can't be selfish when i knew he's in pain.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:50 AM »
got film developed back from the lab. results were disappointing. it might be the olympus mju zoom not providing same results as before. time to retire it.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
I found a nest of baby mice and mother under our shoe cupboard this morning.  I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to animals, vermin or not, I just can't see that it is my role to take their lives, so i took the whole nest to the woods and tucked it behind a tree stump.  I'm sure something will get them, if it hasn't already. I'm feeling a bit disappointed in how cruel life is in most cases.  :(
L.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
It's one of the few luxuries on the planet - that we can reflect on what we kill.  But you made a good choice, Leon.

astrobeck

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Leon- I have to do the same thing when I find mice nest's in our firewood rack.  It is one of my most dreaded chores!    :( :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:15:49 PM by astrobeck »

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »
so the guy at walgreens told me that they are going to stop doing everything film.
kind of disappointing since its convenient to get snapshots developed there for cheap.
now i have to go to my local lab for everything and pay their prices.

i cant wait to graduate and move out so i have room to create my own darkroom.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
Sad stuff makes me sad, so I hate to contribute but I've just gotta share: I bit into the yummiest looking peach today and it turned out to be a potato in disguise.  (I hate that!)

Leon - very kind of you - good karma and all...

Sean - would this help? http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/new.html

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I bit into the yummiest looking peach today and it turned out to be a potato in disguise.  (I hate that!)

That happens to me all the time.   
L.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
Sad stuff makes me sad, so I hate to contribute but I've just gotta share: I bit into the yummiest looking peach today and it turned out to be a potato in disguise.  (I hate that!)

Leon - very kind of you - good karma and all...

Sean - would this help? http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/new.html

looks like it! makes more sense than the instructions that came with it that don't seem to match the finder.
spanks!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
A few months ago I had a potential client who was a museum curator and I really REALLY wanted to shoot there wedding. They had a lower budget than I was used to, but I said I could accommodate that. In any case they hired someone else in the end and she normally charges more than I do ( I think) so I wonder if she lowballed me. ... her normal price is over twice what they told me their budget was.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »
This thread makes it back to the top: Our 1975 Mini MUB 122P (Mubby) was stolen last night... Lil CJ in tears..   >:(

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
Damn, Miller!

I'm sorry, man.

Lowlife :'( >:(

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »
This thread makes it back to the top: Our 1975 Mini MUB 122P (Mubby) was stolen last night... Lil CJ in tears..   >:(

that really stinks. I'm sorry for you all. Do you think it was an opportunist or stolen to order? not that it should make a difference to their scum-rating.   
L.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
What a bummer Miller, hope the perps get caught and Mubby returns home soon

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »
Thanks guys... The hard part was explaining to CJ that chances are the perps will not be caught..

Yep, these economic times are pushing crime up big time.. Bums even took his car seat..

Rgds

Mlr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Blimey Miller, really sorry to hear you news - we were only admiring the little beauty on Saturday...!! (By the way, it couldn't be me as I wouldn't get in it or, if I did, I wouldn't be getting out again in a hurry...)

Hope they catch the swine. Mind you, it's probably some eejit who would be too thick to feel pain if he got a good kicking.

There can't be too many white-top, royal blue, automatic minis of that vintage on the road. You never know....

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
Miller- that sucks, i hope justice will be served.

today my friend lined up a shoot for us to do and it just so happens i woke up late today for classes. i rushed out the door and forgot all my gear. drag.

astrobeck

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Miller- that totally sucks! So sorry to hear this, and hope lil CJ is not too traumatized by it.

Rat bast@@ds!

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
I really don`t know what I`m doing on here right now, guess trying to keep the mind occupied and to stop thinking.  "Why am I sad"?,  I've just lost my dearest friend, she was the light of my life.  The future just appears to be a black void, nothing else seems to matter, it puts things into perspective. I've no idea when I`ll be able to pick up a camera again, let alone worry whether its digital or film.  The love of a close friend or partner is far more important than all that `other stuff`.  Hopefully one day I`ll be able to get the camera out with some enthusiasm.

Sorry for the downbeat tone of my post, but hopefully you`ll be able to understand my low mood at the present time.  But you did ask . . .

Roger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:04 PM »
I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss Roger. It's going to take some time to recover - but recover you must as your friend surely wouldn't have wanted you to go into a tail-spin. You won't ever forget such a close friend and the time you spent together will always be precious.

Ironically, throwing myself into some challenging and enjoyable work and non-work stuff helped ground me and get control of my emotions when I lost my mum and dad some years ago. Maybe the same therapy might work for you? Only you know your own mind, though.

Anyway, keep your chin up and do whatever it takes to think of the good stuff as the rest is a downward spiral you don't want to go near.

Best wishes. Paul.