Author Topic: Car Boot Sale finds  (Read 9166 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Car Boot Sale finds
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
Hi all - anyone manage to get out to a car boot sale today? Any bargains?

I found this rather natty little Ilford Sportsman Mk II circa 1959 for less than the cost of 2 pints of beer.

I wasn't really bothered about it until I opened it up and saw this colourful painted Ilford ad inside:

It is guestimate focusing, has 4 shutter speeds (B, 1/25, 1/50 & 1/200) and a f3.5 Dacora Dignar lens which is a bit fungussy, but might make for some interesting contra-jour flare ...

I cleaned it up as soon as i got home, and replaced the peeling leatherette.  I thought I'd go for a snazzy orange leather on the front, and the usual black on the back and bottom.  I might change it back to black on the front ... I guess I'll live with it for a while before I decide.

It's been a long time since I bought a piece of junk camera - can't wait to try it out.
L.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Re: Car Boot Sale finds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
I vote for keeping the Orange..looks snazzy!!

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Looks great now! :D Awesome find!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
A Piece of junk!
Nice cameras those. I have one but only with two speeds. With mine also, the shutter works in a way that means one side of the neg is always darker then the other. Nice lens though

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
orange is cool.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
my new bike is orange.
(sorry, I had to post this as I saw I was on 499 posts and wanted to break the 500 mark now)
there you go 500 posts, ta da!
 :D
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Finally! Leon has again crossed the line to the world of cheap cameras!
I must admit it looks pretty good... But somehow, I think Orange, while being very nice (I had an orange period for a looong time) might not be monochromatic enough for you ;)
Painting it 18% gray might be more to your liking  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »

I went to Brighton today anf got a Coronet Twelve-20 with a natty green filter, then stumbled on a cheap and perfect Trip 35 and Agfa Clack, at a tenner each I had to get them.  ;D

Means I'll have another Clack going very cheap if another FW wants it ?

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
I'm usually at two car boots a weekend but due to hangovers and cash flow this weekend I didn't manage it. I usually pick up a few polaroid 600's for couple of quid each, they usually go straight on the bay for 10-20 quid ;-)

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:38 AM »

Here's the new gang, with the Lomo 135BC from the other day.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
I have been trying to get that Lomo for ages!!! Never cheap...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
I've got one of those sportsmen cameras - they're not actually a piece of junk. Takes kind of boringly perfect photos to me and I prefer my finetta 88 for that sort of photoing as it has a bit more heft to it and a brighter lens(f/2.8). But, hey, my finetta was described as a piece of junk by the camera repair guy i took it to to get it tuned up  ;)

Really should offer up the sportsman on here sometime (but I'm too busy to ship anything atm). 
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
My wife and did a car boot sale on behalf of her sister a couple of weeks ago. A guy across the way from our table had an interesting looking aluminium flight case containing all sorts of old, beaten-up camera stuff - mostly Practica but he also had an Ilford Sportsman. I asked "how much" the Sportsman was and he said although he wanted £45 for the lot, he'd sell me the Sportsman for £15.

I had a closer look at it and it was in pretty poor condition cosmetically. The rangefinder square was almost non-existant, the winder lever was a bit loose / flappy and it "crunched" a bit when I fired it and wound on. I might have given him a couple of quid for it but he was insistant that it was a "classic" and worth every penny of the asking price. At that point I declined his offer politely and left, convinced he was going to be taking it (and the rest of his gear) home.

He had the last laugh, though, as someone bought the whole lot for £35. I suppose the moral is that there's a buyer for everything if you persevere.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
See my other post for info on the film I found at a booty in London. There was an Agfa Click in there too somehwre and I played around with it for a couple of secs before putting it back. It was virtually mint....but I really don't need another camera. As I walked away I felt like I'd betrayed something sacred.

:-\ ;)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I have one something like this.  A rangefinder sportsman (metered) with the fabled Cassar 45/2.8.  It was given to me last year after spending ten years in a garden shed - and it works.  Only issue is the condition of the exterior finish.  Reckon it might benefit from a couple coats of camo paint, or something.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
but I really don't need another camera. As I walked away I felt like I'd betrayed something sacred.
You sure you don't? ;)
Somehow, this is not Ed talk... it sounds more like Jacqui talk  ;D
Francois

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »

I already have a Clack and still I bought another !

I've got it bad.  They are quite neat fella's.

These are all Clack, forgive the lack of "real" scan.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=42222152@N06&q=agfa+clack&m=text

You would appreciated the German-ness too Ed  ;)

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
I used to go to many "Car Boot Sales" but I have not been able because of my job. But here is one I got awhile back it is the Agfa Isolette. The interesting thing is that it was made around in the late 40's. The manual was printed around 6.47. It has an inscription inside from a corporal stationed in Gelnhausen, Germany. And the date September 20, 1948. The name of the owner is unreadable. But one can find out who what US Army group was there, look up a roster, and look up the name that fits what I have here. If I knew where to look.  ;D
There is also a name, and an address (both unreadable) on the leather case it came with. It looks like the camera then belonged to a woman somewhere in NJ "Bridgetown"(?).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:03:34 PM by xscribe »

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Bagged the odd Polaroid back in the day and yesterdays early morning romp yielded nada bada bing...

This is my best find as it has made great short films and memories...

Canon 310XL which is the one of the smallest Super 8mm cameras ever made with the fastest lens ever F/1.0

All for £2.00 and just got ordered some film today. Looking forward to hearing the clacking of the motor again real soon...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:08:14 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
I need a clack! O_O

damn car boot sales... where's the inner city sales?? mostly I only see boring auto/non focus 35 compacts here :P
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
where's the inner city sales?? mostly I only see boring auto/non focus 35 compacts here :P
Welcome to my world...
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
I need a clack! O_O
nevermind that now, itch is soon to be scratched with the help of a fellow filmwaster ;D
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Team, I saw an Agfa Click at the car boot sale, not a Clack...and I know that sounds like a joke, but they are different cameras  ;D They're both great, but I have my Isola so I'm OK on the Agfa front.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »

The Click is 6x6 and the Clack is 6x9, I'm sorting the fella out ...  ;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

The Click is 6x6 and the Clack is 6x9, I'm sorting the fella out ...  ;D

and it's much appreciated! :) I'm looking forward to shooting 6x9 slides with some velvia 50 I've saved~
/jonas

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »

She's here, the Cresta 3 !

I love the high oil content grey plastic top that makes me think of late 60's hospitals  ;D  Even came with an exposed film in, but it's colour ...

Now, "The Man"is sending me to Rome to present some cobblers on Sun/Mon soI've engineered a few hours for filmwasting.  Do I take this new beast with me ???

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »
That is a beauty! :D Here is another one of my finds.
"Minty" in the box  ;D

Box has "KIMMERLING AUG 25 - 1966" written with a pen. The camera strap is still inside its original little baggie.  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:16:20 AM by xscribe »

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

Came today 99p !!!

Argus 75, lovely viewfinder.  Take 620 and looks like a cut down spool won't do it, but I have a Coronet Twelve-20 now that does both so can be used to re-spool  ;D

A few pics with added "dog" for Leon.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »
Picked up a fuji instax mini 10 for 20p yesterday :-) have missed a few weeks of car boots (I'm usually at atleast 2 a weekend) so was quite chuffed to snatch some cheap swag on my return

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
Picked up a fuji instax mini 10 for 20p yesterday :-)

Bloody hell, Thom, I've got to get myself up to Nottingham to see these boot sales you attend. It might just be worth the petrol cost. The boot sales down here in Essex are almost original retail price for the current model by comparison...!! :(  I don't know whether the vendors are starting to get savvy about the price of film cameras but, if you can find one you're prepared to pay money for, it's seldom a bargain.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
Not boot sale, but another "junk cameras" source...  I recently stumbled across the Rocky Cameras website.  Some of you may remember this guy as an ebay trader some years back, (seller id was just a load of random numbers).  He's got some interesting stock!

Before you go reaching for your credit cards I will say that unless he's changed a lot since his ebay days you do have to take his descriptions with a pinch of salt.  Everything seems to be described as "optically perfect" but in my experience buying a few ludicrously cheap cameras from him on ebay auctions a few years back this could mean just about anything! And if he says it's in "well used" condition then you know it ain't a pretty sight!!  Watch out for postage charges too.

Still, good for a browse...

http://www.rockycameras.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
rocky, eh? well he DID have a bronica s2a I could gawk at :9~~~

but hm... no dark slide? can you even remove the interchangeable film back then? I thought that was coupled.
/jonas

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »

Thom got his Mam from him ...

Lots of bad press on T'inter web about him BUT ... I've had a few ok things from him.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
yeah I was just about to say that miles :-P

my mamiya is great but not exactly "well looked after". I had to physically file down part of the viewer hood after I took it off to clean the screen as it was bent out of shape and I couldnt get it back on. The light baffle sticks from time to time and the lens he sold me with it is sitting on my shelf collecting dust as it doesnt work.. had I had more experience with this camera I might have been able to tell this from the off. But anyway It takes pictures and was within my budget (payed about half what I would from most ebayers or shops) I do think the focus needs calibrating though as it has a habbit of being slightly off on the actual pictures although as i usually shoot wide open that could be because I usual hand hold.

anyway, not the sharpness I was hoping for but still pretty cool and great fun with the polaroid back. have some neg scans coming soon when I get to my uncles to use his V700 and also going to upload the negs from this series of polaroids when I get rid of the dust :-P

mamiya rb67,fuji-fp3000b-neg034 by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr