Author Topic: Selenium Toning  (Read 1597 times)

Dan D.

• 35mm
    • Dan Takes Photos
Selenium Toning
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
I'd like to start toning my fiber prints in selenium. First, so that my prints will have more archival stability. Second, to get the blacks slightly blacker (some would say increasing the Dmax). Third, to hopefully get a little touch of that purple hue to the print.

I use Ilford MG IV FB paper, and I'll probably end up getting the Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner.  The only thing is, I've heard tons of different dilutions and times thrown out there. Is there a recommended starting point in terms of dilution that I should go with, given the results that I want to see in my prints?

-Dan

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Selenium Toning
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
When you say mgiv fb, I assume you mean to standard paper, not the warmtone version?

This is infamously hard to get a strong colour shift with selenium, especially if you were after the plummy colour that can happen with selenium. You are more likely to get a subtle steely blue to the higher shadow tones and mid tones with this paper. I'd go for a dilution of 1:10 ish for about 5 mins and see where you end up.

It's all about the experimentation :)     
L.

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
+1 on the need to experiment, plan to consume some time, paper & toner determining how to get the effect you want.
Ilford have a good practical summary of the essentials here:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006211122422785.pdf
Make sure you understand the pre- & post-toning wash protocols as well to avoid staining.
The toner solution will smell of ammonia, the stronger the solution the stronger the smell, ventilation is not optional!

Dan D.

• 35mm
    • Dan Takes Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:14:59 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have the standard paper rather than the warm tone variety, so maybe the color change is out of the question.  I'm all for experimentation most of the time, but with Selenium being nasty, nasty stuff, I want to get it nearly right the first time if possible, so that I'm not throwing away "failed experiments" as chemical waste.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
Hey dan, once the selenium and silver have combined in the print, it's a fairly benign substance that's left in the print (e.g. converted silver) - it still needs a good wash though as the selenium toner contains hypo, so another archival wash is needed, probably using a wash-aid if you want to reduce water usage. . And the used toner, provided it is mostly exhausted, makes for excellent fertiliser for your non-food garden plants.  I exhaust mine by leaving waste prints and test strips in it over night.

if you want to force a colour shift with mgiv and selenium:

1. buy a thiocarbamide toner kit (variable sepia),and make up a weak dilution bleach bath from the kit.

2. make a print on the mgiv and over-print by about 20% or more.

3. bleach this print until the highlights and most of the mid tones are nearly gone. (wash thoroughly)

4. place in a selenium toner made to between 1:5 and 1:10 and allow to re-develop.

5. wash thoroughly again.

If you get your printing and bleaching and timing right, you'll get a pleasant yellowy brown in the highlights and mids split against a cool steely blue in the shadows and lower tones.  here's one of mine ising this paper and toning technique - hopefully the print values will carry on the screen:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:41:04 AM by leon taylor »
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
Now that's a description that's better than anything I could have come up with!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
I don't even print, but, I enjoyed that. Nice one, Leon.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:02:14 PM »
Get a copy of Tim Rudmans Toning book - great advice & examples as well as lots of recipes for toners and bleaches too.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
Get a copy of Tim Rudmans Toning book - great advice & examples as well as lots of recipes for toners and bleaches too.

I second that - a great book and now back in print.
L.