Author Topic: paper instead of film  (Read 6915 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
paper instead of film
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »
I'm joyed to say that I've finally gotten into testing photographing with paper ;D
seeing as the brownie I had would cover the largest neg I decided to test with that.

it's a kodak brownie 2A, giving a 6x9 neg~

now I admit, they're not the most enthralling subjects but I'm pleased as punch that they're this good  ::)  :D

also, I'm quite interested to hear how you guys have fared tried this out. the latest video podcast was a great inspiration. thanks ed, leon for trying this yourselves :D

('scuse the digishots of the prints! the "office" is being tied up for essay writing)
/jonas

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Re: paper instead of film
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
Fantastic!  I'm quite inspired and have always wanted to try!  Your Brownie is a beaut' and so are your images, which look so vintage!

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
I LOVE the brownie!
Neat shots with paper.
 I also shoot paper, I'll post one of mine later...still working on the roll of stuff I shot during the "rapture" :-)

patois

• I run p
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »
That is pretty cool. I just stumbled upon this sort of crazy page about ilfochrome in camera.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
ann, thanks!

astrobeck, looking forward to seeing your results :)

That is pretty cool. I just stumbled upon this sort of crazy page about ilfochrome in camera.
cool! ohyeah, and this reminds me of this group on flickr
/jonas

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
very cool. i tried this awhile back with my six-16 brownie junior. i used some sort of ilford rc mulitgrade paper for both the negative and contact print.

william

ps. sorry i haven't been around the forum much these days.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »
my latest pinhole on paper..

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
Awesome paper images all! You are inspiring me to get over my fear and try this. Might be a good alternative to TIP film. The price of that film is killing me.
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
Beautiful camera... I love the Brownie Box...

Great images too... it's fun shooting with paper. My latest attempt was back few time ago with positive paper loaded in my 4x5 toyo.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »
this is getting interesting ;D

formica, glad to see you around :) how did you go about with the contact printing? I know I could just experiment till I get something that works but I'd appreciate a starting point.

diane, wicked pespective! I assume the paper ain't flat int that camera? I've got a few round icecream containers that I'm thinking to use for wideangle stuff.

sapate, now this is what I want my experiments to evolve to! I'm considering the possebilities to build my own 4x5 camera...
/jonas

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »

Great images too... it's fun shooting with paper. My latest attempt was back few time ago with positive paper loaded in my 4x5 toyo.

Ok, now I AM interested  >:(

astrobeck

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
ok, as promised here's my paper negative shot done with an 8 x 10 pinhole camera.

45 second exposure
Arista paper
Zapata- that image is tack sharp! Love the contrast of it!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

grr - I hate you ;D

what's the secret here Mauricio?  what shutter speed/ iso rating did you use? I think this is the key to a good result, and one I have not cracked yet ......

L.
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
I;ve had some good results with normal paper negs - I understand that if you use MG or VC papers, a yellow filter really helps with contrast and pancro rendering.
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
I;ve had some good results with normal paper negs - I understand that if you use MG or VC papers, a yellow filter really helps with contrast and pancro rendering.
ah, thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I tried that preflashing technique on the second shot to reduce contrast, maybe flashed too much though? I've also read that using old paper that has lost a bit of its blacks can help with that.
/jonas

astrobeck

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
Jojonas,

I meant to ask, are you just clicking the shutter once to make the photo, or are you clicking it several times to make up for extra time needed to make the exposure?

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

grr - I hate you ;D

what's the secret here Mauricio?  what shutter speed/ iso rating did you use? I think this is the key to a good result, and one I have not cracked yet ......

L.

Ha!
A bit of luck I have to say... only two shots came out good out of 6 though.

I'm really bad recording data of my shots, I guess I'm so excited about just doing the whole thing that I always forget. But I just checked the prints and there's a piece of paper I took some notes, it's a bit vague but it was rated @ ISO 4 with exposure times  from 30 - 60 seconds F5.6 F8... I took those shots at night inside my flat...

Here's the other successful one

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:40:59 PM by sapata »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
i've just been doing contact prints with my enlarger. i don't have an easel so i've been using some glass from a picture frame(thank you daiso!) to hold the paper together. i do a test strip and from there decide what the best time is for a full contact print. before i had the enlarger i did contact prints just using a desk lamp. it's more difficult that way, but it can be done.

i know i probably should be doing some sort of preflash but i haven't gotten around to figuring out how to best do that.

william

ps. beck, i love that pinhole shot!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:35 PM »
Mauricio - I think that may be where I am going wrong ... I;ve been focused on maintaining a shutter speed of 1 second, but I think it need to be longer to avoid the reverse reciprocity.

Your shots are more than luck (although i am secretly smiling at your 2 in 6 hit rate  ;D )

I'm motivated to try it out again tomorrow. will report back.

L.
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
Thanks Leon...

Remember I had only the lights of my flat on and since the shots were taken at night I had to use quite long exposures.

I also remember following my lightmeter and processing with Rodinal...

Good luck! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Jojonas,

I meant to ask, are you just clicking the shutter once to make the photo, or are you clicking it several times to make up for extra time needed to make the exposure?

this is another reason why I decided to try with the brownie first; it has a switch that changes the "instant" shutter into a time mode. pull down to open, up to close.

william, ok. pretty much like how I do my test strips then. thanks
/jonas

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 02:14:22 PM »
YES! Just had a successful, and rather enjoyable, 2 hours messing about with the Harman DP paper.

1. I needed to rate it at ISO 0.8!!!!! (must be my meter I think)
2. I needed to pre-flash the paper to zone I to reduce contrast.

I will post them up once they're dry.

So chuffed I've got reliable results at last  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
L.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
jojonas...no that paper wasn't flat..wrapped around the interior of the "camera"  still experimenting with this , but like it a lot so far!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:07 AM »
jojonas...no that paper wasn't flat..wrapped around the interior of the "camera"  still experimenting with this , but like it a lot so far!
yeah, keep it up~ :)
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

I second that, Diane. The look of that pinhole snap is great. Weird enough to catch the eye, but not impossible to work out what's really going on.