Author Topic: B and T settings on the Crown Graphic  (Read 1804 times)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
B and T settings on the Crown Graphic
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »
Well, I've been searching all over and cant find any answers to this question. I feel so stupid because I figure I must be doing something wrong. Unless it just doenst work.

Anyway, I cannot figure out how to use the B setting on my Crown so I cant keep the shutter open for a long time. I also dont know what the T setting is.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks all!
mojave

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
Re: B and T settings on the Crown Graphic
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
Hi,

B: As long as you press cable release button the shutter remains open.
T: Press once - the shutter opens and remained open until you press the button a second time.

Volker

johann

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
The B setting should depend on the shutter on your lens. I suppose as you have a crown graphic that you don't have a focal plane shutter, so it's not on the camera.
The T setting (time if I remember correctly) is like Bulb but you don't hold the shutter open. You trigger once to open and a second time to close.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
Hi,

B: As long as you press cable release button the shutter remains open.
T: Press once - the shutter opens and remained open until you press the button a second time.

Volker
I couldn't say it any better :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
Thanks all! I wonder if the B setting is broken because it wont stay open. Its an Optar 4.7 135 lens. I think I have that right. And Im not sure if the T setting works correctly either. I will try it again now that I now how it should work, but I know the B doesnt keep the shutter open.
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »
Thanks everybody! With your help, I was able to figure out what the deal is with this lens. Its very touchy. If I heavy hand the cable release button, neither the B or T setting work. If I push the button very slowly and stop the pressure after the shutter open and wait a second or two, it stays open on B and T, no matter how much pressure I apply. Im sure its that the lens is defective in some way but at least I figured out how to work it. Unless this is normal for these older lenses? I have no idea.

Thanks again, everybody, for all your help.  ;D
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:34:55 AM »
Have you tried it without the cable?

Or switching cables?

Cables can be bad too....just thinking out loud here.

:)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:43:57 AM »
Thanks Becky! I only have one cable but I have tried using the shutter release on the box as well as just pressing it down manually and if I go too fast and apply too much pressure too quickly, the shutter wont stay open. But, if I go slowly, there is a moment where the shutter catches and opens and if I hold there for a second, and then apply pressure the rest of the way, the shutter stays open. So at least I can get it working and now I can use the pinhole plate you sent!!! Yay!! Im so excited!!! Thank you so much, and thank you so much for the instructions too! I cant wait to try it tomorrow after work. I have just thing to try it on.  ;D
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
LOL! I cant even begin to explain how stupid I feel after putting the pinhole into the Crown and I realized I dont need the the B or T settings to make a pinhole shot. Holy smokes.  ::)
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Isn't technology wonderful ;) ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:39 PM »
HAHAHA!! Yep!!!

Got my first pinhole done so its all good!
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Yay!
Let's see it now. :)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
Sure Becky! Here it is. It was very cold and very windy yesterday so I just took this pic on the veranda. Since I was shooting on the Chocolate Polaroid, and couldnt reallly see what was framed in the little grid on the gg, its not framed very well, but, its my first pinhole. Im so excited! Cant wait to try it out on a real subject with the Fuji Acros. Though Im still not quite sure how to mix the chems for that film. But hopefully I can get some pix tonight. Im finding the wash by my house very interesting all of the sudden and the pinhole will be perfect for it!

Thanks again Becky!!! This pinhole is awesome!!!
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
That's a great first shot! 
Does that owl actually keep anything away?   :)

I actually love windy days for pinhole.

It really adds motion to my shots when the trees and plants are whooshing around.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
Very nice Erin..I remember my first pinhole..yes, very exciting! Do you have your bellows all the way out when your shooting the crown?

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
LOL! Becky, that owl doesnt keep anything away! So it sits on the veranda and bobs its head in the wind and that is all. Such a waste of money.

I was thinking about the wooshing trees and such and that got me thinking about the ocean and now I want to take the whole kit n kaboodle to the beach and shoot some pinholes there.

Thank you so much Diane! I had the bellows out to the infinity stops like Becky said she did and then used the range finder to finish up the focus, though to be honest, I really dont know if that matters at all with a pinhole.
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
The focus won't matter, with pinhole.
But the width of your field of view will change as you increase/decrease the distance of the pinhole from the film plane.
Plus you'll learn to make minor adjustments in how long the exposures are depending upon how far in/out the bellows is.

Yay pinhole!