Author Topic: experimenting with reloading a 126 cartridge  (Read 1279 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
experimenting with reloading a 126 cartridge
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
lately i've been experimenting with reloading bw 35mm film(arista premium 100) in a 126 cartridge. i've now run test rolls through all the 126 cameras i own. the kodak instamatic x-15 seems to work the best. it was a bit hard to advance in places, but overall went well. instamatic 100 kept getting stuck and i had to open and shut the back(jiggling the cartridge a few times too) to get it to advance better. did all that in my pocket to give it some protection from lightleaks. the instamatic x-35 also had advancing problems(i tried pushing that roll in development but didn't quite push it far enough). the keystone everflash 10 advanced smoothly, but not far enough so i had to cover the lens and fire the shutter to be able to advance it to its proper place. i wasn't sure if i wanted the sprockets in the shots at first so the samples below are a bit all over the place in that respect. i have a set on flickr for these experiments so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/formica/sets/72157625634811139/with/5375304844/

william

ps. images should be(kodak instamatic 100, kodak instamatic x-15, kodak instamatic x-35, keystone everflash 10)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: experimenting with reloading a 126 cartridge
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
i've tried this before and had issues with the sprocket holes not lining up. good to see you got it to work!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
That third shot is great!

Do you tape up the cartridge or do you find they snap back together easily?
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
i've tried this before and had issues with the sprocket holes not lining up. good to see you got it to work!

i guess i was lucky in that respect. i didn't notice any real problems with the sprocket holes as long as i got the film taped straight. i taped both ends to make things a little more manageable.

william

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »
That third shot is great!

Do you tape up the cartridge or do you find they snap back together easily?

thanks. no, i didn't tape the cartridge at all. it's in good shape so it snaps together quite easily and well. i think the backing paper gives it some protection too. basically once it's snapped back together i'll load it directly into a camera.

william

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
That's impressive.  The second shot is fun!
Are you going to try color?

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:12 AM »
That's impressive.  The second shot is fun!
Are you going to try color?

thanks. i've taken countless shots of those guys. i can't resist going back to take more every few months.

i haven't done colour yet, but i'm thinking about it. the bw is easier since i just use the bulk loader for the size, with colour quite a bit of the roll may go to waste. i still have a bunch of very expired 126 colour film i'm shooting though.

william