Author Topic: Film Washing - Is Brita the way to go?  (Read 1113 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Film Washing - Is Brita the way to go?
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
I'm getting some drying marks on my film (it's Tri-X - it's just occurred to me, I wonder if some film is more prone to drying marks? Anyway that wasn't the point of the post.)

Where I live on the North Downs, in Kent, (UK) the water is very chalky and although I use Photoflow and a squeegee I still get some drying marks. They're not on every film, but it is annoying when they happen. I've read somewhere that a Brita type water filter is a good option. I just wondered if anyone has used one and whether they think it's beneficial? Or is there something else I should be trying?

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Alan

• Self-Coat
Re: Film Washing - Is Brita the way to go?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
Well I havnt used a water filter.

I dont get any drying marks on my negatives since I started using
a drop of washing up liquid as a final rince before I hang them to dry.

Its literally a drop and a good agitation and then hang!

mikeg

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I live in a very hard water area which guarantees drying marks. So, I use normal tap water for most of the washing and then use deionised water with a couple of drops of Fotospeed's Rinse Aid as the final wash. So far, no drying marks. Deionised water is quite cheap -- about a pound for a 2.5 litre bottle.

Mike

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
Nottingham's water is very hard and I use Brita water in my final rinse, with some Ilford wetting agent.

Main difference is not using a squeegy or anything like that, since I've been leaving it to drip I've had no marks.

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »
Thanks guys I might give the deionised water a go.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Terry

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:03:12 PM »
Where I live there's a lot of dissovled iron in the water.  So I've been collecting the water from my dehumidifier and using that to make my developer solution.  I've been using the tap to rinse and occasionally get residue on the negs.  Been trying Photoflo but I don't like the results when I mix it according to the instructions.  (It seems to leave some residue of its own on the film.)  So I've been trying different dilutions--maybe a literal drop of the stuff to a tank is enough.  Anyone got ideas about ratios of Photoflo to water?

Roger Thoms

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:47 AM »
Never tried the Brita, but it has to be better than using straight tap water. I have always done my final rinse in distilled water with a drop or two of Edwal LFN wetting agent. This has worked well over the years.

I don't know if you can get Edwal products where your at or not. The thing I like about the LFN wetting agent is that it comes in a small dropper bottle and is very easy to use.

Certainly would not hurt to try the Brita water on some unimportant film and see what happens. If it works your set and if not then I can definitely recommend distilled water. As far as the Photoflo I haven't used it so I can't comment.

Roger
formerly rtbadman