Author Topic: Video Podcast 04 Now Online  (Read 4861 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Video Podcast 04 Now Online
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
Team, I've just uploaded the latest Filmwasters video podcast. It's about 6 months late, so apologies to all concerned for not getting it out in May when I was supposed to. The summer happened, then I had some music stuff which got in the way and suddenly it was October and I'm getting 2nd hand 'reminders' from Ailsa via Leon on Twitter along the lines of "When's the bl**dy podcast going to be ready?" - and since she filmed her section sometime in Feb/March, I really can't say I blame her a jot.

So yeah, Ailsa's got a section which is great (despite the fact that her camera seems to add a nice little high-pitched squeal to its audio  :-\). Leon runs you through a tutorial and then a load of forums regulars meet up for the final section at London's Photographica camera fair on a steaming hot day in May. Look out for appearances by Nigel Rumsey, Miller, Aussie Ken, Miles & Peter Robinson in addition to Baldy and The Druid.

http://filmwasters.com/podcast/

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: Video Podcast 04 Now Online
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
Great stuff! Oh, and I had to buy 'Move on Up' ;)

Urban

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
Wonderful clips everyone... and now, I got gear shopping envy...

Seeing Leon wind 2 rolls on a single spool reminds me of a guy who once told me how to wind 2 rolls of 35mm on a single stainless spool... it's supposed to work just fine even though I would never have the guts to do the same :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:54:18 PM »
Nice one, guys!

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
Wonderful clips everyone... and now, I got gear shopping envy...

Seeing Leon wind 2 rolls on a single spool reminds me of a guy who once told me how to wind 2 rolls of 35mm on a single stainless spool... it's supposed to work just fine even though I would never have the guts to do the same :)

i haven't watched this vid yet, but i regularly spool two 120 rolls onto one plastic reel when i develop. i spool the first, then tape the ends (overlapped and past the beads) and continue working the film onto the reel.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »
Great podcast!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »
Lovely PR race pics Ailsa. Love the tandem group picture lots! And nice to see my old 'work-mates' working for a change :-)

Great work everyone.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »
Wonderful, good stuff. Loved the Paris Roubaix shots, Ailsa  :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
Yeah, Ailsa's photos are really rather good, aren't they!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
i haven't watched this vid yet, but i regularly spool two 120 rolls onto one plastic reel when i develop. i spool the first, then tape the ends (overlapped and past the beads) and continue working the film onto the reel.

Sean, that "taping two reels together" thing is so 20th Century. You should watch Leon's updated method. Who'd have thought that cabbage leaves, a south-facing nuclear bunker and a blowtorch would be so useful?

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
That was great! That two rolls in one reel is going to not only save me money, but time as well. Thank you!!!
mojave

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
excellent! i especially liked the bit at the camera show. whenever i've loaded too rolls on a single reel i've not bothered with taping them together. the second one will just push the first roll further onto the reel.

william

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »
I've never had any success like that William - it always overlaps and causes problems with development whenever I've tried.
L.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
I've never had any success like that William - it always overlaps and causes problems with development whenever I've tried.

i usually feel to make sure they are not overlapping at the beginning. i've usually only had problems when it's been too hot. not to say you should swtich - just that the taping may not be a mandatory step.

william

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »
some people leave the tape on but folded down so there is a heavier end for the next roll of film to butt up against - again, I've never managed to do this successfully.
L.

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »
Is that Filmwasters t-shirt Nigel is wearing in the Photographica 2010 video for sale?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
Is that Filmwasters t-shirt Nigel is wearing in the Photographica 2010 video for sale?

No = we dont sell the t-shirts. but we do make the logo available for anyone to download and use at their will (including on POD t=shirt services like cafe-press etc)  - you can get it here: http://filmwasters.com/podcast/data/filmwaster_final-v1.png
L.

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks Leon.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »

Nice job Ed, very slick.  Couldn't hear you when I picked up the Brownie Hawkeye, saying "TtV ? is that how you digital boys get your retro kicks ?"  ;D ;D ;D  I have to say it was top sunny day out and and the Focaflex / Space People are still making me smile  ;D

Leon - Come on, spill the detail on the coke bottle MkIII chum ... Yours ?  I once put a 2litre Pinto in an on GT (pre GXL) model for a friend. Rostyles and black vynal roof  ;D

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Miles - you loving the MkIIIs?

I Love em - I had a GXL with the 2 litre for a while (the guy I bought it from has done something with the diff and carbs so it sounded like a monster and did xr3is like they were kippers - dont ask me what .... ?) and an original 2 door GT with the knuckle badge, sloping dash, tombstones, twin headlights the works in the RIGHT colour (Maize Yellow).  Me and my group of chums had them in various incarnations - including a mk1 lotus and a mk 1 granada v6.

mine was just like this

those were the days - I still see quite a few around.

Anyway - back to cameras.
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
I had a 2000GT ( or I think it was, early stage dementia is a bugger) Gold with a beige vinyl roof. Brown, gold and beige must be due a renaissance. The vinyl roof comeback is also long overdue.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
Yes - what ever happened to vinyl roofs?  They were the source of much amusement at Safari Parks in the monkey enclosures.
L.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »

Phil I reckon that was a 2000E perhaps, they had the beige roof ? They were often Goldish and very well equipped (like cloth seats)  :)

Leon - What can I say ... A two door GT, that's a very cool ride squire, crazy sloping dash. Any of the Granny boys have the Ghia Coupé ?

I'm comming over all DCOE40 Side draught  ;D ;D ;D

The thread Hi-Jacking ends here ...  ;)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »

Nice job Ed, very slick.  Couldn't hear you when I picked up the Brownie Hawkeye, saying "TtV ? is that how you digital boys get your retro kicks ?"  ;D ;D ;D 

Miles, that bit was included in the first edit, but the episode ran to something over 25 mins (which is way too long), so I cut back on some scenes including that one. Also, I seem to remember that you couldn't hear both sides of the TtV conversation well enough to understand it if you weren't there at the time. It made me laugh all over again watching it though.

I'd forgotten all about the space people and the Foca Flex until last week, so I cracked up when I saw the footage.

We also didn't get the chance to explain that Nigel's stick was, in fact, Miller's.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
Miles, you could be right. All I know is it was sweet and it had lots of dials, leather (vinyl) seats and no monkey ever sat on the roof! Need to look for a photo of it to clear this sort of detail up!

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »

It's all in the detail Phil  ;D

Ed - I wasn't saying it should have been included, promise  :D It just made me laugh as back in May I was still more digi focused for sure (there was even a 5D in my bag) though accompanied by the Trip and of course at the end of the day my first Medium Format and TLR ever, the mighty Toyocaflex !

What a Scorcher it was !

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »
That was thoroughly enjoyable!!   :)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
finally found the time to watch this. great show, everyone! :) though I have to stand myself in the ranks of not so succesfull double roll developers. next time I scan I'll show you some interesting failures ;)
I'm quite envious of you and your faires over yonder. and this list just makes me depressed! http://www.nanites.co.uk/Fairs%2010.htm haha! I'll have to come visit sometime ;D
/jonas