Author Topic: New Kodak Portra 400  (Read 1036 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
New Kodak Portra 400
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
New Portra 400 should be available in November / December. The following article from BJP explains where Kodak is coming from and, although I liked both VC and NC variants, one consolidated version is probably the only truly workable option for the sake of longevity of this film / speed option.

Can't wait until it's on the shelves - if I want increased contrast / saturation there's always Fuji Pro 400H.... However, good to see film making a bit of a splash. Even Amateur Photographer ran a multi-page review of the new Kodak film last week.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/q-and-a/1735570/kodak-there-real-resurgence-film
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: New Kodak Portra 400
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
It is good to see Kodak investing in new films. I'm a big fan of the muted tones 400NC, so I'm hoping the new film isn't going to be pitched between NC and VC.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
think I read on kodaks homepage that it is indeed pitched between NC and VC, in almost all aspects too.
/jonas

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
Should be between NC and VC. Kodak state that there is only 10% saturation between those two (it started out at 15% then was reduced) and with a lot of folks scanning I'm not sure it'll make much difference.

What will be interesting is the grain structure and tonal transitions especially for those who shoot weddings/portraits. I think in time we'll have just two lines of Portra 160 and 400 I'm afraid, I'd like to think we'll have Ektar 100 and 400 eventually though.
Mark Antony

There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
Hi Mark Anthony.

As Fuji has pulled its 800 film, I'm hoping Kodak will be able to maintain the 800 Portra as it will be about the only quality print film at that ISO point as far as I'm aware. I've been using it recently (as I couldn't get any of the Fuji variety) and it's a lot better than I imagined it might be.

The point you make about scanning and (I'll add) post-processing via the likes of Lightroom will allow us to be as true to (or creative with) the colours, saturation and tonality as we feel appropriate.

I know it's not the heralding of a new age of film but, to me, it's positive news and a commitment to keep at least one top quality 400 ISO film available.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
It is good to see Kodak investing in new films. I'm a big fan of the muted tones 400NC, so I'm hoping the new film isn't going to be pitched between NC and VC.

Nigel, it's clearly not your day!!

:-\ :-\