Author Topic: Use of Filters  (Read 2505 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Use of Filters
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »
I'm one of those photographers who tries to get the shot as right "in camera" as I can - mainly due to the fact that I don't have a traditional darkroom and, generally speaking, I don't like over-manipulating - whether it's a digital image or a scanned negative. I would also add that I only use them on landscapes and wouldn't normally use them on portraits or street shots.

Consequently, I've a small selection of ND graduated filters which I use to balance the light and shade. Now, I know they have their drawbacks when it comes to uneven horizons and I know it's not always easy to get the balance right, but what's the general take on filters within the Filmwaster community?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Use of Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
I nearly always have a yellow filter on the front of whatever camera I'm using - and that causes a few issues if I forget when using a colour film. Have tried Grad filters on the 6x6 but never really liked them - especially for the work I [try to]do.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
I have red, orange, yellow and green for my OM10 and use them as the mood takes me. I'm particularly fond of dark skies and use the red more than others. I also like the effects of the polarising filter I have on my DSLR, but never tried one with film. Never tried ND's

circlesquared

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
I am trying out an Orange filter at the moment, and a polarizing filter. I used the orange for the first time yesterday. I am trying not to get sucked into the drama effect that seems to accompany it.
http://irregulamania.tumblr.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coopsixsixsix/

"the simplest surrealist act consists of going out into the street revolver in hand and firing at random into the crowd as often as possible"

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
If I remember I always use a red filter over the lens of my Holga. Since I have had the Hasselblads I haven't got around to getting filters that fit. If I wasn't such a lazy ass I'd use red or yellow with them too.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
I usually use an orange for my MF and LF landscape pics - even if it's dull weather as there is always an element of blue in shadows that adds a nice bit of extra contrast.  I really like how it helps to add local contrast in grasses which can just tend to be dull mid-grey without it.  I also add a few NDs now and then to slow down exposure.

I dont use any filters with the Holga or the (very little) 35mm stuff I do.
L.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
For Landscapes I use ND grads to balance the sky to land.
I also use a Yellow filter on the mamiya645 with CPL sometimes
to darken the Blue sky in B+W . . . whenever we happen to get
a Blue sky here on the West coast of Ireland !!

I dont use any filters on either the Holga or Balda.

I must actually get a red or yellow for B+W on the Holga.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
Since I shoot color most of the time, I don't use any filters. I used to be a big fan of the polarizer but have just become too lazy to even bother putting it on...

I also tried graduated filters... not for me since I always shoot hand held.

As for B&W, I think a yellow filter is the minimum since it makes printing much easier.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
Francois, how does a yellow filter make printing easier? I have all the set of filters for the Holga but have only used them a few times. I didnt notice any change when using the red filter for my cloud shots so I just stopped using them all together.
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
I also leave the yellow filter on my Rolleiflex 90% of the time, the sky gets slightly darker which really suits me.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Well, like Mauricio said, the yellow filter slightly increases contrast and tone separation. The sky get a bit darker, clouds a bit whiter. This slight increase in contrast happens without affecting tonal range in a dramatic way. It's just something that works. But since the Holga lens is so wacky, I really don't know how the yellow filter would behave... but on a normal camera, it works.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
I use an ND filter the most - sometimes to allow for shooting wide open in bright sunlight and also to blur motion. 

I'm beginning to try to make my own ND's for my extra large lenses from (theatrical lighting) gel sheets.  They come in the same strengths as the camera filter variety - just working on how to make them taut and ripple-free.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
It is interesting to hear what filters people are using.

Particularly when I associated them with some wonderful images that they have posted
here.

I have used filters infrequently and haven't really learnt when best to use them.

Always something new to learn with Photography.

Mike

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
... I didnt notice any change when using the red filter for my cloud shots so I just stopped using them all together.

I second that. but I think I just need to shoot more to notice the difference. I'm planning test it by takeing the same shot with and without filter.

I've got red and yellow, maybe a star on its way too. hehe..
/jonas

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »
for skies, the red filter can be seen as a key that undoes a lock, but the door still needs some effort to push it open.  The differences between the blue and the white become such that much less effort is needed to push the local contrast - either burning in darkroom or via selections and curves digitally.

L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:05 AM »
for skies, the red filter can be seen as a key that undoes a lock, but the door still needs some effort to push it open.  The differences between the blue and the white become such that much less effort is needed to push the local contrast - either burning in darkroom or via selections and curves digitally.

An orange filter for Polaroid B&W - sometimes called a 'cloud filter' - is key to a lot of my work. As Leon suggests, you do however need to be aware of possible exposure compensation to get the best from this technique. It took me a while to exploit, and in the case of Type-665 negatives, using a 3-stop orange effectively needs a 2.5-stop correction, sometimes exposing for the sky over the land-based subject. Manual metering is almost mandatory. The results though are well worth it:

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
interesting point Skj. Using filters with Pola/ instant mono must introduce all kinds of extra considerations.

I have to say the Orange effect is may fave - red is too severe for me.  I've just realised that neither of the 2 pics I posted are representative of red filters!  The first was using an orange, and the second was using no filters at all!  whoops :)
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:30 AM »
thanks for the insight, leon, skorj. those shots look great~
my guess is that I didn't think to meter the sky more. I'll try how that works out for me.

I've just realised that neither of the 2 pics I posted are representative of red filters!  The first was using an orange, and the second was using no filters at all!  whoops :)

I guess that shows that you don't have to use filters, with the right conditions ;)
/jonas

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
I guess that shows that you don't have to use filters, with the right conditions ;)

Sort of ... provided you have your development times and film speeds right, and a lens with loads of edge vignetting really helps - and some darkroom skills too.
L.