Author Topic: Yashica / Infrared  (Read 5471 times)

Aonghas

• 35mm
Yashica / Infrared
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »
Hello people!

This is my first post here. I've heard good things about this site so it's nice to be here :)

I have a Yashica Electro 35 GSN that I'd like to start using for some infrared fun. It takes 55mm filters so I thought a Hoya R72 would be a good place to start? Would anyone recommend a different filter? I can't really afford anything too expensive. I've also been looking at films to use. I think I'll use the Efke IR820 first, although the Ilford SFX 200 looks pretty good.

My problem is that the Yashica uses a light-meter to the side of the lens rather then metering through the lens, so I was wondering if anyone has experience using these films & filters, and what kind of adjustment would I have to make to get the right exposure. How many extra stops of exposure would I need? I've tried to find some info without much success.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

Aonghas :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:26:26 PM by Aonghas »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Yashica / Infrared
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
Through the lens metering is pretty much useless when you use an infrared filter. These things are so dense you can hardly see anything through them.

If you're looking for a cheaper way out, you might take a look at the Cokin line of filters. Their filter is optimized for digital but might very well work just fine on film. You could also get a Cokin gel holder and a Kodak Wratten filter. This is the best combination for not too much dough.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
The problem with the GSN is lack of manual exposure. You can put it in flash mode which will give you 1/30th second shutter speed then select the aperture manually or put it in B mode. Depends on what sort of exposure you'll need and I've got no experience of the filters so I don't know. What I do know is if you leave it on Auto, it isn't going to work.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Aonghas

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
@Peter

That's what I was thinking too, but maybe I could get round it by changing the ISO setting. It stops down to 25, so if I used the ISO 200 Ilford film that means I'd be able to expose it an extra 3 stops. I think. Or am I wrong?!

Thanks for the tip about using the flash mode. I might try that too. I think it'll just be a case of buying a few rolls and condemning them to some experimentation.

Thank you :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
That's what I was thinking too, but maybe I could get round it by changing the ISO setting. It stops down to 25, so if I used the ISO 200 Ilford film that means I'd be able to expose it an extra 3 stops. I think. Or am I wrong?!

That would work but depends on what rating the film needs.

I must admit, I was thinking the sensor was above the lens so would be behind the filter but, of course, that isn't the case with the Electro so, if you can set the ISO to whatever the film needs, it should work I guess.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
Ilford SFX is different from the old Kodak HIE or the Efke IR in the sense that it is only marginally sensitive to IR. This means that it can be exposed both like regular film at EI200 or using a filter. The darker the red filter used, the more the IR look will show. I know Cokin used to make a special filter for the Ilford SFX. Maybe you could find one used.

From memory, the Efke is not an ISO 820 film but simply sensitive in the 820 um range. In that case, the light meter is of little help.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:40:26 PM »
Hiya, welcome to Filmwasters. I'm glad people are talking about us in a complimentary manner.

I can help with this question (for once). I've used the GSN Electros for years and you're absolutely corrent when you suggest changing the ISO rating. It's the standard way to compensate for filters with the Yashicas. I've used red/orange/yellow filters and a polariser with my two Yashicas and in every case you simply adjust the ISO....and hey presto.

:D :D

I don't think I've used IR film with my GSN, but I have used IR film in other cameras and any dark red filter seems to produce some sort of effect. These two for instance were taken with an LC-A and Kodak IR film. I used red plastic from a stage lighting gel as the filter. Held in front of the lens. I guess the more scientific you are about it the more control you'll have, but I usually just get stuck in and improvise.

The main problem I've had with IR film is not actually shooting with it a getting IR effects, it's been finding a lab to process it (assuming you're not doing so yourself....which is a bit presumptuous of me). Not all of them will do it due to issues with the safe lights they use in their darkrooms.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »
The main problem I've had with IR film is not actually shooting with it a getting IR effects, it's been finding a lab to process it (assuming you're not doing so yourself....which is a bit presumptuous of me). Not all of them will do it due to issues with the safe lights they use in their darkrooms.
Quite true... most labs inspect film using an infrared emitter and a camera. Something which is a definite no-no with infrared film :)
Also, they don't want to be responsible for any mishaps with this film as it is quite sensitive to light we don't see...
Francois

Aonghas

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »

I hadn't thought of that, thank you. I'll definitely remember that when I try to get them developed. I also had a look at the Cokin filter but it seems to have more or less the same specs as the Hoya and since I've been using a Hoya polarising filter for the last few months and enjoyed it I think the Hoya is the one I'll go for. I think I'll buy a selection of films aswell, see what turns out the best.

If anything works out well and I get any nice shots I'll let you guys know and post the results.

Thanks for all the help!

Aonghas :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi there - welcome to the site.

I did some quite extensive (non-scientific) testing with ilford SFX for a magazine article when they re-released it a few years ago. It is quite a versatile film that behaves much like HP5+ (uses the same original emulsion) if used without a filter. A red filter will give you a semi - IR effect with some lightening of ir reflective surfaces & darkening of blues , but it comes into it's own when you use the requiste SFX gel filter made by Cokin. If my memory serves me well this reduces the light by about 4  stops so you till need to rate the film at below 25 on your Yashica so I don't think it will be possible? But - you might just get away with a one stop under exposure provided you use a speed increasing developer. I'm not on my PC at the moment but will post some pics showing how versatile the film can be later if you want.     
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
here they are:

first (waterfall) is no filter, then next 3 are same scene with no filter, red filter and sfx filter, and finally, hand held with the SFX filter in bright sun:

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
 ... and just a few more of the SFX with no filter.  It's a nice film to use as it is.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

Aonghas

• 35mm
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Thank you for the photos, Leon. I really love that effect with the red filter, even though as you say there is not a strong IR effect. As for the Cokin filter you're talking about, is it the P007 filter, or a special one that only comes with the film? I've seen people talking about a Cokin SFX filter but I can't find it anywhere.

It's all getting a wee bit confusing!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
The cokin filter number is P176 but I can't find anywhere online that sells them - maybe they're no longer available. Any ir/very deep red filter that doesn't go beyond 720nm would be fine. 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
I met a Cokin rep last fall and he gave me this year's pamphlet. Their new infrared filter is number 007... (there probably was a pun intended with that choice). The SFX filter has been discontinued.

They also discontinued all filters in the A series because new lenses have a much bigger front element. Series P, Z and X are still in full production.
Francois

Abdul Hye

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »
I just shot a roll of Ilford SFX on a Yashica Electro 35 GSN on Saturday. I went Aonghas’ blog page and there are only two images under the Yashica section and they don’t seem to be taken using the SFX film. I’d like to see some results.

Saturday was a bright sunny day and the Yashica was the only camera that didn’t have film in it so loaded it and used a deep orange (maybe red, the writing has worn off).

I have a few rolls left and checking out what kind of filters people have used with it. I had a IR filter that I lent and the person has lost. I have seen people with it with a Red filter and a Polariser. Thinking of buying a few red filters and Polarisers of different thread sizes for my lenses from 7dayshop.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
Or just get a large size set of filters and some step-up rings... it's cheaper that way.
That's pretty much why I stuck with the Cokin system: It's almost one size fits all.
Francois