Author Topic: More Large Format questions...  (Read 858 times)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
More Large Format questions...
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
So then.....  Im certain I like this LF thing,  so my plan is to sell some kit and replace it with a Field Camera.

As such my question is, to what extent are all the parts interchangeable?

I got a good deal on a nice reflex viewer, have a few Double darkslides, Pola backs etc,  Are they all a standard size? (especially considering I intend to move from a monorail down to a field camera?

If I landed a Toyo field camera, or a Tachihara, Shen Hao etc - would the darkslides, reflex viewer etc all fit?  Or do I have to factor in cost of getting all these again?

Im sure the lens will all fit (subject to new lens board)   but i am prepared to be corrected on this as well......

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: More Large Format questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
I suspect the answer to this could vary depending on which field cam you end up buying. All I can say is that all of my instant film backs (545, 550 and 405) fit my Graflex cameras and my Tachihara field cam, so I suspect that they would also fit a lot of other 5x4 field cameras.

Also, let us know which lens(es) you have.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Nice one wenn,

Will check on lens,   i think its a 250mm....but no idea (until i check) of make.

Ive (very) roughly priced up the camera gear I want to sell and ,with a good wind behind me, could end up with about ?1000 to play with....although if i ended up dropping half of that on a camera and half of that onto my credit card debt - that would be ideal....... :D :D :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Film backs are always universal, something I don't think can be said for the reflex viewer unless it uses the graflock springs to hold on the camera.
Lens is also universal... but the lensboard isn't. So there's always something you can keep.

But the field cameras have fewer movements than your monorail, so keep that in mind before switching.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »
Thanks Francois,

Ill make sure I check it all out, will be a while yet -until I shift some gear - so plenty of time to read up on it!