Author Topic: Total n00b question: D76 dilution strength w/ powder mix  (Read 6133 times)

KeithCostin

• 35mm
    • K.Costin Photography
Total n00b question: D76 dilution strength w/ powder mix
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »
Hello everybody! I've been shooting film for the past year, but I've just recently decided to jump in into b&w negative processing. I picked up a packet of Kodak D76 which came in a powdered form and made a 1/4 gallon of developer when mixed with water. My question is this: does this resulting mix count as a 1:1 solution or full strength? For some reason Google is failing me on this one. Like I said, total n00b question :) Thanks!
------------------------
kcostinphoto.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Total n00b question: D76 dilution strength w/ powder mix
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
When it's just the mix like Kodak instructed, it's full strength. 1+1 means 1 part chemical for 1 part water.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
yeah the mix is full strength. so when you use it, you dilute it 1:1 with water...this is usually how i adjust the temp with cold water (or warm if it's cold where you live). most films can be developed from 8-12 minutes at 1:1.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
So glad someone else has to ask these questions too..always feel like a dimwit when I can't figure out these formulas!......hope to see some of your results soon!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
So glad someone else has to ask these questions too..always feel like a dimwit when I can't figure out these formulas!......hope to see some of your results soon!
That's why I made a program (which is in the software suite I posted as Contraption 4) that does exactly those calculations for me :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:14:01 PM by Francois »
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
Unless you really want to use Kodak, I found Rodinal much easiear to deal with. No mixing powder hassle and a VERY small bottle as the solution is concentrate. ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »
I can some advantage in making one quart of stock solution from powder at a time.  I usually make five liters of Xtol.  Unless I store it in five separate bottles, it sometimes goes bad before I can use it all. 

How does Rodinal hold up once the bottle of concentrate is opened?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »
How does Rodinal hold up once the bottle of concentrate is opened?
I have a bottle I started in 2000. It's as black as espresso with oxidisation yet works as well as the day I opened it. I must admit to not being a fan of rodinal for anything other than the slower t/delta grain films or ultra slow trad emulsions. The grain is too intrusive for me despite the dilution or agitation method. 
L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
As a noob to film developing myself having done a bit of reading and taken advice from, the venerable, Leon I decided get one developer and one film (in my case Rodinal and Tri-X) and stick to it a while just to reduce the variables.

Leon's bang on, the grain is a bit chunky but I'm trying to work with it for now and it's not unpleasant. Once I've got over the shock I haven't balls'd it up every time I develop a film then I might try experimenting a little.

I have high hopes that Santa's bring me a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0240802772/ref=s9_sima_gw_s16_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=126P05AMVGGEZRRR1Z38&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294  ;) ;)

I'll be great to see some of your results.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
At the risk of over-exposing this nap, i'd like to point out that it was snapped with Legacy400@1600 souped in Rodinal 1:100 for around 2 hours. Grain is fine - for me. Print is on Adox vario FB

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »
Wow, Andrea.  Your picture is all I need to persuade me to try Rodinal.  I am on my way to our one remaining photo store here in Providence.  Hopefully, they will have a bottle on the shelf...

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
d-76 is a good basic developer, though...

i've had rodinal go "instant death" on me, but it is warm here most of the year.
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
I'm mostly a fan of D-76 too (because I'm cheap and D-76 is probably the lowest cost out there)...

But back in college, they used to provide us with some HC-110 which is very good (I like it more than D-76) and can give incredible grain when used "improperly" :)
Francois

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
My local photo supply store manager just told me that Rodinal is out of production. Agfa Photo is belly-up.  (This probably isn't news to most filmwasters but I didn't know.) Stores that have Rodinol on their shelves will sell it but they can't ship it--at least not in the US.  I may have to buy the chemicals and make my own soup if I want to try something like Rodinol. Anyone done this? 

Roger Thoms

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
Freestyle Photographic Supply will ship Rodinal via ground, no problem. Of coarse that doesn't help people who are overseas. As far as shelf life I find that my opened  Rodinal last for several years. I keep the bottle in the orignal box it came with to protect if from light, don't know if this is necessary, but it's what I do.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
not sure i understand the agfa thing, cuz they went bankrupt and all the products disappeared, but then reappeared. someone must have bought them or re-invested.
                                                                  - John Waters

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip, rtbadman.  I just ordered some Rodinol from Freestyle Photographic Supply .

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »
not sure i understand the agfa thing, cuz they went bankrupt and all the products disappeared, but then reappeared. someone must have bought them or re-invested.

Here is what I found on some other forum
If the bottle is of silar plastic it's of the 80's till now. Before it was glass.
If it's the original Agfa logo rombus, before 2004. If it's the Agfa Photo point, 2005. If it is marked Rodinal R09 "made in Germany" 2008 and if it's marked Agfa Rodinal by A&O 2006-2007. All the same stuff is comming from the chemical plant in Vaihingen-Enz, Germany.
Even the new Fomadon R09 (rounded corner bottles, marked Fomadon R09 NEW) from Foma is Rodinal now with the regular 1+25, 1+50 and 1+100 dilutions.

A&O sold the chemical plant to CMS.
The Trademark Rodinal is changed to "R09 one shot" made in Germany. And even Foma is filling up in their new Fomadon R09.
The reason is simple:
Agfa and Rodinal are registered trademarks of Agfa-Gevaert, Leverkusen/Antwerp, bought by LUPUS.
Agfa Gevaert was merged in 1964. Agfa Leverkusen and Gevaert in Mortsel/Antwerpen. Agfa Photo was merged in 2004 so your bottle must be certainly between 1964-2004. Because it's plastic it must be in the 80's till 2004.
Rodinal is very light Yellow (packed under Nitrogen when filled) when it's new in production. Within a year it's light brown due to diffusion of the bottle so many partners oversea will receive Rodinal in a light brown color.
It's already said: It doesn't matter because even when it's dark brown to almost black, Rodinal will work. It's a real exception in liquid developers.
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
Andrea..I am now convinced to try something other than the D-76..that image above is wonderful..will order Rodinal from freestyle..it is so nice to have this forum for asking questions..I would be lost without it!   (well, I am still sort of lost..but will try to muddle through!)now...can I still use the other chemicals such as the (KODAK) fix etc..that I have with using rodinal as my developer...??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:45:57 PM by Diane Peterson »

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:25 PM »
Regarding to the whole agfa thing, apparently they're bring film back to the Us market :
http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/agfa-film-re-introduced-in-north-america/

Rodinal works fine for me as well, if I use 100ISO I have no "problems" with grain...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
can I still use the other chemicals such as the (KODAK) fix etc..that I have with using rodinal as my developer...??
All the other chemicals are universal so you can use stop bath and fixer by Kodak without second thoughts.
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »
Thank you Francois..I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question..that really helps me!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »
You're welcome :)
Francois