Author Topic: A Blurb question....  (Read 974 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
A Blurb question....
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
I'm working on my first  Blurb book and I see they now offer a Premium paper option. I just wondered if anyone has had experience of it? Is it worth going for?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

SimonK

• 35mm
Re: A Blurb question....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
Yes, it's a bit nicer than the standard pages. Blurb books are never going to scream 'quality' but they're good for the price. IMO a very simple layout works best - one image per page with a thin black keyline on a white background looks nice.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
Thanks Simon - i think I'll give the better paper a go. I'll report back.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:27 AM »
please do Nigel - I've been planning to do won of these for about a year now ... never actually got around to it  ... yet.
L.

greenstphotography

• 35mm
    • GreenStPhotography
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
I have made a few blurb books, and I am currently heading a teamm making a new toycamera book using Blurb (toycamerabook.com).

The premium paper is the way to go.  It is thicker and significantly nicer.  If you are planing on having photos both on the front and back of each page you pretty much have to use the premium paper.  The normal paper is basically see through.  Images on the back side are visible from the front.  This is still true with the premium paper but it is not nearly as noticeable.

As stated earlier, Blurb is not a tool to make a very high quality book.  And to make a pretty decent book it ends up being very expensive, but it's a pretty nice tool for what it is.