Author Topic: Found films  (Read 2090 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Found films
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:15:41 PM »
Two cameras I've bought recently have contained films. One was the Myrapid half frame previously mentioned. Here's some of the frames from the film.

I thought the fourth one was worth trying to do something with so this is my fiddled with version.

The camera was bought from Germany and I guess that's where these were taken. The Agfa Rapid film system the camera uses was introduced in 1964 so they were taken sometime after that. I would guess maybe early seventies.

The other camera I bought which had a film in was a Contax 137. The pictures were, I think, more recent and less interesting. Here's one.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Found films
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43:52 AM »
Awesome ! I really like the train pictures and the enhanced one is looking pretty good...

That train must have been some sort of event, if you pay attention on shot 2, there're people waiting for it with a tripod and on shot 3 the lady is recording with a movie camera.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
Glorious! I found a few myself this weekend, development to follow, though I am sure they're not to be as neato as these... Skj.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
That train must have been some sort of event, if you pay attention on shot 2, there're people waiting for it with a tripod and on shot 3 the lady is recording with a movie camera.

Yes, that's what I thought. I was hoping to get a number off the engine but it's not clear enough.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »
What a terrific find..the pictures look as though they are from the late 50's or very early 60's.(?).what is your assesment?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
What a terrific find..the pictures look as though they are from the late 50's or very early 60's.(?).what is your assesment?

I discovered the camera was introduced in 1965 so must be after that. Judging from the clothes (is that flares they're wearing in the second picture) I'm suggesting early 70s.

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
What a great surprise!   :)
Love the fiddled with version.  I'm such a push-over for trains..

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

I discovered the camera was introduced in 1965 so must be after that. Judging from the clothes (is that flares they're wearing in the second picture) I'm suggesting early 70s.
Early 70's for sure... just look at their lovely trousers ! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
Peter, I really like what you did with the train shot. Wonderful. However the one that caught my eye was the man waiting on his own. I don't have PS here so can only crop your original, but I reckon something good to be done with it.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »
I just noticed these were probably shot somewhere in France... notice the Citroen 2CV in the picture...

(You have to love these quirky cars :) )
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »
Peter, I really like what you did with the train shot. Wonderful. However the one that caught my eye was the man waiting on his own. I don't have PS here so can only crop your original, but I reckon something good to be done with it.

Maybe something like this?

Only a quick fiddle. I let PolaDSR have a look at it to try and get rid of the crud then a bit of curves.

I rescanned the engine one as Becky wants a copy and got PolaDSR to clean that up as well. It doesn't do a bad job but it's not perfect and needed some manual cleaning as well. Still, for a film that's probably sat in the camera for 35 years or so I guess it's not bad.

I just noticed these were probably shot somewhere in France... notice the Citroen 2CV in the picture...

There's also a couple of Beetles and a Merc in the background as well so I'm still thinking Germany.