Author Topic: Some B&W processing questions.  (Read 1660 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Some B&W processing questions.
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
I'm thinking of processing B&W films at home, I used to process my own but it was a long time ago so I'm basically starting again. I?m looking for some chemicals that aren't too expensive for my first attempts.

I've been looking at the Silverprint website http://www.silverprint.co.uk/index.asp and the Fotospeed chemicals seem reasonably priced, I just wondered if anyone has any experience with them, good or bad?

My thinking is that liquid developers would be a good place to start as it saves mixing up large quantities of stock solution that I don't really have anywhere to store. I'm not sure how Mrs Wildberry is going to react to this happening in the kitchen as it is and I think large quantities of chemicals may make all the difference!

Would you recommend Fotospeed for a beginner, or maybe something else?

Also it says of the FX20 fix: ?Fotospeed FX20 Rapid Fixer is a general purpose liquid fixer concentrate that has no hardener added and is suitable for use with a wide range of B&W photographic materials. ?

I?m not sure if non-hardening is a good thing? Does this mean the emulsion is easier to damage?

Any advice and suggestions on these or alternatives would really be appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting started.

thanks
Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Re: Some B&W processing questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »
Hello Nigel,

I got lots of helpful replies to a similar question a while ago

http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1680.0

I'm using Paterson FX-39, Paterson Acufix and some Ilford wetting agent (though the wetting agent isn't proving much use at the mo!)

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »
Hello

I reckon your best bet would be to pick one type - any will do, and stick with it until you are comfortable using it. All fixers are much of a muchness to a newbie, pick a developer with a reasonable life span if you're not going to be using it too often - Rodinal is superb in this respect and very economical too. Once yo're happy with it , try another to look at how they are different etc. 
L.

synj00

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
Yeah just pick one. I picked D-76 and kodak rapid fixer and just been using that forever. Then when you need or want something different start experimenting.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice, there's some really good advice there.

I think I need to dive in and have a go.

website

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »
I use fotospeed rapid fixer. I bought the 5litre giant jug of the stuff because I figure I go through quite a bit and it doesn't go off easily like developer does. I decant to one of my empty 1litre fotospeed fix jugs though, for easier pouring.

Hardening usually involves formaldehyde which isn't that great for you or the enviroment. Most emulsions are hard already and don't scratch easily anyway. It's only a problem with some of the ekfe films and really they need the hardener in the developer too or prehardening, but most people don't bother so don't worry about it.

I did use fotospeed's FD-10 or whatever it is but gave up. It's much better to start out with something that actually has development times on the Massive Dev Chart for a range of films, at least it is for me. I use Rodinal all the time now. Diafine is on hand for stuff I don't give a toss about or forget what it is, but it's not necessary to have.  Rodinal is good because it's diluted quite a lot so it's probably more economical than other developers. Typical dilution for some other developers is 1+4 or 1+1, while typical dilutions for Rodinal are 1+25 to 1+50 or 1+100.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »
Thanks Heather, well that's two votes for Rodinal out of three, you can't say fairer. Right I'm off to Silverprint.

website