Author Topic: What did you shoot for WTCD Saturday?  (Read 9172 times)

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
What did you shoot for WTCD Saturday?
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »
Thought I would start a new thread for this one, feel free to merge it if another one is someplace else. i know a lot of people have posted at the other place, but just in case some of the old crew played, I thought maybe a cross post would be cool :))  And while doing my film I do want to say as an homage to leon, i did shoot some hurricane boats on the side of the freeway, but i have not scanned that yet...be warned :) And I do not do boats as well as he. At all.

Well anyways, here is mine. Got up at the crack of dawn with a box of chalk and had to rush the kid to get on there before the sun came and messed it all up with its brightness :)

Oh! And I used a holga 120s

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:33:56 PM by lauraburlton »

tijeras

Re: What did you shoot for WTCD Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:35:22 AM »
I adore this! 
Stars, and more stars....

Love it, love it, love it!
 :) :) :)

I went to a pumpkin place and shot lots of pumpkins, photos won't be ready until sometime next week though as I'm packing for a trip to Texas.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:11:17 AM »
Where in Texas? I know it is a big place but if you are near Houston or Galveston, maybe we can meet up or something :)

tijeras

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:27:55 AM »
Thanks Laura,
I'll be near San Antonio but may be in Houston later this year.
Perhaps we can meet up then and go on a photo trek of some sort.
Would be fun to visit my old home town again!

:)

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:33:58 AM »
Sounds awesome. I got to visit S.A. during Ike. Had not been there since I don't know when ( 15-20 years?) It was pretty cool, definitely gonna go back sometime :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
Laura - this is a great shot - really nice.

here are my efforts - from Hythe and Folkestone on the Kent Coast.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
Nice series Leon!

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
Annoyingly good Leon!
What did you shoot on? (Don't say Holga... I can't get anything close to this with mine... repeat, don't say Holga. It was a Holga wasn't it?)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »
(Don't say Holga... )

Sorry Stu .... It was my holga. here's one more

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:59:14 PM by leon taylor »
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
As the Tommy Cannon to Leon's Bobby Ball, here's my virgin WTCD photo taken with my new Holga 135 and developed myself.

Who said a photo from your window always had to be boring?  :)

Chops

PS Stu - I too am waiting for some gushing compliments! (preferably about composition, the zone system or something equally flash)

"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

tijeras

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »
Chops:  That's a very nice view you have.   :)

Maybe some time in the future we should have a "through the window" galley/collab.

Leon:  I like the third one.  It's not so much Leon Taylorish as I am accustomed to.

Nice work all.

Becky

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
Ooh Hythe! I really wanna go to Hythe to the ossuary there. Bit of a trek from London though. I think my research discovered that a bus from London would be quicker/easier than train to Folkestone then bus from there. I would have totally loaded up some delta3200 in a holga to take photos of the ossuary.
I just went to a city farm and photoed some farm animals. Developed one roll from the holga, the colour stuff won't be ready for a while, still need to develop the roll from the Wide&Slim. I thought that last year's Piggies photo was so awesome I'd try to find more farm animals to photo.

Chops - you have a lovely countryside view :) If we did a contest of "from our window" I'd have to take a photo of ... a gray pebbledashed/stucco wall :(

Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
Maybe some time in the future we should have a "through the window" galley/collab.
Becky

Didn't we already do a window-related collaboration gallery? Hmmm, let me take a look.....Yep, we did. Here is a link: http://www.filmwasters.com/collaborations/v/collaboration09/

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »
(Don't say Holga... )

Sorry Stu .... It was my holga. here's one more

Knew it. Some lovely shots.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »
Annoyingly good Leon!
What did you shoot on? (Don't say Holga... I can't get anything close to this with mine... repeat, don't say Holga. It was a Holga wasn't it?)

Stu, you'll need to get used to Leon making impressive images from more or less anything. The first time I saw some of his Holga work I wanted to find this person and simultaneously bow down at his feet and also punch him in the chops. It's all a bit sickening and (if I'm honest) actually rather boring after a while  :D (you know I'd much rather do one or two images almost this good every couple of years than just churn them out with annoying regularity).

Tip: if you ever get extra jealous of The Druid's mad skillz and feel the need to lash out by way of a cynical, pointless and hollow gesture that will make him doubt himself, just leave a comment along the lines of the images being technically very impressive, but essentially a bit soulless. That usually sends him in a downward spiral that ends in a weekend-long  home brew bender.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:45:17 PM by ed.wenn »

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
As the Tommy Cannon to Leon's Bobby Ball, here's my virgin WTCD photo taken with my new Holga 135 and developed myself.

Who said a photo from your window always had to be boring?  :)

Chops

PS Stu - I too am waiting for some gushing compliments! (preferably about composition, the zone system or something equally flash)

Gushing compliments... hmm, wait, let me think... i, urm... i, i like... i quite like the, urm, the colours you've used.
Yeah, the're good.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »
Gushing compliments... hmm, wait, let me think... i, urm... i, i like... i quite like the, urm, the colours you've used.
Yeah, they're good.

I'm glad you like them.  I chose them especially!  ;)

Chops

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
Leon, those are lovely. Did you take some other tools as well? Choppert, you view is stunning. if I t was my view well, not so much. they are doing roadworks and it is kind of like a dirt/mud trail out there. Or my neighbors siding. very exciting. But I can walk to borders books and whole foods market in just a minute or two.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
I did drive up to the islands this year. Strangely, it's the first WTCD where I don't freeze my ears to get images.

There is the old fort on Saint-Helen's Island.
Also shot a few pictures of the bridge.

Vivitar Ultra Wide+Slim and 1$ Chinese Likon Super GBR 200 film
Didn't fix the curves in Photoshop. These are like I got them from the lab.

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

tijeras

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 02:22:02 AM »
Becky

Didn't we already do a window-related collaboration gallery? Hmmm, let me take a look.....Yep, we did. Here is a link: http://www.filmwasters.com/collaborations/v/collaboration09/

Sorry 'bout that Ed. 

At 8 a.m. I'm quite the doof as I stay up all night and do astronomy, then try to be a regular person afterwards.
 :) :)   

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 04:16:15 AM »
Here are a few of my WTCD efforts from Santa Cruz, California

Taken with a Harrow 151.

I have to say that the photographs above by from Laura and Leon are absolutely brilliant.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 07:39:48 AM »
Francois - a rare showing of pics from you - nicely done, thanks for putting them up.

Dave - great pics.  I particularly like the cable cars.   A nice uncluttered composition that works really well
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
I second Leon's remark about it being good to see some work from our very own Canadian 'Photo Sage'. Obviously WTCD is a very special occasion.
 :D

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »
All these shots above are disgustingly good!
Laura - absolute brilliance, love it. (wish I had thought of that myself)
Leon, bloody great stuff. Love the boats (and all the rest you talented fellow)
Chops, congrats on your first WTCD shot, beautiful view from your window and extra marks for developing it yourself.
Thanks to Francois for finally introducing some colour, for a minute there I thought I missed a memo saying this years toy camera day was B&W only! Love that big curve on the last shot of yours.
Dave, beautiful B&W shots the last one makes me want to go to the nearest funpark!

Seeing all the beautiful tones and contrast in those B&W shots, I really think I should shoot more of that. I actualy developed my first roll of Tri-X in about 30 years (last time was in secondary school) the other day!

My efforts were all taken on my new blackbird,fly with no internal mask, so sprockets are showing, look away those who are faint of heart!
Shot with Fuji Superia X-TRA 400.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:49:36 AM by artpunk »
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »
Okay got one of the B&W rolls developed. This is from my holga ,which has some oddity that causes partial double? exposure in the bottom right corner. We're not sure what the heck is wrong with it but I didn't notice it until last month's colour photos and someone pointed it out to me online.

Heather
ooh shiny things!

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
They're great creature shots Heather! That thing with the doubling at the bottom corner, could it just be a particular abberation of your Holga's lens? Embrace the abberations! (I only say these things coz someone called me an abberation once, and I love a bit of embracing)  ;)

I've noticed a couple of synchronicities with the WTCD theme. Leon had his nice B&W round thing (an orange or something?) and I had my red ball... and now Heather's first Ram shot. I took this (below) on WTCD too (not a great shot like Heathers but you can see where I'm getting the synchronicity feel) perhaps I'm just seeing patterns and the like where there aren't any? Number 23, anyone?

...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
Francois- marvelous color :)))
Cameron- I waaaant that camera, love the tricycle best :)
Heather- those are great! One of my holgas does the same thing. It is a 120N ( a gift from Michele Bates actually) Sometimes i like it, sometimes i just use my old holgas....
Dave- I love those.love. love them :)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
This is a holga 120S, I got it in 2000 in high school and didn't actually use it for... um... 6 years  :-[ I think the theory is it's some sort of odd shutter jump thing that happens but I'm not sure. My husband thinks it's a light leak but it doesn't look like a light leak to me.  I didn't think it was an aberration either ;) It's just odd and confused, poor little plastic camera doesn't know what to do with itself.
I purposefully went to a farm to shoot more animal photos since last year's WTCD Piggies photo I took.  It's now a theme (plus I like petting the fluffy animals). I don't think I had any balls in my shots ;)
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
Not an 'official toy' camera apparently, the Ilford Sporti certainly acts like one. Anyway, two snaps on HP5.
1. Downtown Stornoway
2. Later, at village beach

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:48:33 PM by Andrea »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 03:12:10 PM »
all great stuff here from everyone - and good to see the flying blackbird thing making it;s maiden voyage for WTCD this year cameron (hang on .... have you ever noticed how your name is strangely almost connected to your hobby - weird)

Heather .... you are not alone with the double exposure thing in the lower right corner of your holga 120s shots - mine does the exact same thing  - and I think Damion once told me his did too - this pic of my favourite white lurcher demonstrates it perfectly by giving Meg a wagging tail :

I think it's a reflection off the yellow wires that sync the hotshoe with the shutter - they are in the upper left so would correspond with the lower right on the neg.  They're the only things inside my holga that havent been  sprayed matt black to reduce reflections ... could be wrong though (stranger things have happened at sea - that Pope marrying a horse for one - Blackadder quote)
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »
Dave - Wicked second picture.
Heather - Wicked third picture.

Everything's wicked today, even though I'm stuck at Mancherster train station waiting for a train home! (and probably about to get trampled by the foota fans)

Chops

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Leon - All the wires for mine are hidden away... there's nothing inside to cause those reflections... I was going to rip mine open to double check but I remembered I have a half-used roll in there. The wires for the hotshoe are hiding in that black box bit behind the lens but the lens and image-making bits don't really let light in through there? When the roll is finished I'll open it up and look more closely. I vandalised modified mine to do "macro" mode. I was impatient to bother with undoing the magical screw that keeps the lens from unscrewing off the camera body so I kind of forced it and now the lens unscrews completely off  ;D But it does give me that one step closer about 2ft focusing beyond the one-person-head point!
Um oh yeah my point is that I can screw off the lens and look into the hole as the shutter works :) But it has no bulb mode so I can't see if it's lens-weirdness or shutter weirdness. The light would have to be really bouncing around everywhere to get a reflection off the hotshoe wires in mine.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
Ed, Leon, Thanks for the kind words. Feels good to have people appreciate your pics. I must admit I haven't shot that many things this year. I think I should kick myself a bit more often to go out and shoot. Busy life, living in a boring suburb (I should have written ugly beyond belief) far from anything worth putting on film with roads under construction all the time... barely have time to scan stuff!

This was the first time I went out with the camera my mom bought me a while ago. I instantly fell in love with the thing! I like how the Holga fits in my hand, but I love how simple and compact this thing is. Now I know why it said "VIP Gift" on the wrapper  ;D

Artpunk, I couldn't miss taking a shot of the exit ramp. The curve begged to be immortalized using cheap plastic :) I usually don't go to that place... but I wondered where the road with a dead-end sign would lead... in the end, it isn't even a real dead-end!
Funny you say you want to go to a funpark... the bridge is just across the street from a big amusement park! Only thing is that security is very tight, you can't access it when it's closed and tickets are amazingly expensive.

Laura, the film truly is wonderful. It's the cheapest thing on the market yet it gives me very nice colors. The lab hates it (they don't have a profile for it) but still give me great results. Not over saturated nor too dull like the 80's Kodak Gold.

Heather and Leon, I don't think the double exposure like effect is related to internal reflections. I once taped up an action sampler on the inside (boy are the film chambers small!!!) to no avail. Heather's effect is probably caused by a flaw in the lens (like on my action sampler) and Leon's is most probably a shutter problem. The way these work is there is a small cover part and a semi-circular shutter. When you press the button, the cover gets pushed (it's actually a lever on the Holga) and when tension on the spring is high enough, the cover pulls the shutter. When you release the button, the cover is supposed to block the aperture completely while the shutter works backwards. This is where your camera is probably faulty (not covering the aperture completely for a short period of time). This is why the problem only appears in one corner (because of the shape of the lever). How to fix it... I have no idea.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Great work as usual,  great to see so many photographers getting on board.Here are my efforts each are2 minute exposures on the Holga on Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal.  Did not expect too much as weather was poor in the morning it was almost dark when i took these but really pleased with thes three images.  One was an accidental double exposure.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
since i slept most of saturday, my wtcd was the day after. a couple shots from my own personal wtcd with a diana+ (first time using it in a year!).

that holga aberration is fairly common... you just have to have something in that corner besides ground to make it noticeable. i think it has something to do with reflection somewhere withing the camera. but what do i know.

"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »
excellent work everyone! i tested out the polga sun 4 instant film back for the holga this wtcd. here's a few using fuji fp-100c.

wiliam

ps. the shot of the toys was also a macro test.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
Wow, tons of good stuff! Looks like a very fruitful WTCD for all. Just 4 quick shots.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »
Formica - wicked robots!  Exterminate exterminate  :)

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
Eddie~ those are gorgeous - wow!

Great photos everyone - I was happy I got to finally participate this year even though my time was limited.  Here are a couple of my shots from a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim.

Kaometet

• 35mm
    • Kaometet
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
I'm busy macroing (?) lately and one of the shots I did last saturday is this one

Photostream : Kaometet