Author Topic: Leica R SLRs  (Read 2190 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Leica R SLRs
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Today's confused question....

Just been reading an article about Salgado and wondered why the Leica R series of SLRs never really took off?

Thanks,

Chops
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:44:35 PM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Leica R SLRs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
I think there's probably a lot of people who would disagree that they never 'took off'. Within their intended market, you could say they've been very succesful. But they have never been aimed at the mass market so are never going to compete with the Canons and Nikons etc.

If you fancy owning a Salgado leica, look here and have your $140,000 ready.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
The R8 is pretty beautiful!

Peter - Who was the R series aimed at?  I can't think of anyone well known who is associated with them?

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
Peter - Who was the R series aimed at?  I can't think of anyone well known who is associated with them?

I would say professionals and anyone with enough money to buy one. No, I can't name anyone well known either but I know one local professional who uses nothing else.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
I think what hurt Leica the most is simply never going to Autofocus.
The R series are well built image making machines. Sturdy with exceptionally smooth lenses. Their only real competitor was Contax when it comes to the luxury market. But the average professional would mostly go to either Canon or Nikon. Pentax and Minolta probably got the advanced amateurs.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:11 AM »
http://www.maxmilligan.com always used to use Leica Rs.  not sure if he still does
L.

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »

Who was the R series aimed at?  I can't think of anyone well known who is associated with them?

Who the Leica SLR series was/is aimed at is an issue of neverending debate in some (limited) circles.  It is, indeed, difficult to think of "serious" Leica R users (other than Salgado), though there are "old school" wedding and commercial shooters who use the gear. I believe, for instance, that Norbert Rosing, a wildlife photog for National Geographic is Leica R user. At trade shows Leica typically will have a display of photos by professionals who use M and R cameras.

The cameras and lenses are and always have been very expensive new.  Considering that the bodies from the R4 series through the R5, including the mechanical R6/R6.2, were based on a stock Minolta design, the excessive price always seemed hard to rationalize, except that it was the only way to have a platform for the Leica R lenses, some of which are superlative.

These days, with manual focus out of favor and everything being all digital, all of the time, remarkable bargains can be had if you want to investigate the Leica R line. Plus, Canon EOS adapters (some with focus confirmation) are readily available for Leica R lenses, so it's quite easy to slap a used, $400 90mm Summicron-R on a used $50 EOS Rebel.  If the Summicron doesn't rock your world, it likely can be sold for what you paid.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »
At trade shows Leica typically will have a display of photos by professionals who use M and R cameras.
I actually think there are more users than we think. Leica has/used to have its own magazine featuring the work of photographers dedicated to the brand. I have quite a few issues and one special edition promotional large sized fashion photography portfolio.

As for how many of them still use exclusively Leica R's is to be debated.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.