Author Topic: the lost roll  (Read 2198 times)

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
the lost roll
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:56:59 AM »
A story about film that nearly really was wasted.

I love finding a lost roll of film.  Well, usually it's film I didn't even know I'd lost until I find it again, and  process it wondering what I'm going to find.

This time it was a roll of 35mm TriX that turned up, I dunno, under a car seat or in a box o'stuff on the wardrobe or somewhere. It turned out to be a roll I shot in Israel. I kinda remembered processing film after that trip and being surprised I hadn't shot more 35mm, but usually I have taken so many images in so many formats I'm hard pressed to tell what's missing.

Anyway, I think this roll was pulled out of the camera one time  I was having an in depth chat with Isreali border security. They couldn't really figure out why my nikon was covered in gaffa tape, bellows and plastic. It was all just too weird looking for them so I removed the film and showed them the insides before I could get through.

And that was three years ago. Anyway, here's a snap. Scratch me and you'll find a photo secessionist just under the skin..

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: the lost roll
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »
Great story. Glorious photograph! Thanks. Skj.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
It's all good! Story and photo both. If he'd been a cleverer border guard he'd have recognised you for the genius you are and demanded to keep the film.
 ;D

SuzanneR

• 35mm
    • Suzanne Revy Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »
Boy, that's beautiful. Nothing better than found mystery film!!
Suzanne

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
That's a great story Don and a beautiful shot you've shared with us here.
re: "but usually I have taken so many images in so many formats I'm hard pressed to tell what's missing." I'm glad I'm not the only one!
 ;D
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
That's a great story Don and a beautiful shot you've shared with us here.
re: "but usually I have taken so many images in so many formats I'm hard pressed to tell what's missing." I'm glad I'm not the only one!
 ;D

Let's face it we all need an assistant to deal with this sort of thing.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »

:D
Y'know, it's a funny thing. Some of the pro shooters I know talk about their well trained assistants who whack a four digit code on every roll that comes out the camera, log it in excel on their blackberry and lord knows what else.

But every time i work with someone it doesn't happen that way. It's like they take one look at me and go "Yo this guy's easy" and they toss the roll in a bag probably the same way I would, and go chill with a coffee somewhere out back of the set.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

Y'know, it's a funny thing. Some of the pro shooters I know talk about their well trained assistants who whack a four digit code on every roll that comes out the camera, log it in excel on their blackberry and lord knows what else.

But every time i work with someone it doesn't happen that way. It's like they take one look at me and go "Yo this guy's easy" and they toss the roll in a bag probably the same way I would, and go chill with a coffee somewhere out back of the set.

...so errr. Don, you hiring at the moment,   sounds like i might be the guy your after!   i can do that easy,   do i have to supply my own coffee?

tijeras

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 01:26:51 AM »
oooh!
Love the back story, and the photo is sublime.

:) :)

Kaometet

• 35mm
    • Kaometet
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »
Looking at the photo I see a thin screaming gnome and after seeing that I can't see a tower anymore

:o
Photostream : Kaometet

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »
....you know, there IS a certain "Shrek" feel to this. I could totally see the screaming tower as a character in a Shrek movie.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »
 With all respect to the  Muslim faith... It is a bit Duloc isn't it?

But damn I wish you hadn't said that! Now I'll have to go back and edit out some of those windows  :-\