Author Topic: Developer recommendations for Neopan 400  (Read 6726 times)

jrong

• 35mm
    • Artemisworks
Developer recommendations for Neopan 400
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
I am hoping for some developer recommendations for Fuji Neopan 400.

Will be shooting it in fairly high-contrast situations, but I can't assume that for the entire roll. So I'd like a good general-purpose developer. I've tried it in HC-110 and found the results so-so, and a lot of people recommended Paterson Aculux 2, but for some reason, I didn't find this combination all that thrilling. Perhaps it was my developing technique, i.e no inversions, just gentle swirling as my sole agitation method.

I am not that keen on grain or high contrast, so Rodinal is out.

It'd be nice if people could recommend some non-Paterson stuff, because, well... I don't want to start liking something that is going to be discontinued (yet again).  ::)

Has anyone tried Neopan 400 in Diafine?

Thanks in advance.
Jin
ArtemisWorks Photography | www.artemisworks.plus.com
Anti-digital Militant :-)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Developer recommendations for Neopan 400
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
I saw you plan to use perceptol for your acros - why not with the 400 film too - you wont get much grain with that :)  a bit of speed loss though - would be the reason not to use this combo?  Oh, BTW, I saw you mourned the loss of apx .... well, as I think has been rumoured for a while, the new rollei retro 100 and 400 films are infact the apx films, stock bought up by maco just before agfa got into trouble, so it is still available, although wont be for ever.  Mind you, the price is pretty harsh ....  but you get a nice wooden box  ::)
L.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
Hi Jin,
I love Neopan 400 - it's so flexible. I use TMax developer on it and it comes up just great.

Janet

jrong

• 35mm
    • Artemisworks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »
I've already picked me up one of those wooden boxes, Leon. :) I'm an APX fan and while I have a little stash left, it doesn't hurt to keep replenishing stock! I just wish I were fonder of the Ilford offerings, but apart from Pan F+, I can't say I am a big fan.  :'(

Never even thought of souping Neopan 400 in Perceptol, but you're right, I'd like to rate 400 at 800 perhaps... and have seen some nice examples in Diafine (and some truly dire examples too - that keeps me vacillating).

Jin

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
For Neopan 400, I've used HC-110 (U.S. concentrate, not the European which is weaker) at Dilution H (1:47) with great results. It comes out to 3 ml for one 35mm reel or 7.5 ml for two 35s or one 120. It's a one shot soup which you develop for twice the time than Dil. B. That comes out to 10 min at 20C or 7 min at 24C.

The European concentrate (catalog #500 1466) requires more syrup since it's diluted. The ratio for Dil. H is 1:19, or 12mL and 24ML for one and two 35mm reels respectively with the same development times.

You can also push Neopan with this dilution. Check www.digitaltruth.com.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

jrong

• 35mm
    • Artemisworks
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
Thanks for the recomendations. I tried Dil H and 10 mins and it works out a LOT better than dil B and 5 mins. :) Thanks for the suggestion. It's still a bit rough with high contrast scenes, but a lot better than what I was getting with the previous formula.

Jin

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »
Jin

Just dev'd a roll of Neopan 400 120 rated at 400 in PMK Pyro for 12mins and looks preety good to me - it'd help control the contrast too - mix it yourself and its cheap as chips - Leon must've had an Ilford moment not to have mentioned it:)

Take care, Carl

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »
Carl, after last friday's tour, the rest of my life is going to be an ilford moment!  You missed a good day.
L.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »
Carl, after last friday's tour, the rest of my life is going to be an ilford moment!  You missed a good day.

I know I've read the thread seems as though Simon et al did you proud - to make things even worse, I had the worst kind of day at the Fort! Still awaiting two packs of 5x7 HP5 & FP4 for the new Canham today :) Kerik arrives Wednesday and off to Mull & Iona at the end of the month!!!

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 09:28:05 AM »
The last couple of times I've flown back to Manchester I've seen the Ilford factory from the plane - good advertising to have ILFORD in giant letters on the roof, and very reassuring to see such a big place churning out solely black and white products ...

To go back to the topic though - I develop N400 in Xtol 1+2.  Keeps the contrast well under control, although I think all the Fuji b&w films inherently have a touch more than the Ilford and Kodak equivalents.

FrankB

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
One more Ilford product to mention; DD-X. Quite pricey and only available in 1 litre sizes (enough for 16 rolls of 135 or 10 rolls of 120), but I do get nice negs from it. Grain is fine and tonality is smooth.

I'll admit I haven't tried it with any of the Fuji emulsions but I can't see any reason why the results shouldn't be as good as with Ilford stock.