Author Topic: Article about Deutsche Borse prize  (Read 1820 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Article about Deutsche Borse prize
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
An interesting round-up and commentary on the shortlisted photographers for this year's Deutsche Borse prize:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/photography/story/0,,2255809,00.html

I'm with the writer all the way as far as John Davies is concerned, but I'll be interested to hear what some of you have to say about his comments on Fazal Sheikh, as I know there are a few fans of his on Filmwasters.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Re: Article about Deutsche Borse prize
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »
I'll try and find out more about the others, but yes, John Davies' work is utterly superb. I got his book of landscapes out of the library and they are a wonderful document of the British land/city. Acts of love and art.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:01:08 PM by Karl »
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Fintan

• Film Photography Workshops Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »
Pity only a small selection of images are shown, can the others be seen anywhere?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
:::DISCLAIMER - Written in haste at work so this is a gut reaction and not a carefully considered post :::

Ailsa, thanks for the piece re the DB Prize. I'll be popping along there to admire the collected works ASAP; very much looking forward to it.

You knew - obviously - that I wouldn't be able to resist the bait you left hanging regarding the journalist's reaction to Fazal Shaikh's work and honestly I'm suprised by it. You know when you watch a football match with  three other people and one of you comes away seemingly having seen a different match? Your team scraped a lucky win after being under the cosh for 85 minutes and while you and your friend agree on the score, you stand there open mouthed when you hear them confidently proclaim,

"We were all over them. If it hadn't been for the ref we'd have been 3 up at half time".

Well this is kind of how I feel about this article.

What's funny is that I agree with most of the facts and the detail that he uses, but disagree completely with where he takes it from there. I'd actually re-use most of his material about Shaikh to support my own point of view - that Shaikh is producing profound, worthy, humanising, powerful and beautiful work that can't help but bring attention to the plight of his various subjects and that if the beauty of the work unsettles some viewers then that's probably a good thing because it means they'll continue to think about the subject.

Anything that forces the viewer to think for the first time about Shaikh's sitters as real people with families and stories to tell instead of just as statistics or background visuals on a 90 second slot in the evening news is a good thing.

Also, I don't quite see what the journalist has a problem with. Should Shaikh take worse photos than he has the ability to just because the subject matter is tragic? Should not Shaikh, as an artist trying to get a message across, not present his work in the strongest possible way?

Within the context of a competition like this (funded by a huge corporate entity) the fact that this collection of work is more worthy than that becomes irrelevant so I'm not saying that Shaikh should 'win' or anything; I just don't understand Mr Journalist's reaction to seeing work like this and being put off by it.

Might be worth sending Simon Norfolk round to talk him into the ground for a week or two.

;D ;D

(There.....I'm done)