Author Topic: Weekend - August 2, 3 & 4, 2024  (Read 1500 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend - August 2, 3 & 4, 2024
« on: August 02, 2024, 10:36:21 PM »
Trying out a new lenses with my Leica IIIf.  Adox HR-50 developed in Beer.

Independence day parade in my town.  Elmar 9cm f/4 lens. 
Marching Band by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Car show that coincided with the parade.  Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5.  I already had one of these lenses but found this really nice one at an estate sale for a great price.  It's my favorite lens so why not have another one.
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Station Wagon by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Leitz Summitar f/2 5cm with Proximeter I close-up attachment.  I posted about this close-up attachment in the "I Just Picked up" thread.  I have a NOOKY close-up attachment made by Leitz that I like much better. 
https://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6181.msg141990#msg141990
Flower close-up by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend - August 2, 3 & 4, 2024
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 11:21:54 PM »
You just gotta love a car with too much stuff stuck on it 😁
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2024, 03:23:58 PM »
You just gotta love a car with too much stuff stuck on it 😁
I was in that Parade once years ago.  My neighbors kids were in a school science club and wanted to be in the parade.   I let them decorate my pickup truck.  They put a trebuchet in the back and shot candy into the crowd while I drove them along the route.  We all had a lot of fun. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2024, 04:00:17 PM »
For some reason, anything related to a trebuchet is always synonymous with fun 😁
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 01:03:01 PM »
It's pretty sparse around here it seems when it is time to go back to school...
I'm late to the weekend, but here's a shot of one of the "Salt" Missions south of me.
Vivitar Wide and slim with some expired Kodak.

All the Kodak discussion on the other thread has me thinking of just not using their film any more.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 03:30:49 PM »
Just looking at those colors, I could have guessed it was the UW&S... I don't know what they did to that lens but it sure is a solid performer when it comes down to color.

As for using Kodak or not, I always have the same train of thought: if it's too expensive I'll just use something else. I'm pretty brand agnostic on that front and I never really get attached to one or the other.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 08:10:16 PM »
Yeah, they did a great job on the lens, whatever they did!
As far as colour, I'm the same way for the most part. Whatever is cheap. I still have some of the Agfa I got from Irv, and need to use it up as it's long expired now...
I just wish the colour film makers would just settle down and stop all this crazy lomo-esque colour shifting nonsense they do.
I'm just an old stick I guess, but a few good colour selections that are consistent would suit me fine. And keep the price affordable.

Okay, I'm off my little ranty soap box.

Back to the Ultra Wide and slim, my original still works that I bought for seven dollars new in a box when they first hit the pavement. it looks like a train wreck, but that lens, as you said...it's a keeper.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2024, 10:51:16 PM »
I'm with you on the color shifting stuff.
The only effect film they make that I'd like to try is their Metropolis as it looks quite interesting.
Apart from that, cheap is best.
I know I was so disappointed by the roll of Aerocolor IV that I tried, there's pretty much no word to describe how it made me feel. I really wanted to like it, but it sadly didn't cooperate the slightest bit.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2024, 05:08:45 PM »
All the Kodak discussion on the other thread has me thinking of just not using their film any more.

Which thread are you referring to? I too am mostly brand-agnostic, although I do have a soft spot for Ilford and Agfa. Otherwise I'm happy to get the cheapest stuff that fulfills my criteria 😊 (also, unlike you, I DO love all the color shifting stuff, but I prefer to do that on my own by cross processing slide film 😊 hopefully some of that exact stuff coming up from my trip to Italy in the next weekend thread!)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2024, 05:36:14 PM »

Which thread are you referring to? I too am mostly brand-agnostic, although I do have a soft spot for Ilford and Agfa. Otherwise I'm happy to get the cheapest stuff that fulfills my criteria 😊 (also, unlike you, I DO love all the color shifting stuff, but I prefer to do that on my own by cross processing slide film 😊 hopefully some of that exact stuff coming up from my trip to Italy in the next weekend thread!)

the Thread about Kodak Alaris

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2024, 09:10:53 PM »

the Thread about Kodak Alaris

Keep in mind Kodak and Kodak Alaris are two different companies.  Kodak Alaris was created as part of the bankruptcy and only distributes non-movie film.  Kodak still manufactures all the film and sells movie film on it's own.  I don't see Kodak halting production of film because Alaris decides not to distribute it.  In my opinion, there are some great products from Kodak that you can't replace with another brand.  That would be Tri-X, Ektachrome 100, and most of their color negative films. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2024, 02:30:28 PM »
In my opinion, there are some great products from Kodak that you can't replace with another brand.  That would be Tri-X, Ektachrome 100, and most of their color negative films.

I totally agree with this. I have tried a lot of negative colour films and none of them are anywhere near the Porta films in colour rendition. And with the Fuji Reala Ace long since gone I don't know what could replace the Portra for landscape photography.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2024, 03:44:48 PM »
I must admit that those Portra tones are quite something...
It's pretty sad that Fuji has dropped the ball on professional films.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2024, 08:20:08 PM »
Yes, Portra is the bomb. It's just so posh.
Even when it was cheaper I barely used it because it cost more then, and I'm a tramp film user for the most part and use what is cheap.
Kodak Gold has been a goto for colour and has always worked well for me, even when I self develop.

I just get frustrated with prices of film, so don't listen too intently to my subtle rants about costs.

If good old color Polaroid would come back, I would start hocking stuff to have it again....     ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2024, 10:29:45 PM »
I'm with you on the annoyed front.
I just hate it when there's nothing you can do. But since complaining doesn't go nowhere, I've stopped doing that too and just use the old stuff in the freezer.
I have a plan for a project that will need some 400 speed film, but all the stuff I have is at least a decade old... I'm going to have to consider push processing the stuff.
Francois