Author Topic: Weekend... once again... 2024-07-19  (Read 844 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Weekend... once again... 2024-07-19
« on: July 19, 2024, 03:13:21 PM »
It's been a while since I hadn't started the party.
It's also been a while since I hadn't shot anything.
So, I got out the bought a long time ago but never used bellows set for my Minolta, ripped a few flowers from the garden and went to town on them.
All those photos were taken at full extension with the 100mm lens. That means that they are all bigger than real life on the negative.
What I have here was all about the size of the fingernail on my pinkie... pretty insane.
All shot on some Photolab 100 (which is some kind of Fuji Superia) that expired in 2017, so I exposed at EI 32. The negatives are all a bit too dense for my taste, I should have dialed-back the exposure, but I blame the center weighted metering on the camera and the lack of color variation of the subject and not my own sloppiness in trusting the meter. 😁

Enjoy!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Weekend... once again... 2024-07-19
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 04:31:10 PM »
I have a bellows setup like that for my OM system.  They are a lot of fun but can be a little tricky to get exposure and depth of field just right.  https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=60348236%40N07&sort=date-taken-desc&text=olympus+OM-1+bellows&view_all=1

This is my last roll of film from Tern Island.  Sorry, it's back to puppy pictures after this.  Olympus OM-1 with Olympus OM-System S Zuiko MC Auto-Zoom f/4 35-70mm.  Ferrania P30 Developed in Rodinal 1:50.  I shot these at EI 50, should have stuck with EI 25 and beer developer, that's where I have had the best results with P30.  More in my photo essay.  If you look really close you will see a few boobies. 

Warehouse and Beach by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Black Noddy Nesting in Barracks by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 06:54:11 PM »
A couple from Independence Day weekend. My grandkids like the concept of goggles but haven't exactly mastered their usage; maybe next year. Our block sponsors a waterslide for the "kids" each year, except that a) there are only a couple of school-age kids in the neighborhood currently and b) "kid" seems to be broadly defined on this particular holiday. In any event, the weather was nice and everyone had a good time. Leica M4P, Summi 35mm, Kentmere 100.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 11:24:40 PM »
They are a lot of fun but can be a little tricky to get exposure and depth of field just right.
I quickly figured out that they are not as easy as the extension tubes I'm so used to. Even when I stopped down, things didn't really go according to plan... Hence about 4 well exposed photos on a roll of 24...

I found again an old french computer book from the 80's for photographers that gives a bunch of formulas and programs for Apple ][. I've been porting them to Android since January. There are a lot of formulas for macro photography, so next time I'll probably just take an incident reading and adjust the bellows compensation mathematically instead of relying on the center-weighted metering which obviously failed to give the proper exposure even if I tried to compensate by eye.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.