Author Topic: Weekend 24th - 26th May 2024  (Read 900 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Weekend 24th - 26th May 2024
« on: May 24, 2024, 06:04:15 PM »
Earlier this week I went past a small cemetery in Stavanger, took a few shots there. On the adjacent common there has recently been erected a monument in honour of a local resistance group that operated during the German occupation in WWII. So it's taken 80 years from the day they were executed by the Germans to finally being recognized. But these guys belonged to the communist party, and after the war the ruling parties tried to erase them from history.

Yashica J-P / Mir 1B / Seagull 400 @200 ISO in HC-110
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:05:58 PM by Kai-san »
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Weekend 24th - 26th May 2024
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 01:03:05 AM »
The weekend is here, and in the UK and the US at least we have a public holiday on Monday. Nice!  8) I finally got a couple of films back from the lab and have been going through them. I thought I'd post a short series of rock pool close-ups that I took on a beach in Cornwall last month. I was using the new-to-me Minolta X-700 with a faithful old binocular lens hand-held in front of it. I enjoy this setup and have used it with SLRs for years and years - mainly to get blurry shots of flowers and plants. This was the first time in a while though and I ended up getting my fingers in the corners of a couple of shots, so had to crop them.

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 03:32:02 AM »
My cousin visited us this week with her dalmatian! Couldn't help but take some photos. Mamiya RZ67, HP5+, developed in D-76.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 03:14:28 PM »
Happy Weekend! Unfortunately no holiday over here.
Love those close ups Ed.

Mine is an old moat with some not so old turtles I found during a photowalk in Aschaffenburg. Agfa Super Isolette and Ilford Delta 100, developed in XT-3.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 03:53:39 PM »
The weekend is here, and in the UK and the US at least we have a public holiday on Monday. Nice!  8) I finally got a couple of films back from the lab and have been going through them. I thought I'd post a short series of rock pool close-ups that I took on a beach in Cornwall last month. I was using the new-to-me Minolta X-700 with a faithful old binocular lens hand-held in front of it. I enjoy this setup and have used it with SLRs for years and years - mainly to get blurry shots of flowers and plants. This was the first time in a while though and I ended up getting my fingers in the corners of a couple of shots, so had to crop them.

I love these shots Ed! What do you reckon the approximate combined focal length is?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 04:25:53 PM »
I love these shots Ed! What do you reckon the approximate combined focal length is?

Well, I'm not entirely sure, but here is a photo of the setup with the binocular lens in front of the 50mm Minolta lens (plus skylight filter) and also the same thing with a rule showing ~110mm from the front of the binocular lens to roughly where the film plane is. Obvs, I use both the binocular lens and the 500mm to focus, but 110mm is the fullest extension. So I guess the focal length is something less than 110mm? I'll level with you and admit that I had to look up the definition of focal length  ;D ;D ;D But, I'm glad you like the snaps.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 04:31:56 PM by Ed Wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 04:30:01 PM »
My cousin visited us this week with her Dalmatian! Couldn't help but take some photos. Mamiya RZ67, HP5+, developed in D-76.

Wowza! These are very striking, especially the first one. Gorgeous light and clarity.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 01:30:31 PM »
Bought a near mint conditon C330 to replace the C33 ( so hat tip to Nigel for the FROM JAPAN website suggestion ), these are some test shots with the 135mm lens.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 11:09:26 PM »
A late one for me... I finally developed a roll of Aerocolor IV (the one by FlicFilm) that I had in my camera for way too long. This was processed in fresh C-41.
Now... it's rare that I will rant about a film stock; but this stuff, while interesting, is just so horrible!
The film base is so thin that I had a hard time feeding it in the sleeves. When it comes to film, I've never seen such a dist magnet! This picture had about 15 specks of dist on it and was out of the drying cabinet for only about 2 minutes before hitting the scanner.

Now, the base is what I would definitely call strange. There is a bit of a mask, but not on the sprockets. It's been exposed by a machine and is not built-in the base. But the masking color is so strange that my cheap instant scanner simply refused to recognize it and turned all my images into B&W... so I had to scan as slide, invert the image, manually adjust the levels for R,G & B, Adjust the whole RGB setting. Then I got something decent.
The contrast is very low and the negative is quite flat.

So, here's one I converted from earlier this spring.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 08:14:16 PM »
Bought a near mint conditon C330 to replace the C33 ( so hat tip to Nigel for the FROM JAPAN website suggestion ), these are some test shots with the 135mm lens.

Very nice! You nailed the focus in these shots. I sometimes struggle with the Mamiya C330 (and did with the C33, before it broke). At first I thought it was the camera, but now I think it is just me not being accurate enough.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 08:25:44 PM »
Now... it's rare that I will rant about a film stock; but this stuff, while interesting, is just so horrible!

That sounds terrible. I think I'll cross that film of my list. It is getting quite hard to find any decent and affordable color film nowadays.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 09:33:50 PM »
I know.
I've now got a roll of Ilford Phoenix that I'll have to try (I got it on my birthday).
I was putting a lot of home on that roll of Flicfilm Elektra 100... But I sadly foind nothing to really love in there. It might be different for others. It possibly would benefit from being pushed by 1 stop. But at the price, I won't be the one to try this.

It's funny because I have the exposed  and developed leader on my desk and I'm fascinated by how little density the exposed part has. I have sunglasses that have more density than that! Also, the color of the exposed part is a pretty neutral gray, something I wasn't expecting from a color film.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 02:25:28 AM »
Sorry about your film experience Francois! I myself shot some experimental film this week, the experiment being that I know that this batch of Kodak Gold was stored in an oven that was then transported to the Sahara desert, where it got buried by the sands of time and was only recently unearthed by a caravan of Bedouins on camels, who proceeded to take their time getting it to Cairo from whence it was put on a steamer ship that circumnavigated the world before finally alighting at New York harbor, tossed off the ship onto the rocks of the East River, where I discovered it and proceeded to load into a new-to-me but old-to-me Olympus Trip AF (which of course I read as TRIP AS F*CK!!!) which is a fully automatic P&S pocket camera. 99% of the shots came out super grainy, underexposed, and VERY blue-shifted, but with a little scanner and Lightroom magic I was able to conjure up this image, which quite pleases me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 02:33:46 AM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2024, 02:27:55 AM »
* "new-to-me but old-to-me" because I discovered the camera in my storage space a little while ago ... I must have shot on it in the early 90's, based on the roll that I recovered from it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm happy to see that "Desert Fresh" film still exists 😊
But honestly, it's not bad for something this old and well stored.
And it does have that city vibe we don't get to experience in the burbs.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2024, 06:17:37 PM »
I'm happy to see that "Desert Fresh" film still exists 😊
But honestly, it's not bad for something this old and well stored.
And it does have that city vibe we don't get to experience in the burbs.

Wherever there's an Indofunk, there will be Desert Freshâ„¢ Film 😂