Author Topic: Hollywood Hike  (Read 5831 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Hollywood Hike
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:33:23 PM »
A co-worker that used to live in Southern California told me about a hike in the Hollywoodland neighborhood.  Hollywoodland is a neighborhood built in the 1920's on steep hills above Los Angeles.  The hike is a series of staircases that connect the steep winding roads for pedestrians.  Some of the original staircases are gone and one was closed when I was there. I hiked the stairs and wandered the neighborhood enjoying the variety of architecture.  Since this is a short hike I decided to take an Uber to there so I could go exploring and not worry about getting back to where I parked a car.  I ended up hiking across the valley and up to Griffith Observatory.  After that I hiked down into hollywood and ended near Grauman's Chinese Theatre on Hollywood boulevard.  The total hike was about 6.5 miles through suburbs, woods, and city.  These first shots are from the Hollywoodland Stairs part of the hike.

I brought a Leica IIIc with a Summitar 5cm f/2 and a Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 lens.  The film is Kodak Panatomic-X expired 3/1963, developed in beer. 

Hollywoodland Stairs by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The Hollywood sign was originally built to advertise this neighborhood.  It originally read Hollywoodland but the land part was removed when it went through a restoration in 1949.
Hollywoodland by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I am a big fan of Mid Century Modern architecture but I prefer a house with a good solid foundation. 
Hollywoodland House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Hollywood Hike
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:44:54 PM »
This was my favorite part of the hike, the Griffith Observatory.  It opened in 1935 and has been a famous location for several movies like Rebel Without a Cause starring James Dean.

View from one of the hiking trails.
Griffith Observatory by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Coelostat/Solar Telescope dome.
Coelostat/Solar Telescope by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Zeiss Telescope Dome.
Zeiss Telescope Dome by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

12-Inch Zeiss Refracting Telescope located in the dome above.  I shot this with a 1/2 second shutter speed bracing the camera by hand against a glass window. 
12-Inch Zeiss Refracting Telescope by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

View of downtown Los Angeles from the rooftop.
Downtown LA by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Door to Samuel Oschin Planetarium.
Door to Samuel Oschin Planetarium by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:57:45 PM by Bryan »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 11:54:53 PM »
This is where it gets weird, Hollywood Boulevard.

I didn't stop to ask but I'm pretty sure this guy was selling weed on the sidewalk.  I know marijuana is legal in California but I don't think you're allowed to sell it in public like that.  It could have just been for his personal use but he had enough laid out in front of him to stay high for over a week straight. 
Marijuana Street Vendor by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I could have gone home with an Oscar but they seem a lot cheaper when you see them up close.  Maybe I'll hold out for an Emmy. 
Oscars by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These guys were exercising their freedom of speech.
Black Hebrew Israelites by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These guys were exercising their freedom to Rock!
Sidewalk Rock by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 07:54:08 PM »
Really interesting stuff in essay there Bryan
I didn't know that about the Hollywood sign and will store it in the crevices of my mind for if it ever comes up on a quiz night. Didn't the guy selling challenge you taking his photo?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 07:05:07 PM »
Really interesting stuff in essay there Bryan
I didn't know that about the Hollywood sign and will store it in the crevices of my mind for if it ever comes up on a quiz night. Didn't the guy selling challenge you taking his photo?

Thanks Irv!  The guy selling weed was probably too high to give a damn, I got no reaction from him.  He's also sitting in plain view on a very busy public sidewalk and tourist attraction, he can't possibly expect much privacy there.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:58:54 PM »
Wowza! Bryan, top marks for this. Wonderful stuff indeed. Sorry I didn't comment on it before now, but thanks for taking the time to post and add the commentary. My family and I flew from London to LA in the summer of 2019 to stay with friends in Silverlake and would obviously visited a number of the same spots...albeit not in one go  ;D it would have been unthinkable to have done the 6.5 miles in that heat, but I would dearly love to get back to LA again outside of the summer heat and do some walking. I know, "LA" and "walking" don't generally get mentioned in the same sentence!!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 06:29:56 AM »
Wowza! Bryan, top marks for this. Wonderful stuff indeed. Sorry I didn't comment on it before now, but thanks for taking the time to post and add the commentary. My family and I flew from London to LA in the summer of 2019 to stay with friends in Silverlake and would obviously visited a number of the same spots...albeit not in one go  ;D it would have been unthinkable to have done the 6.5 miles in that heat, but I would dearly love to get back to LA again outside of the summer heat and do some walking. I know, "LA" and "walking" don't generally get mentioned in the same sentence!!
Thanks Ed, that was a great time of the year to be there, not too hot for a hike.  You do have to watch your back walking around some areas in LA.