Author Topic: Things That Warm The Heart #2  (Read 3292 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Things That Warm The Heart #2
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
From an email I received during the week:

"...also - i can bring you some efke, if you'd like it. they make in in the neighbourhood and it's quite fresh."

Sometimes life's great. Thanks, Gricko.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
Re: Things That Warm The Heart #2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:37:48 PM »
I've got a medium format project coming up and I was considering going with EFKE films, though I've never actually tried them. I'm looking for something fairly fine grained, with nice tones of course... I was thinking to get some 100ASA, as it seems I could push to 200 without too much trouble if necessary? Most shots will be outdoor, architecture, street shots, etc. Varied lighting... Any thoughts?

-Jason

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »
By the way... also considering Illford FP4 125 or Delta 100, which I've used before. How would they compare to the EFKE?

-Jason

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
efke films are great when you get a good batch - they have an old fashioned feel to them that has been lost in the modern t-grain films.  The grain is quite prominent though unless you go for the really slow film. - but it's nice grain.

However.  I stopped using them because of Quality control problems and they curl like mad which is one of my pet hates - curly negs and leon do not get on.
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »
It's such a shame that APX100 isn't around anymore - it had all the classic tones of Efke but without any of the hassles.  I still have a few rolls in my freezer that I'm saving for a special day!

In the meantime though I've switched to Acros for my medium speed film of choice - totally reliable in any situation, insanely fine-grained, and curl-free.  I can't remember the particulars, but I'm sure I pushed a few rolls some years ago with good results.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »
However.  I stopped using them because of Quality control problems and they curl like mad which is one of my pet hates - curly negs and leon do not get on.
Ugh... won't work then. I can't stand the curly negs either... avoid them at all costs.

In the meantime though I've switched to Acros for my medium speed film of choice - totally reliable in any situation, insanely fine-grained, and curl-free.  I can't remember the particulars, but I'm sure I pushed a few rolls some years ago with good results.
Thanks, David. Sounds like what I'm looking for. May be worth running a roll or two through to see how it works for me.

-Jason

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
there's still plenty of in date old stock apx 100 for sale, then of course there's rollei retro 100 which IS apx 100 at double the price (but you get a nice box).  but these wont last forever.  I understand someone is using the old agfa machinery to re-make apx 100 but is still in development.  could be just another film rumour mind you.
L.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
I've literally just come back from the darkroom and was tryinto contact print some Efke 25 and 100 film. I was on the verge of thowing the contact frame across the room but had to settle with general muffled grunting and swearing (it's a communal facility). It is SOOO blimmin' curly. It was a strange act of moving fingers, arms, elbows, torso just to get the frame to close on it. It's a similar excercise with the scanner, where it usually springs out on to the floor or gets a kink in it.  I only used it because I had nothing else left and the 7dayshop order had taken an age to arrive. Never again. FP4 is wonderful enough. Perhaps panf 50 might do it for you although at the print size I go to I don't bother.

Grrrr.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:19:53 PM »
Have you tried ironing it flat?  ;D

I've never tried this but it might just work. Just don't set the iron at higher than "Polyester" or you'll end up with a guaranteed meltdown.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:35:06 PM »
I have heard of people doing this actually- put it between one or two layers of mountboard and iron at the lowest setting.

Never tried myself so attempt at your own risk... ::)

-Jason