Author Topic: Found Film  (Read 28509 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Found Film
« on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:13 AM »
I was going thru some stuff this weekend and found some rolls of film that I got with a bunch of stuff at an estate sale several years ago.  I never got around to scanning any of them until now.  I still have a few rolls that I will scan when I have time.  These were shot on Kodak Plus-X film with a date code indicating it was manufactured in 1962.  I think these may have been shot on or around Fort Lewis, an army base South of Seattle. 

Found film 1962 Kodak Plus-X - 1 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Found film 1962 Kodak Plus-X - 2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Found film 1962 Kodak Plus-X - 3 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Found Film
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:50 AM »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »
Scanned another roll of 35mm film I found at an estate sale.  The film is Kodak Plus-XX with a date code of 1948.

Christmas Portrait by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Grandfather Santa by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
These next 5 were shot on Oahu, Hawaii no later than the early 1950's.  I know that because they were shot on DuPont 5948 Nitrate film, Nitrate film wasn't made past the early 1950's.  These first two are fishermen tending to their tuna boat in Honolulu. 

Tuna Boat by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Hosing Down Tuna Boat by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »
These next three, from the same roll as above, were all shot around the Lanikai marker in Kailua.  The monument is still there but it no longer has the chains on it.  The house in this first photo is still there, still looks the same.

Lanikai Monument with House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Lanikai Monument by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Moku Nui & Moku Iki from Lanikai by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
So cool! And great that you can identify where and when they were taken!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
Which makes me think that I have a box of slides that I should scan.
I know some of them are from the Tokyo World Expo...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
Very cool

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »
So cool! And great that you can identify where and when they were taken!

Figuring out the date and time takes a little detective work (Google), but that’s half the fun of it.  If it’s Kodak film this comes in handy for figuring out the manufacture date.

https://www.kodak.com/uploadedfiles/motion/Guide_to_Identifying_Year_of_Manufacture.pdf] [url]https://www.kodak.com/uploadedfiles/motion/Guide_to_Identifying_Year_of_Manufacture.pdf[/url]

In that family portrait above with the child there’s a radio on the left.  I have a small collection of old radios that I restored, one of them is a Hallicrafters shortwave radio.  At first I thought that was a different Hallicrafters model but after a lot of searching I discovered it’s an RME 69.  It was made in 1936 so it didn’t help much dating the photo but I learned something interesting about that model.  The Dutch Underground used it for the resistance throughout the war. 

https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/RME69.html] [url]https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/RME69.html[/url]

The toy truck in the grandfathers lap helped a little but I couldn’t narrow down exactly when it was made.  I think a lot of people that assign dates or decades of manufacture to it are just guessing.  I saw anywhere between 1930’s and 1950’s. 

The Hawaii photos were easy to locate, I searched the name on the monument.  It turns out I was about two blocks from it a few months ago.  Dating them was tough, not much information on DuPont film.  A car in one of the photos I didn’t post puts it to the late 1940’s or early 1950’s but it’s hard to make out exactly what car it is.  The monument was built in 1924. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
I have more rolls to go through, here's the latest.  These two took a bit of detective work but I was able to identify the mountain in the background, it's Mt. Moffett on Adak Island in Alaska.  That would make this Naval Air Facility Adak.  I think that's where the Navy sent you when you screwed up really bad.  Someone once told me that they would tell the young men that were heading to Adak that there's a pretty woman behind every tree.  Of course you get there and there's no trees.  The film is Kodak Plus-X with a date code of 1962.  This was a small section of film with 2.5 frames that was separated from a roll for some reason.  It's interesting to see how their living quarters looked on the interior.  These Quonset huts are all over the place in Alaska.  I have seen them were someone transformed them into residential homes. 

Mt. Moffett by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Quonset Hut Interior by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

http://www.alsap.org/Adak/Adak.htm

https://stationhypo.com/2018/01/05/nsga-adak-alaska-decommissioned-january-31-1996/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »
These were from a separate roll than the two above but they look like they were taken at the same base on Adak.  The film was again Plus-X but dated 1963.  You would think the Time magazine would help date the photo but it's a 1944 issue.  It was about 20 years old when the soldier was reading it.  If you look at the Kodak date codes they repeat every 20 years.  The date code for this film is for 1923, 1943 and 1963.  Since Plus-X wasn't produced until 1954 this would have to be the later. 

Reading Time August 7 1944 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Posing in Fox Hole by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Lounging in the Quonset Hut by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
Same roll as above.

Three Soldiers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Two Soldiers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 06:23:15 PM »
That looks like Radar O'Reilly!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »
Getting cooler and cooler!!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
Not sure if this is off the short roll I posted above but it's the same Quonset Hut after the snow thawed. 

Mt. Moffett and Quonset Hut by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
These next 5 came off another roll of Kodak Plus-X film.  The date code on the film indicates it was manufactured in 1972.  Since the date codes repeated every 20 years a date of 1952 is out of the question because that was before they made Plus-X.  A few of the pictures are a Douglas C54 (DC-4) Military Air Transport Service (MATS) plane.  Those were taken out of service in 1975.  One picture (not included) showed a sign for Halemaʻumaʻu Trail, that's on the big island of Hawaii in Volcanoes National Park.  There developing job on this roll of film was horrible, some of the film was loaded wrong on the spool so it didn't get developed, must have been against another part of the film.  There were chemical splatters all over the film, not just water stains. 

Hiking to Halemaʻumaʻu Crater by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

That's a Kodak Pony 135 camera.  I would not go hiking in those shoes. 
Hiking with Kodak Pony 135 camera by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Hawaiian Swimming Hole. by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
This is the Douglas C-54 (DC-4) Military Air Transport Service (MATS) plane from the same roll.  The C-54 was the military version of the DC-4, many were converted to DC-4 by Douglas after they were taken out of military service. 

Douglas C-54 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Douglas C-54 Engine by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
That lagoon looks like something from Gilligan's Island! ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 01:02:06 AM »

Fun fact: The lagoon from Gilligan's Island was on a studio lot that backed up to the freeway. They often had to pause shooting when the traffic was too loud.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 01:14:25 AM »

Fun fact: The lagoon from Gilligan's Island was on a studio lot that backed up to the freeway. They often had to pause shooting when the traffic was too loud.

Don't you spoil my childhood memories!!  >:(

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 03:44:20 AM »
I think I just discovered a mistake I made in dating the Plus-X film.  I was going by a Wikipedia list of discontinued films that has Plus-X Pan listed but not Plus-X, I thought they were one in the same.  The original Plus-X came out in 1938.  I discovered this when I was looking closer at the interior shot of the Quonset hut.  There’s a box of Hi Ho crackers on the table.  The box design changed around 1950, the box in the photo is from the 1940’s.  I think this pushes my estimated date on the Plus-X shots back 20 years since the date codes repeat every 20 years.  That makes sense with the Time magazine dated 1944. 

The Douglas C-54 came into service in 1942 so that could push the latest Hawaii pictures to 1952.  The Kodak Pony 135 came out in 1950. 

According to this article Plus-X was first introduced as a motion picture film in 1938, other formats shortly after that. 

[url]http://photo-analogue.blogspot.com/2016/12/kodak-plus-x.html]http://photo-analogue.blogspot.com/2016/12/kodak-plus-x.html] [url]http://photo-analogue.blogspot.com/2016/12/kodak-plus-x.html[/url]

For the Adak pictures, that was Adak Army Airfield at that time.  It wasn’t turned over to the Navy until 1950. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:43:49 AM by Bryan »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
The C-54 is marked for MATS, which puts it between 1948-66, after which the command was renamed Military Airlift Command (MAC).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
The C-54 is marked for MATS, which puts it between 1948-66, after which the command was renamed Military Airlift Command (MAC).

thanks for that, I was wondering why some things seemed a bit our of date.  There must be a better list of film types by date than that incomplete list on Wikipedia.  There's very little information on Du Pont Nitrate film.

The base on Adak was only a few years old in 1944, if it was the 1960's it would have looked more established.  It was built in haste in 1942 to drive the Japanese out of the Aleutian islands, the only invasion of US soil during WWII. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
Looking at the Time Magazine, I doubt that the military would have out of date magazines.
Besides, the magazine looks like it's in great shape. I don't think a 20 year old magazine that would have been read by dozens of people would still be in such a condition. Just look at the ones at the dentist office for reference.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Looking at the Time Magazine, I doubt that the military would have out of date magazines.
Besides, the magazine looks like it's in great shape. I don't think a 20 year old magazine that would have been read by dozens of people would still be in such a condition. Just look at the ones at the dentist office for reference.

I agree, that was bugging me.  I think it's pretty cool that these are WWII era photos. 

I did find some information on the Du Pont Nitrate film.  Based on the linked document below it's 127 Superior-3 Panchromatic film that came out in 1940.  That's based on the number 3 just before the footage number in the edge markings.  The typeface of the edge markings date it from the late 1930's to mid 1950's but in the US nitrate film was not manufactured after 1950.  It was still produced for a few more years in Europe.  It's in the date range that I thought so I may be correct on this one.  I don't think the 127 has anything to do with Kodak 127 film, the one they have listed before it is 126 and it came out in 1940, way too early for 126 film. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=2ahUKEwj-17-C_JzpAhUWr54KHUprBEIQFjANegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ferikpiil.files.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F06%2Fdupontedgecode.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1696G-DC6obDVxkK4zVs31

Some interesting photos of Du Pont film manufacturing.

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora:2222851?page=44&display=list

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Those photos taken at DuPont were really fun. I love the security equipment they used.  ;D
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
Such a cool find. All I ever seem to come across are awkward-looking family group poses on their summer holidays, sheltering on a wind-blown UK beach.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
Finding cool negatives is a bit like winning a lottery.
Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and a few times it's awkward... Like that strip of film Ed found on the edge of a sidewalk while coming out of Tesco years ago  ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
It's been so long since I got these negatives that I can't remember exactly where they came from.  I think they were in the same batch that the photo below was in.  I think the negatives were in a bunch of old metal film canisters, the colorful ones that Kodak film came in.  Maybe he was a photographer for the army and later became a professional photographer.  I scanned the photo below in 2014 then shoved the film into a box and forgot about it for 6 years.  I have one more roll from that batch that I need to scan, looks like baby pictures.  I may have some other stuff to scan as well.

Photography by Elwin D. Scheyer by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »
Elwin D. Scheyer was probably not the photographer in the WWII photos.  According to the US Census he was 10 years old in 1940, too young to have been in WWII.  He would have only been 15 when the war ended, just barely too young to join. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 11:22:21 PM »
These are the last from that batch of film.  It's more Plus-X dated 1952.  There were a lot of bad shots on this roll plus almost half the roll was blank.  Many shots were either out of focus or double exposures.  This is Christmas in the early 1950's.  I was able to identify a few toys in these photos that date to the same time period. 

1950's Christmas by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

First Christmas 1950's by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Decorate the Baby by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Some of the toys I identified.  The boxes with names and numbers on them helped.

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/400-499/444-puffyengine.html

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/100-199/131-toywagon.html

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/l_fp_set/toy-pages/700-799/799-quackyfamily.html

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
That must have been a pretty rich family with all those gifts under the tree.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »
I found a few more rolls.  This is from another roll of the same Nitrate film I posted before.  It looks like the same trip to Hawaii around 1950.  This roll was pretty scratched, I didn't get all the scratches fixed.  I went up in the Aloha Tower when I was in Hawaii recently, it's neat to see the same views from 70 years earlier.  I also went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation when I was there, it's a total tourist trap now but the Pineapple Ice Cream is delicious. 

Aloha Tower by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Ship coming into Honolulu by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Honolulu Harbor by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Picking a Pineapple by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:32 PM »
I think the guy with the Pineapple could be Elwin D. Scheyer, sure looks like him and I think this was from the same batch of film.

Photography by Elwin D. Scheyer by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 11:26:36 PM »
This is a roll of Panatomic-X that has a date code of either 1946 or 1966.  The Kodak date codes repeat every 20 years.  I'm thinking it's 1966, I wouldn't think a studio photographer would use a 35mm camera in 1946 but I could be wrong about that. 

The studio light got in this shot.
Portrait with Studio Light by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Young Lady by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The look on his face is priceless.
Wife and Husband by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 11:28:13 PM »
Smoking Pose
Smoking Pose by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Father and Son by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Young Lady with Two Men by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I think that's all of them for now but you never know. 

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 12:13:07 AM »
Those are really interesting stuff Bryan, I think those shots from either 1946 or 1966 could be either based on the way people are dressed! The Scheyer sign board is interesting too, something about it looks like a model rather than a real sign, but that just may be narrow depth of field or maybe the way the text is written?
The Hawaii stuff is cool too.

Isn't Nitrate film the stuff that can spontaneously combust?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 02:54:38 AM »
Those are really interesting stuff Bryan, I think those shots from either 1946 or 1966 could be either based on the way people are dressed! The Scheyer sign board is interesting too, something about it looks like a model rather than a real sign, but that just may be narrow depth of field or maybe the way the text is written?

Isn't Nitrate film the stuff that can spontaneously combust?

I think you're right about the sign, it does look like a model.  Looks like he set it up in the lawn.  It was shot on 35mm film so that depth of field would be hard to achieve.  The wood is very rough cut for normal size lumber. 

Nitrate can spontaneously combust if it's deteriorating, this stuff is still in good condition.  I did clip a small piece off to see how it burns, it's not explosively fast but it does burn quite well.  I'm contemplating how to store it, I had one roll sealed in a film can before I realized it was nitrate, it should be in something that allows it to breathe.  It deteriorates similar to cellulose film that gets vinegar syndrome when it's sealed in an air tight container.  The other roll was in a cardboard film can that breathes better, I will probably put them both in those and label them as Nitrate. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »

I think you're right about the sign, it does look like a model.  Looks like he set it up in the lawn.  It was shot on 35mm film so that depth of field would be hard to achieve.  The wood is very rough cut for normal size lumber. 

It does look like a model! Like a business card framed in toothpicks ;D Hey! I now have an idea.... ;)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
It does look like a model! Like a business card framed in toothpicks ;D Hey! I now have an idea.... ;)

Can't wait to see the Indofunk Billboard!

I just found 4 more rolls of film that I didn't know I had!  It seems like every time I go looking for something else a roll of film turns up.  I found the last two rolls looking for a camera that I wanted to make new bellows for.  Clearly I have more stuff than I can keep track of.  I'm pretty sure I acquired most of these before I had a good way to scan them so they just got shoved into a box or an old film can.  Looks like I have more scanning and editing to do.  The new batch includes a roll of 127 film.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2020, 03:56:31 AM »
Another roll done.  This was Kodak Super XX from around 1950.  Looks like the same trip to Hawaii with Elwin D. Scheyer.  Looks like he has an Exakta and a Crown Graphic, can't tell what the other camera is sitting on the table.  Possibly another camera in a case as well.  These were all shot on the Big Island of hawaii.  This is at the Volcano House Hotel on the rim of the Kilauea crater. 

Volcano House Hotel Guest with Cameras by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Volcano House Hotel by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Uwekahuna lookout, Kilauea Crater by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Fumarole by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:06 AM »
Some more from the same roll.

Hiking in the Jungle by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Boys at the Beach by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Swimming in the Stream by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Hawaii Tour Buses by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Volcano house hotel?
For some odd reason I'm now singing Volcano by the B52's
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
It's been so long since I got these negatives that I can't remember exactly where they came from.  I think they were in the same batch that the photo below was in.  I think the negatives were in a bunch of old metal film canisters, the colorful ones that Kodak film came in.  Maybe he was a photographer for the army and later became a professional photographer.

Interestingly, the Scheyers were virtual neighbors of yours, in Bothell.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:58 PM »
It's been so long since I got these negatives that I can't remember exactly where they came from.  I think they were in the same batch that the photo below was in.  I think the negatives were in a bunch of old metal film canisters, the colorful ones that Kodak film came in.  Maybe he was a photographer for the army and later became a professional photographer.

Interestingly, the Scheyers were virtual neighbors of yours, in Bothell.

I saw that, it turns out Rev. Elwin H. Scheyer, his father, was a director in the Bothell school district.  He passed away in 1967 and is buried in a cemetery nearby.  I drive past that cemetery every time I go into Seattle.  I think I got these negatives from an estate sale a few towns away from here.  Elwin D. Scheyer lived in Seattle and a few other locations in the area.  He was also a member of the local Mountaineers Club in the early 1950's. 

Elwin H. Scheyer is mentioned in this court record.
https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/4219434/state-ex-rel-gebhardt-v-superior-court/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
This is from a roll of DU Pont 2874 Safety Film.  I'm not sure what the date of the film is but the photos look like they were taken in the 1970's.  I based that on the fashion (Pacific Northwest fashion) and cars in some other photos not shown.  They were probably all shot in Washington, that's where the North Head Lighthouse is located, just north of Cape Disappointment.

North Head Lighthouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Boys Pitching a Tent by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Clown Float by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
just north of Cape Disappointment.

What a name... I guess the people who named it were massively underwhelmed by their discovery :)
And just imagine the person who's the disappointment of Cape Disappointment... disappointing isn't it  ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
just north of Cape Disappointment.

What a name... I guess the people who named it were massively underwhelmed by their discovery :)
And just imagine the person who's the disappointment of Cape Disappointment... disappointing isn't it  ;D

Don't forget Deception Bay and Dismal Nitch, all in the same area.  It's actually a very beautiful area to visit.  The name has to do with the first person to discover it thinking it was a bay, a Canadian fur trader.  He couldn't get the ship in due to a shallow shoal and missed out on discovering that it was actually the mouth of the Columbia River. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 06:55:55 PM »
These are from another roll of Kodak Plus X that has a 1940 date code.  The appliances look about right for the 1940's.  The whole roll was baby pictures, most were out of focus or poorly exposed.

Mother with Bayby in Kitchen by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Baby by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr