Author Topic: Kodak Portra 400BW CN in Black and White Chems?  (Read 5098 times)

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
Kodak Portra 400BW CN in Black and White Chems?
« on: December 29, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
I found a great deal on a lot of Portra Black and White medium format film only to get it home and sadly realize it was process c-41...

So, anyone tired processing this stuff in B/W chems? If so what would you recommend as far as soup and time combo? I'd hate to have to pay someone to process my black and white film, though I have heard good things about the film so I do want to give it a try.

Thanks in advance.

-Jason

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Kodak Portra 400BW CN in Black and White Chems?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »
I've processed XP1 (predecessor to XP2) in B&W chemicals but only when I was desperate. It worked but the results were not as good. Too long ago to remember details though.

I guess you could process the Portra the same but you won't get the benefits of the film if you do so you'll never know how good it really is. I suggest you send it away to get it done.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »
Ugh, thanks. I think I'd rather just use a different film and find a new home for the Portra than send it off to be processed.

-Jason

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:47:13 PM »
What have you got against getting it done commercially?

I use XP2 all the time and get it done at a lab (or if I'm in a hurry, the local 1 hour shop). There's a risk of damage/loss I guess and, of course, it costs more. But I like XP2 enough to put up with that.

Try a roll or two, you might be converted.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

sausage100uk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.0 its not portra but it was Kodak 100 colour film....
God created Paramedics so Firemen could have heroes...

Wally

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »
you can develop it quite easily with Diafine just treat it like it were Tri-X.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
@ Wally- What are the results like? Not overly grainy? What about film speed, since Diafine usually adds a stop or two... thanks for the info

@sausage100uk- those results look pretty good. I guess I'll just have to run a roll or two of nothing special through and see how they turn out.

-Jason

Wally

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 08:10:36 PM »
@ Wally- What are the results like? Not overly grainy? What about film speed, since Diafine usually adds a stop or two... thanks for the info

No the grain is comparable with that of Tri-X. Tt is there, but not huge or anything. As far as speed boost goes I have found that with C41 films in Diafine you really do not get much if any. If you do it is very hard to tell anyway since C41 film has such great latitude. I used to develop all kinds of C41 both color and B&W in Diafine as B&W. There used to be a drug store around here that would sell close to expired stuff for dirt cheap that I would snap up. I never really cared what brand I would just use it. Sadly they do not really stock a lot of film anymore and I am not sure what they do with the expired stuff anymore.

With C41 film in Diafine it will turn out a bit flatter with less contrast than regular B&W film but it scans very well and you can always add contrast with photoshop but never take it away. I tried to wet print it once in the darkroom but it did not work very well, however if you are going to scan it works very nicely.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10:07 PM »
Thanks, sounds good. These would be primarily for scans. I'll give it a try then.

-Jason

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
Finally got a chance to try this out today... ran a roll through the Pentax just to test the waters. Pleased to say, things turned out surprisingly well! The negatives looked a pretty nasty orangeish hue on first glance, but scanned just wonderfully. Grain is there, but I found it to be quite pleasant. Things were a bit on the contrasty side, though certainly tolerable. All in all a great trial run...

Kodak Portra BW400CN Presoaked before development, Processed in D-76 Stock @ 14min.

-Jason

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:10:03 AM by seekingfocus »