Author Topic: Long Live Film  (Read 4974 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Long Live Film
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
It's finally out!

Long Live Film
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

Re: Long Live Film
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
Brilliant!  Thanks for posting that.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
so inspiring and depressing at the same time. I wish I could get scans that good from my V700. Dropping huge sums of money on drum scans just aren't economical.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
Thankyou for posting,that was great to watch

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
so inspiring and depressing at the same time. I wish I could get scans that good from my V700. Dropping huge sums of money on drum scans just aren't economical.

You might want to check http://plustek.com/ or https://reflecta.de/en
They make some pretty yummy looking scanners
Francois

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
So... beautiful.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
I wonder when that was produced. They noted that Hasselblad still made high end film cameras but they have announced that the film cameras are discontinued. Nice to see young people still using film. I was a little sad they didn't talk to any of us old guys, were not dead yet. 

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »

Not to go further OT but. I use a V700. Which is usually great. But I use silverfast which is hit and miss with color. Plustek scanners look to include silverfast as well! So results would likely be very similar.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:26 PM »

Not to go further OT but. I use a V700. Which is usually great. But I use silverfast which is hit and miss with color. Plustek scanners look to include silverfast as well! So results would likely be very similar.
Color wise, I really don't know. But sharpness wise, a dedicated film scanner really makes all the difference.

I wonder when that was produced. They noted that Hasselblad still made high end film cameras but they have announced that the film cameras are discontinued. Nice to see young people still using film. I was a little sad they didn't talk to any of us old guys, were not dead yet. 
This documentary has been in production for well over a year now. So the parts are mostly produced before the news came out.
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:23:24 AM »
I was hoping for someone to say 'it's more fun'.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
This is a great little documentary, but I find it terribly irritating, and I'll tell you why.

The overwhelming sentiment in this little video is that "it makes me shoot different." Well, no it really doesn't make you shoot different, it just makes you shoot the way you are SUPPOSED to shoot. (and 'you' is meant generally speaking) You are supposed to think about your exposure triangle, you are supposed to think about your composition, you are supposed to connect with your subject matter, you are supposed to meter and light and perfect.

Don't get  me wrong, I'm glad sales of film have steadily increased since 2009, and there are more and more people getting on board, but film isn't this magical carpet ride that instantly makes someone 'cool' and 'trendy' and a 'better photographer'. What makes you cool, trendy, and a better photographer is learning the craft, no matter which format you are shooting (i.e. digital or analog.)

Am I wrong or looking at this from the wrong perspective? I just hate seeing analog photography delivered as a 'trend'.

Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
Quite true. Film won't make you take less crappy pictures, just fewer of them.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Long Live Film
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
I agree also.

The idea I think was to sensationalize film today. It sort of did that. I didn't really like the lack of story, climax or conclusion. I actually had to watch this over two nights because I was just getting bored of hearing the exact same thing. It really felt like it was leading up to something but the video just dropped off and the overall tone was "it makes you shoot different".

I also find this video misleading in a way. I sort of mentioned it earlier about the quality of the images they present. They are outstanding. And not everyone out there is going to pick up a camera and get that kind of quality right off the bat. It would have been nice to have gone through a couple photographers process or have a behind the scenes at the indie film lab.

I like the idea of the video, but theres a lot of really basic points they missed that could have easily made the video better for all viewers, film and digital.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
What needs remembering the ultimate motive behind production of this film.

I concur wholeheartedly with Cristopher Coy's, Francois' and TinTin's comments but this is about promoting film use. To that end, it's trying to sway any marginal digital users to come and have a go at shooting film.  Using the allure of "it's cool" is probably the best option as I suspect the majority of those capable of being swayed are young and probably have no history when it comes to using film.

If I had a gripe, it would be that all the photographers were, relatively speaking, young(ish) trendy types. I'm not remotely surprised (see comments above). 

One of the most telling comments made in the whole film was something along the lines of "Just think. Your grandma used to do it. How difficult can it be?"  Aside from that comment being sexist and ageist (and believe me, I am the LAST person to cry political correctness) it's also misleading.  Learning how to work the aperture-shutter speed-ISO triangle, compose, focus, load/unload and, perhaps, process your own films and prints requires dedication and not a little dexterity. 

Conversely, using a DSLR as a high-spec, virtually idiot-proof point and shoot and then mastering the basics of running the images through a software programme  like Lightroom which provides preset shortcuts to trendy effects can be learned in an afternoon.  I know 'cos I did it when I tried digital 10 years ago.

I love film and hope that the video (above) pulls through an increasing number of new and returning film users.  I'm chuffed to bits that Kodak and Lomo are joining forces to push on with film production.  However, let's be honest; whilst film can be fun it is not going to turn everyone into David Bailey, Sebastiao Salgado or Steve McCurry. Well, not instantly....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
Let's not forget that this video was made by the Indie Film Lab so naturally they are promoting film as much as possible.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
I agree with Christopher and TinTin. I found it to be rather repetitive, the same rather inane comments being uttered again and again. No denying that most of the pictures were very good, some brilliant even, no lack of talent then. I commend the idea, and to a certain degree the effort. But I got bored halfway through, and when it came to an end, I found that it could have been cut anywhere in the last 30 minutes and I would - like - not have missed it. like.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
I liked the overall message, but after 15 minutes I became a bit bored hearing the same thing over and over, and I watched in three sittings without actually getting to the end. It doesn't sound like the last 8 minutes or so are saying anything else so I probably won't bother. More power to them though.

The first chap was a lucky fellow having a Hasselblad 500cm as his first camera.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
But on the up side, it finally got my mom to get off my back and stop asking that I turn all digi because it's easier and cheaper.
Francois

johnha

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »
It is good to see film being promoted, but like others I found it repetitive and overly 'trendy'. I got the impression it was aimed at portrait/wedding photographers more than anything else.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
I got the impression it was aimed at portrait/wedding photographers more than anything else.

That too.

As I said, I'm glad film sales are increasing, and I thank Indie Film Lab whole heartedly for promoting film usage - I just wish that it was all encompassing.

They didn't even mention paper, safelights, or FIXER!
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
I was in Harrison Cameras Sheffield the other day and was told that they are selling quite a bit more film than they have for a long while

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
Do I need to grow a beard to watch this? Or use film?

But great to see so many of the people are young - it's not only old men like me wandering around the world looking vaguely confused holding a lump of metal that looks to many as though it belongs in either a shed or a bin.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
The target audience seems to be more for folks who have never used film, or used it a bit and has moved onto digital photography. with little talk about home development because its sponsored by a film lab...
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »
I thought it was a good watch. I was surprised how many of the interviewees didn't learn on film at first; that was my introduction, back when that's just what photography meant (I'm 29, about as old as the average age in the film I'm guessing). I got a little frustrated with some of the vagueness of why they shoot film, etc., but that's to be expected. If you stuck a camera in my face & asked me the same questions I'd probably prattle on in lofty terms that nearly mean nothing also!

Still, I enjoyed the film & it filled me with hope about the future of film (especially after the 3000b news).