Author Topic: iTunes Users Hear This  (Read 4203 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
iTunes Users Hear This
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »
This arrived in the Filmwasters mailbox from those Apple people 2 days ago:

"Dear Podcast Owner

Your podcast, located at [ http://filmwasters.com/podcast/feed ], has been approved. You should expect to see it in iTunes within the next few hours. When it's available, you will be able to access it with the URL below.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=301726034

Your podcast will be searchable within the iTunes Store in approximately 1-2 days."

So I went and checked and we're finally there in iTunes. Only the one episode (and I need to get the title changed slightly), but good news all round. Will get a badge or some sort and add it to the podcast page at our end.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:08:59 AM by ed.wenn »

mikeg

Re: iTunes Users Hear This
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »
Hello,

I've tried downloading them 6 or 7 times now and all the episodes bomb out towards the end of downloading with a 9006 error. I'm using Win Xp and  iTunes 8.02.20. Other podcasts are fine.

Can anyone else download them?

Mike

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
I got mine last friday using the direct link and it went A-OK
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
Hello,

I've tried downloading them 6 or 7 times now and all the episodes bomb out towards the end of downloading with a 9006 error. I'm using Win Xp and  iTunes 8.02.20. Other podcasts are fine.

Can anyone else download them?

Mike

Gah!!! This is really irritating. Despite appearances, a lot of work goes into these things and it's super frustrating to hear that a lot of people are having a lot of problems downloading entire episodes. I'm going to report this with our hosts, Bluehost (as I said I would a week ago...I know, I'm slack, sorry) as I'm now not convinced it's anything to do with the Wordpress plugin we use and may therefore be something going on on the servers.

For those wanting to try the direct link again please go to http://filmwasters.com/podcast/data/ and download episodes manually from there. It works for some, but not for all; seems to have a higher success rate than via the embedded links on the podcasts themselves though. Will keep you all updated as things progress.

Keep the feedback coming in regarding download failures & successes. All useful stuff for when I talk to Bluehost.

otto k

• ottok photography
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »
very cool.  downloaded a couple earlier today with no problem and subscribed to the channel.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »
Good to get some positive news. Am in the middle of trying a couple of downloads myself, to see if things are working better now.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »
OK, so my iTunes download worked fine and I just checked my email to find the following from Bluehost:

Thank you for contacting Bluehost support. I have been trying to reproduce the issue that your visitors are having, and to be honest I have been able to download each file that I have tried. I know that this is somewhat of a hassle; but could you try to get a couple of the people that are unable to download your podcast to send you, and then you send it to us, a trace route.

Windows Environment:

Traceroute can be accessed at a DOS or command prompt. An Internet connection must already be established.

1.  Click on Start Programs DOS Prompt (Windows 95-98) or Command Prompt (NT). In a Windows 2000 or XP environment, click on Start Run. Type "command" into the dialog box, then click OK.
  2.  In the resulting command line window, type "tracert hostname c:trace.txt", where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address.
  3.  Press Enter. 

For example:  C:tracert c:bluehost.com

Mac OS X Environment

1.  Double-click the Hard Drive icon >Applications folder >Utilities folder >Network Utility program.
  2.  Select the Traceroute tab and enter the hostname, where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address.
  3.  Press Enter. When done, select all of the results and then copy it (Edit: Copy, or command + c)

Novell Environment

1.  At the System Console screen, type "load iptrace hostname", where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address.
  2.  Press Enter.

Linux/UNIX Environment

1. Launch a command line interface (will vary depending on the operating system distribution).
  2.  In the resulting command line window or screen, type "traceroute hostname", where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address.
  3. Press Enter.

For example:  [sygny@linuxbox /home]# traceroute novell.com

Reply to this message and either attach or paste the contents of "trace.txt"

Sooooooooooo, if any of you has further problems with downloading the podcast - and you have time to run a trace route then it would be cool if you could do as specified above and email me or PM me the results. Thanks.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:44:40 AM »
You guys are just to high-tech for me. I am sticking to my gams...er, guns.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
Awesome!!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
For those who run Windoze XP this is the simple way to do this:
Click on start - run
Type CMD
you will get a terminal window (big black box)
type tracert www.filmwasters.com
hit enter.
Once the process is over, move the elevator bar to the start of the process output, hit the right mouse button and select MARK.
Left click the start of the traceroute and drag to the bottom while holding the left mouse button. When it is all selected, hit the right mouse button and it will be all copied to the clipboard.
Francois

mikeg

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Just done some testing.

I can download all the podcasts fine if I'm accessing them directly from the website.

However, if I'm downloading them using iTunes, then I can only download episodes 1,2,3,4,7 & 8. Episodes 5, 6 and 9 all fail with an iTunes error 9006. Now what is interesting is that the 3 failing episodes are all over 1 hour long where as the successful ones are all under 1 hour. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but perhaps iTunes can't handle podcasts greater than an hour? I bet if you break up episode 9 into 2 parts it'll download OK via iTunes.

Cheers

Mike

mikeg

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
Typical! As soon as I report that I can't download something it goes and works the next time! The latest episode downloaded via iTunes at about the 20th attempt.

Cheers

Mike

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »
Hey Mike, many thanks for taking the time to supply all this feedback. So far Bluehost have been unable to come up with a reason why this may be happening other than to suggest that individual Filmwasters may be having issues with their ISPs. Personally I think that's a red herring, but we'll see. Anyway, I'm glad you got hold of the most recent podcast....and more importantly, I hope you enjoyed listening to it.
 :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:16:12 PM »
I think it's more likely to be related to a routing problem than a server problem... As when I checked from 2 places, one that should work as I get a clear path to the server and the other that times out and jams somewhere between my wi-fi hotspot and the bluehost server when I use the link that uses php...
Francois