Author Topic: Wanderlust 4x5 Camera? anyone?  (Read 6877 times)

6cmsquare

Wanderlust 4x5 Camera? anyone?
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:07 AM »
Does anyone know anyone who got in on the kickstarter and got a camera? I'm curious of what they thought if they did?
Thank you!

here's their website https://wanderlustcameras.com  and their youtube : http://youtu.be/j4frfthUdgQ
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

FrankE

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 Camera? anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:04:31 AM »
I'm in on the kick-starter Wanderlust program. They haven't delivered any cameras yet as a result of a variety of manufacturing delays. I am patient. It should be a great product once it is delivered, literally a 4x5 point and shoot. I have other 4x5's to keep my busy while I wait of this delivery. One thing I am really looking forward to is the "pinhole capability". It will deliver with a pin hole lens. That will be my first pinhole camera.

6cmsquare

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »
I wonder how hard it will be to get it to accept a polaroid 545 back.... for when the New 55 comes out? -that back clip looks a little too flimsy.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

FrankE

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:02:26 AM »
I read somewhere that it will not accept the 545 back however it will accept the 545i back which apparently has a slightly different configuration. And yes I am also in the New 55 kick-starter program.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:12:04 AM »
I'm in too. But patience is wearing very thin.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
If you get fed up waiting, just make your own.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

Sadly we're not all as talented as you Sandeha  ;)

I too was in at the beginning but it's been soooo long now that I've almost forgotten I put my name down for one! One day perhaps... one day...

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm a backer. It is now 15 months from the projected delivery date with no end in sight. These two lads from Chicago just got in over their heads and grossly underestimated the difficulties they would encounter and the mounting expense (now out of their pockets) to complete the project. They are kind of stuck, too far along to quit, but no solution, as of yet, to the last problem. If....yes if, they can resolve the helical problem in the next few months then perhaps the camera will ship before the end of 2015.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
I just hope for you that it won't be like that other kick starter for a high speed wireless flash trigger that went belly up.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

Maybe we both are precognitive, I too made one myself a few years back. A bit heavier maybe, but more versatile.

DIY 4x5/6x12 P+S version 0.4 front by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

6cmsquare

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Nice builds! -that's pretty inspiring, I'm quite handy, but maybe no confident enough in my camera lens technical knowledge to just jump into a 4 X 5 build.  What is a good place to look into the lens specifications for a 4 x 5?
-Hunter S. Thompson

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
I used this. It is especially useful to have an idea of the flange back distance of a lens. Focal length does not equal flange back distance, in fact it varies quite a lot for the different lenses.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »
The focal length is the same as the infinity focus length only for primitive lenses. As soon as you factor in a tele or wide angle formula, this all gets thrown to the wind.
Francois

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
I'd buy one.  Let's hope they get themselves sorted out.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
I'd buy one.  Let's hope they get themselves sorted out.

They intend to produce the camera for sale after they get things sorted. The "90" with the helical was pre-sold  for $149 outside of KS backers needs (they have contracted for 300 more cameras than needed to fill backer obligations). Ben has said that they need to run the cameras in batches of not less than 500 units at a time to amortize the set up cost per batch. I have a notion they will not run more batches unless they have firm orders with at least a deposit on each piece. I really hope they can complete this project. They have more ideas in the pipeline but I think the long delay has just about ruined their ever using the KS platform again. They could just do direct appeal on their website. There are plenty of current backers who are still loyal and I think they are honest lads who just got in over their heads.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
I juste hope that they dix their microeconomics classes and still remember the marginal cost theories.
Francois

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine too. At least they keep sending out updates--I actually feel bad for them. They clearly wanted to have these ready to ship a long time ago.

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 05:25:28 PM »
Kickstarter is not for everyone or every project. For all the good ones, a dozen are total crapfests of delays and broken promises.

And even the ones tailor made for such a type of funding, can still fall short because the twinkle in the eye and the spark of someone's description can make a person/company seem more capable than they truly are. Some people just don't foresee the problems or imagine it cant happen to them. I wish those who made KS campaigns had more openness sometimes and not having to come to a random forum, like this one, to get answers about a campaign someone gave money to.

Ill just say, again, that this is the reason people are genuinely surprised, shocked, but happy that I reply to my website's emails within 1 day and usually within hours or less.

Its like people who want to "run a business" forget customer service IS your business.

Helping to keep Instant Photography alive, one camera, one user, one shot at a time.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »
Its like people who want to "run a business" forget customer service IS your business.
Quite true. And its surprising how many dirty looks I get when I tell people in an interview that the receptionist is the real boss of the communications department!
So many don't get it.

And my dad lost his job twice because he was pleasant and helpful with the customers. His boss didn't get that if your customer spends 100$ more than he planned because he liked your suggestions, that's a whole 100$ more in the bank at the end of the day.
Francois