Author Topic: 3 for honest critique  (Read 4955 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
3 for honest critique
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »
I thought I'd offer up 3 recent pics for critique by my fellow Filmwasters.  None of these are in their finished states.  I'm not looking for the typical internet critique shite (your shadows are too dark/ try to observe the rule of thirds/perhps try a red filter next time etc etc) more gut reactions and emotional responses.  Do your worst fellow FWs.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Re: 3 for honest critique
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
Gut responses...
1  Dull
2  Brill
3  A bit of a cliche, need something foreground-y.  Maybe some moving tide-in water?

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »
I agree the 3rd has been done to death and is too busy. The first would fit well as part of a series of images and I don't think it dull - it is just not an individual stand alone image, but I feel would work in a series. The second works well too - I'd just get rid of the light bit on the rock on the very left side of the frame towards the bottom! Just my thoughts as always - what is more important is what you feel!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:22:33 PM by CarlRadford »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »
1. Made me think immediately of Bernd and Hilla Becher. I like it except for the tiny bit of background showing on the left which is distracting. But as Carl says, and in keeping with the Bechers, it might work better as one of a series.

2. You really should ignore the rule of thirds....  :)  Actually sorta serious with this as I always think isolated objects look more isolated if put in the middle of the image.

3. Too much detail for a small print on a screen but looks like it would work as a larger real paper print.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:14:11 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
Number two is very strong I think...  The first does not hit me emotionally at all.  The third one is kind of meh.  There is something intellectual in the third I guess but I don't feel anything.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »
great stuff guys - thanks.  Keep em coming.  We should do this more.
L.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
i actually enjoy the complexity and symmetry of the third shot, draws the eye in and then i see all the parts. the second is okay but 'another landscape'. nice but predictable. first i like the ship-like quality but it is a bit forgettable.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
The second one is great.  Wow.

The other two... meh

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »
Interesting choice of 3 images, and the sequencing of them is also quite interesting. I see all three linked by a common element - quasi-symmetry around the mid-vertical. It's most obvious in the first and third images, but even in the middle image there's an inlet that runs almost to the horizon line, to the right of the house, that just about divides the image in the middle (vertical). What makes all three strong images for me is how much each differs from true vertical symmetry. In the first image, there's just a bit of background peeking out on the left hand side. In the third image, the patterns of kelp clinging to the struts differs on each side. And the middle image is the least symmetrical, but still there's a hint of symmetry with repetition of the rocky coastline on each side of the vertical middle, and the continuation of the horizon line.

I guess I found lots to see and think about in these images.

Paul

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
#2 is absolutely dee-lish.  I love the clouds have carved out paths to mimic the curves of the waterways below!  WELL done! :o

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
2 - ab fab.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 02:03:28 AM »
# 2 has my vote..the tones, the symetry...I like the others also..but there is something so calming and beautiful about this one..

Roger Thoms

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 03:16:58 AM »
The first one definitely caught my attention, I like the tones and texture on the wall. I do find the bit of background on the left side of the image distracting. The image is very "in your face" which I like.  The second one got a big ooh!! That was an immediate gut reaction, probably said it out loud.  The light is beautiful, hard to beat the loan house off in the distance, foreground is interesting, and the tones in the clouds are very pleasing. Third one is ok, don't like the algae or whatever it is hanging of the diagonal braces, it's messy.  I also have mixed feeling about the pole dead center, find it a little annoying.
-Roger
formerly rtbadman

tijeras

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
1. bland
2. as Goldilocks would say  "this one is just right"
3. messy

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
Och wun an three ar nae ma cup o' tee, but a think numer three is braw, an ther looks like a lot can cum ootta rat sky  :)    8)   8)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
Disclosure- I'm not a fan of forced symmetry.
In my own photography it's something I fall back on when the elements in the shot don't seem to be coming together. And about the best thing symmetry can do is highlight a jarringly non-symmetrical element somewhere. Unfortunately the random dags of seaweed on the pier in #3 aren't interesting enough to have pointed out to me. 

Having said all that, #1 is a bit of a sleeper. There is a lot of interest in the shot if you persevere with it, and small low res pics on-screen doesn't encourage that sort of lingering gaze. There is plenty for me to enjoy in the shifting perspective of the blocks, the subtle shadow details in the stained wall and the massive looming presence of the thing which is well enhanced by the severe cropping. I just reckon a strongly  asymmetric viewpoint could have been even stronger...

EDIT- ..stronger... or not.  It's still growing on me just the way it is. (And I echo the 'Becher' comment of Peter's)

#2 is potentially a lovely shot. I like the mood of the weather. I like the ribbon of water that leads you past the building and into the midst of the image.  I can see you've printed the clouds into play, which is good, but  I still don't think the top half is working hard enough. Maybe re-shoot with the tall tripod, ladder and a wide lens? You could push the horizon up much higher and open up the fingers of rock so that they really push forward out of the shot towards us. At the moment it feels a bit rule-of-thirds-predictable.

Nice work Leon. You set a high standard here, and while I can always make with a glib comment about improvements ( Oh Leon- next time you really must remember to build a 5 metre scaffold to shoot from,  drain the bay  and replace it with sparkling Periere water, and repaint the cottage before you shoot)   ;) but you know these are already top shelf pics.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:57:34 AM by db »

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »
I am officially nominating Leon as Head Stickler. Leave it alone, Sean.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
I have been her for 5 mins. Is that long enough to make comment or should STFU and continue to learn for now  ;)

cheers
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 10:26:15 AM »
thanks everyone for taking some time to think about these.  It's nice that your comments aren't the typical crass standard of photo critique on the web.  I'll take it in, mull it over and probably ignore the lot of you  :D ;) ;D :D

Ken - fire away mate.  I'd be happy to hear your opinion.
L.

MarkBurley

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »
1 ok - not pleasing me hugely...

2 like lots - happily look at it on the wall...

3 nice image - but you have better...

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
Just saw this. Don't know if it is ongoing.  If so:

#1 Like
#2 Like a lot
#3 Eh.

If not, I still really like the second one.  Stark, serene, beautiful.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
I'm revising my comments on these:

1) amazing
2) amazingly awesome WOW!
3) awesome

oh wait....wrong thread! (http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2264.0)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
I'm revising my comments on these:

1) amazing
2) amazingly awesome WOW!
3) awesome

oh wait....wrong thread! (http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2264.0)

OK, this did have me chuckling out loud. Thanks for that, Paul!

;D ;D ;D

Thomassauerwein

• 35mm
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 03:25:19 AM »
# 2 I love!
 # 3 needs an orange fiter

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »
1. I think this might be nice[r] as a paper neg print - mess up the sky a bit too and you have something
2. Would love this on the wall.
3. Better if it was taken wif vasaline on the lens perhaps :-)

Brilliant all the same