Author Topic: Calling All Statue Lovers  (Read 5217 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Calling All Statue Lovers
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
Hi everyone, I heard from a friend of mine who's also an online hobbyist photographer who uses the Interweb a lot that this forum was a great place to post photos of statues taken with digital cameras.

Here are two that I'm really excited about and I couldn't wait to share them with like-minded people. I took them at the weekend and I'd value your feedback regarding areas for improvement because I'm always looking to 'up' my game. I'd also like you to tell me how great they are; no need for a considered critique, just a type a couple of positive words and I'll be happy. If your comments are encouraging enough I may even buy myself a camera (these were taken using my phone which has a digital pixel camera and a lens on it). Neither photo is aligned exactly with the horizon because it was a very sunny day and I couldn't see what I was pointing my phone at. Also, it turns out that I left the house that morning wearing a flip-flop on one foot and a James T Kirk cuban-heeled space boot on the other. I took both photos while I was walking. Isn't that the great thing about taking photos with your phone...you don't have to think about the shot, take time to compose it properly or even stop walking. Oh yeah, I had a great time and I'm already looking forward to next weekend because I'm going to walk past a garden full of replica dinosaurs and take some more amazing shots of them.

Anyway, don't forget to tell me how great you think these are and I'll do the same when I see your shots. It's wonderful to be part of such a supportive community. Thanks!

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Re: Calling All Statue Lovers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »
A marked improvement in your work Ed  ;D

Sounds like dinosaur shaped flip-flops and StarTrek telephones are the way to go.  Hooray for www.filmwastedpixelmobilephoneshooters.com can't wait to join!  Will the podcasts be on vinyl?

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
You know, they really improved those phones since they went rotary  ;D

(Ok, that doesn't make much sense but still :) )
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
Ed - these are utter sh@t I'm afraid to tell you. The only way for us to take you at all seriously is for you to use a top-end slr like a niknon eos d5 mk 111.5 with a zoom lens. But nice subject tho. I like statues. Maybe next time you could try some gravestones too.
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
Your telephone appears to have more dynamic range than my Nikon D80!   >:(

tijeras

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
Hi everyone, I heard from a friend of mine who's also an online hobbyist photographer who uses the Interweb a lot that this forum was a great place to post photos of statues taken with digital cameras.

Here are two that I'm really excited about and I couldn't wait to share them with like-minded people. I took them at the weekend and I'd value your feedback regarding areas for improvement because I'm always looking to 'up' my game. I'd also like you to tell me how great they are; no need for a considered critique, just a type a couple of positive words and I'll be happy. If your comments are encouraging enough I may even buy myself a camera (these were taken using my phone which has a digital pixel camera and a lens on it). Neither photo is aligned exactly with the horizon because it was a very sunny day and I couldn't see what I was pointing my phone at.

I'm just plum confused about why "this" place is the forum for posting photos taken with digital cameras????

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Could Ed be on drugs?  ;D

I am. Did Beckster just call Ed out? Hahahaha....

Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
Great. Super. Wish I could do this. Think I need to master that HDR stuff first though - then maybe some tone mapping. Please come and tell me my photostream is great as well.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »
how awesome can a forum of digital shots of statues be?  I hope this includes garden statues too. And the graveyard idea too.  Fabulous.

Here's my iphone contribution, edited with the iphone app photogene: desaturated and cropped square   It's hip to be square, someone once told me...  I think it looks way better than a hassy shot....

I especially like how I don't need to use the delete button.  I can import them in to iphoto and they automatically come off the camera(phone) and automatically into my archive.  How cool is that.

Ed, I particularly like your artistic touch, with the horizon line way off.  Those are destined to be classics of contemporary photography. Well done.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:55:01 AM by gregor »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:20:23 AM »
I think we could be onto something with this forum idea; the content and theme are of secondary importance - although statues, dinosaurs & graveyards could keep us going for years. The main thing is that we all keep telling each other how amazing we are. Peter, I checked your photostream....it's fantastic. Wow!

Astro Beck (Tijeras): Sorry for the confusion. I was bored at work and didn't have anything sensible to say so I thought I'd make myself chuckle by posting something silly.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
Ed and gang you are all amazing! I will amazingly have to get one of those amazing iphones so I to can amazingly take amazing images to put on this amazing site. How amazingly cool is it to use the amazing software on the amazing iphone to amazingly take amazing images.

I do have an amazing question about the amazing images of the amazing statues taken with the amazing iphone - how many amazings are there in an awesome.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
I do have an amazing question about the amazing images of the amazing statues taken with the amazing iphone - how many amazings are there in an awesome.

There are 2.545 imperial "amazings" in an "awesome" and 4.545 "awesomes" in a "wow".  Making 11.567025 "amazings" in a "wow".  [In the early 20s the "wow" largely replaced the "blimey" for everyday use]

As always with these things there is a slightly different measure across the pond.  They don't seem to measure much in "amazings", preferring to round down their "aaawesomes" (note the slightly different spelling too) so they have 1.093 "aaawesomes" in a "far-out" (or for Canadians that's a "far-oot") and 9 "far-outs" in a "I so wish I'd taken that"

Hope this helps,

Prof Chopper McUnabridged

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »
Prof Chopper, I ponder the conversion of a "FREAKIN' AAWESOME DUDE!!" using you amazingly sophisticated equation

Is this true photography parlance or just an outsider trying to work their way in to be with Cool and the Gang.

yours sincerely

Amazingly concerned

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Is this true photography parlance or just an outsider trying to work their way in to be with Cool and the Gang.

I request you withdraw that statement and instead refer to the Big Boys' Book of Photography (ISBN 0688170420 [not for resale in New Zealand])

Ch 11, V 9 "Conversion factors - fun for all (without a slide-rule)"

It's the chapter between
"Making a public exposure - you, your rights and the law"
and
"101 things to do in a darkened room - under a safety light (with only your conscience for company)"

I-thankyou!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:26:49 AM by choppert »

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »

I request you withdraw that statement and instead refer to the Big Boys' Book of Photography (ISBN 0688170420 [not for resale in New Zealand])

Ch 11, V 9 "Conversion factors - fun for all (without a slide-rule)"

It's the chapter between
"Making a public exposure - you, your rights and the law"
and
"101 things to do in a darkened room - under a safety light (with only your conscience for company)"

I-thankyou!

Thats so amazing its awesome

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »
i think we have overlooked the most important point here.....you can see her boobs.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
i think we have overlooked the most important point here.....you can see her boobs.

I wanted to say that too but shyness took over me :)
Francois

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
Professor how many 'aaawesomes' are their in a 'blown away'? As in the common use I had a D80 then bought a D90 and was blown away by the increase in IQ.

I vote for more gravestones in pictures especially ones covered in lichen its a well known fact that if you take all the lichen in the world and all the people in the world and weighed them they would weigh about the same-if you can find scales big enough.

There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »
Wow, I just realized that the amount of awesome ways you can take and manipulate photos with the awesome iphone.  There's a way cool drawing app where you can draw on your photo and make textures so your photos look like toy camera shots or really super old cameras, like pre-1990 film cameras - wow is that old or what? 

I'm going to spend the day making textures we can all share to use here and on photo sharing sites. Maybe we'll get invited to groups or win awards.  How awesome would we be then?

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
pre-1990 film cameras

Pre-when?

What type of cameras?

Pah!

(This is all rather cathartic  ;D )
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:52:08 PM by choppert »

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:05 PM »
1990. you know old stuff. vintage cameras. hah.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
...or really super old cameras, like pre-1990 film cameras - wow is that old or what? 

Wait! They had cameras before the 1990's? No way! Were they awesome or just really cool? I'd love to see one if any of them still exist. Does anyone here have a picture of one? I only bought my really cool phone with a pixel camera lens on it last week and already there's a new version on the market which I'm going to buy, but, like next month...I'm not stupid. I can't believe that something from before the 1990's would still exist. Hang on, I just realised I asked a stupid question. I mean how could anyone take a photo of one of those old cameras if phones didn't have pixel lenses in them back then? Doh! Forget I asked....I guess I'll either have to find one in a museum or something.

I'm going to spend the day making textures we can all share to use here and on photo sharing sites. Maybe we'll get invited to groups or win awards.  How awesome would we be then?

Textures are the COOLEST things aren't they? Gregor, thanks in advance for taking the time to create some bespoke textures for us to use. Just a suggestion, but if you could create one with gravestones, statues and dinosaurs in it then we could take a photo of pretty much anything, apply the texture to it and make it look awesome. If you could do one with wavey light streaks arcing across the top 3rd of the texture that would be cool too because we could create solargraphs with them and save ourselves the 6 month wait.

While we're on the subject, one thing I've never understood about solargraphs...how do you keep your phone charged for that long when it's strapped to a tree or a telegraph pole? I guess you must have, like, some amazing top secret battery or something. Cool.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »
"While we're on the subject, one thing I've never understood about solargraphs...how do you keep your phone charged for that long when it's strapped to a tree or a telegraph pole? I guess you must have, like, some amazing top secret battery or something. Cool."

I think you just take any old picture and open your picture so you see it in the phone and let is sit out for a long time with an extension cord. I think the solargraph over your photo would be even better than a texture - a double exposure!  You can get really cool shots I bet.

Since you're getting a new phone camera. the old one will be vintage and won't be worth anything anyway so that's an awesome use of your old phone camera. Oh, wow, what did I say?  You get vintage, double exposure and phone camera shots.  Your way lucky. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:48:38 AM by gregor »

tijeras

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »

While we're on the subject, one thing I've never understood about solargraphs...how do you keep your phone charged for that long when it's strapped to a tree or a telegraph pole? I guess you must have, like, some amazing top secret battery or something. Cool.

Silly rabbit....
you get a solar panel for the phone. 

;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »
Wow!
This is the most incredible amount of awesomeness on this forum.

Thanks Ed for starting such a wonderful series of ego boosting messages. You're really a fantastic guy.

And all the Filmwasters are a wonderfully fantastic group.

(isn't that awesome?)

;D ;D ;D

As for powering the cell phone, all that is needed is a small hydro dam to power it year round 24/7  :)
Francois