Author Topic: Removing stuck polarizer - HELP!  (Read 830 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Removing stuck polarizer - HELP!
« on: July 23, 2023, 02:23:09 PM »
I'm stuck!
Or should I say a darn polarizer is stuck.

I just got this new Nikkor lens. It's a modern version that has an all plastic body.
The previous owner has torqued on it a polarizer. It's a nice Tiffen one.
Only problem, I've been trying to get it unstuck for two days and the darn thing won't budge.
I tried using kitchen gloves (marygolds), alcohol down the treads, oil down the treads, friction tools, a strap wrench, strap wrench with tape to keep the spinny part from turning... but nothing seems to work.

I removed the glass from the filter with my spanner in the hope of leaving the rest of the filter there, but it's annoying like heck as you now need two hands to put on a filter.

So I'm back at the this thing needs to come out part.

Thing is, this filter has a very thin grippy part, so I can't easily get anything to hold.

Any idea?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Removing stuck polarizer - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
Problem is the rotating front. Normally I would say use a piece of rubber flat on a table then press the lens down against it and rotate the lens. Otherwise a filter wrench is the best thing...

A strap wrench can work but depends on whether it can get a grip on the part that matters and sounds like yours isn't.

Only other suggestion is a modified pair of long nosed pliers with the ends turned in and cut a small notch (or drill a small hole) in the edge of the filter mount to engage into.

These have got me out of trouble on a number of occasions. You might need to curve the jaws as well to reach around the filter. A pair of curved callipers can also work. But you do need to create a hole or notch to grip into. Squeezing the pliers to get a grip just distorts the filter and makes it tighter.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:43:04 PM »
Thing is it's a pretty big lens, probably a 68mm filter....

Have you ever tried having somebody hold the front of the lens steady while you tap the edge of a filter with a screwdriver and a small hammer in order to get it rotating?
This lens is internal focus, so the front doesn't rotate.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 05:17:42 PM »
Do you have access to a bike tire inner tube, ideally a road bike tube? I've successfully used a strip of tube as a strap wrench for stuck jar lids and the like, about the same diameter as your lens.

I've also used the method you mention, lightly tapping a tweaker-size screwdriver with a small hammer. Tap gently, it doesn't/shouldn't take much impact to loosen the filter. Good luck!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 09:22:50 PM »
Well... I'm a bit lost for words here.
I tried the hammer and screwdriver trick using the corner of a screwdriver blade and it didn't even budge with some pretty good taps...
Now if that doesn't work, what will?
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 11:31:52 PM »
Yikes. I wonder if the previous owner had issues with the polarizer slipping and attempted to resolve the issue with Loctite or similar. The only other thing that comes to mind: if you have, or know someone who has, a decent quality bench vise, you can try putting the lens nose-down with the filter ring between the vise jaws, tighten gently, and then twist the lens barrel to unscrew it from the filter. Not for the faint of heart, but there might be just enough leverage that way to break the filter loose without damaging the lens barrel.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 10:11:03 AM »
Yikes. I wonder if the previous owner had issues with the polarizer slipping and attempted to resolve the issue with Loctite or similar. The only other thing that comes to mind: if you have, or know someone who has, a decent quality bench vise, you can try putting the lens nose-down with the filter ring between the vise jaws, tighten gently, and then twist the lens barrel to unscrew it from the filter. Not for the faint of heart, but there might be just enough leverage that way to break the filter loose without damaging the lens barrel.

The problem with that is squeezing the filter on two sides only distorts it and just makes it tighter. It needs to be gripped without distorting it or you'll never get it off.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »
Thing is it's a pretty big lens, probably a 68mm filter....

Then you just need bigger pliers. Curved callipers can be pretty big.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 10:19:35 AM »
If you are not trying to save the filter, then cut it off. Protect the front glass first. It's probably aluminium, a good pair of side cutters should cut it easily. Remove the rotating ring first then the other. Or you could just cut the rotating ring off then use my suggestion of a piece of rubber flat on a table, press the filter down on to it then rotate the lens. Or, with the rotating ring removed, cut two notches in the remaining ring and use your lens tool to remove it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 10:29:46 AM by Pete_R »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »
Well... I'm a bit lost for words here.
I tried the hammer and screwdriver trick using the corner of a screwdriver blade and it didn't even budge with some pretty good taps...
Now if that doesn't work, what will?

Same problem. You're applying pressure at one point only and that just distorts the ring and makes it tighter.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »
If you are not trying to save the filter, then cut it off. Protect the front glass first. It's probably aluminium, a good pair of side cutters should cut it easily. Remove the rotating ring first then the other. Or you could just cut the rotating ring off then use my suggestion of a piece of rubber flat on a table, press the filter down on to it then rotate the lens. Or, with the rotating ring removed, cut two notches in the remaining ring and use your lens tool to remove it.

I would sacrifice the filter, remember this lens has a plastic filter ring that could be damaged by using force. Then you would have to do what I did with a Mamiya lens, glue a metal filter ring to the front of the lens.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »
I'm probably going to have to do that.

But the LockTite theory is also entirely plausible as I got another lens at the same time, from the same vintage and brand, and this one the filter screws off very easily.

I'm thinking that the filter would screw off when the guy was adjusting the polarizer, he got sick of doing that and decided to crazy glue it in place. If that's the case, removing it will just cause more damage than anything.

So, since I got the glass off, I'm just going to leave it there and use it as a new filter thread.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 08:11:12 PM »
Loctite usually gives way rather easily unless he's used a whole bottle of it. I suspect he's used real glue, and then you're really stuck.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 09:23:40 PM »
I can confirm that I'm really stuck.
I went to a camera store to get some lens cleaner to remove all the smudges I had made on it, and as a bit of serendipity (or they knew I was coming), there was a set of nice filter wrenches just next to them. So I splurged and bought them.
These things grip very well, so I put all my strength on it and it didn't move by a single millimeter.
I suspect he used some CA glue...  :-[
I don't want to get some acetone on the plastic, so it's definitely stuck.
Francois