Author Topic: Black & White reversal / B&W slides  (Read 2159 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Black & White reversal / B&W slides
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:42:19 AM »
Last summer I was hanging around a professional printer's studio getting some test prints done and we started talking about film and alternative processes. After a while he says, Let me show you something. He went through his filing cabinets and after a while found what he was looking for. He pulled some slides from their protective plastic sleeves and began handing them to me. I held them up to the light of the window and I experienced this rare sense of exultation. I had never seen anything like it. They were portraits. Black & white positive slides of portraits.

I'm not sure why they had such an effect on me. Maybe because I had never seen b&w slides before. But there was something about their very nature that struck me -- their tonal quality, their luminescence. He explained there had been a kit to make them...

A couple months ago I was listening to the Classic Camera Revival podcast out of Toronto and they began talking about black & white slide processing, about this company in Iowa -- http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/filmreviewdev1.html -- that does it using a wide variety of regular b&w negative film, and how blown away they were by the results. They also talked about home methods, but they're rather dangerous in that they involve sulfuric acid. From wiki:

Black-and-white transparencies can be made directly with some modern black-and-white films, which normally yield negatives. The negative image is developed but not fixed. The negative image is removed by bleaching with a solution of potassium permanganate or potassium dichromate in dilute sulfuric acid, which is removed by washing and a clearing bath containing sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite. The remaining silver halide salts are re-exposed to light, developed and fixed, and the film is washed and dried.

I decided to give it a shot. My grandson and daughter, HP5 @ ISO 800, Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm / Pentax SV.

These are very different from the type of b&w I normally do. I generally do very contrasty stuff. I learned b&w in the context of the zone system and I live in zones 1-5 and 9-10, skipping over those silvery light grays of zones 6-8. But these have those grays, without skimping on the lower tones. They have a pretty complete tonal range and somehow (maybe through confirmation bias) they retain much of the luminescence of the experience of viewing the images as slides, to my eyes.

Next up are some cityscapes with Technical Pan.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Black & White reversal / B&W slides
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:16:43 AM »
Those look great Hookstrapped!  I’ve been thinking of shooting some 8mm black and white reversal movie film.  There are at least two available, ORWO UN54 and Tri-X.  I think ORWO makes a processing kit as well.  Tri-X is rated at ISO 200 for reversal.  ORWO also sells UN54 for still photography, it can be processed as negative and reversal. 

http://www.orwona.com/orwo-un54-100-asa-35mm-reversal-or-negative-b-w-film-on-100ft-core/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
Rollei has a reversal kit for B&W films, you can get it from Macodirect.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »
Rollei has a reversal kit for B&W films, you can get it from Macodirect.

Cool!

https://www.macodirect.de/en/chemistry/black-white-chemistry/film-developing/film-developer/5741/rollei-black-white-reversal-kit-for-20-films

I agree with what they say about the quality of the images... I need to look at the explanatory videos on YouTube but I wonder how you do the exposure to light of the unexposed silver (representing the positive image) after bleaching and washing away the negative image. I'd imagine it would have to be controlled -- you can't just hang up your roll in the light??

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »
I have never tried this myself, I must admit that the procedure scared me off (at least for now). As I understand it is recommended to use film with a clear base, and I suppose that rules out most Ilford films. Rollei and Adox make films with a clear base, usually on PET. These films have another benefit which is the fact that they dry very flat. Some of these are quite contrasty, but that probably can be adjusted using a different developer. Rollei has a low contrast developer which I have considered using with Rollei Ortho film.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »
I'd imagine it would have to be controlled -- you can't just hang up your roll in the light??
You actually do.
What happens is that there is a bleach bath that removes the converted silver only, so you're left with a negative that has only the unexposed silver in it. You expose that silver and then develop it like normal. Since the exposed silver that was developed is now gone all you can have is a positive image.

I must admit it probably is a bit scary at first.

I remember seeing ads for the Agfa Scala a while back when they were still in business. It was definitely a very beautiful film.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 02:07:13 AM »
Francois, I guess that makes sense. The proper exposure has already been made in the negative. The re-exposure simply needs to expose the inverse of it, which means just a complete and thorough exposure of whatever silver is left.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
I used to only shoot slides - so Agfa Scala was a natural progression for me when I needed B&W. I really liked the look, but it took 2 or 3 rolls for me to nail the exposure. But to see the slides on a light box using a loupe - the images really popped.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »
Leica did a very nice promotional publication in conjunction with Agfa to show the potential of both the R7 and Scala film. It was titled Leica Fashion and is printed with beautiful matte paper with vellum sheets throughout. Really nice.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 09:37:30 PM »
Adox has just released a copy of the Agfa Scala, it's named Adox Scala 160. There is also a 50 ISO Adox Scala, and that will soon be available in 120 too. Adox has their own reversal kit and so does Foma. Seems there are quite a few possibilities for B&W slides still.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki