Author Topic: Wax?  (Read 4024 times)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Wax?
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
Does anyone out there ever apply wax to photographs?
I'm aware of renaissance wax, but to my best knowledge that's applied in a thin layer and isn't the effect I'm searching for.
If you've used renaissance, please let me know your experience?
Has anyone used a thicker wax that resembles bees wax but doesn't have the longterm acidic problem?
(see the Jack Spencer photo attached)
If you have any tips, can you pass on the product name and the how to?

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:21:08 PM by Susan B. »

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Re: Wax?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
Susan, I wish I could help out as I find the wax/waxed paper/application a glorious medium for photography. I was looking at one of the recent photography magazines the other day...can't be certain which one it was...and it featured the grand works of Peter Liepke and his usage of wax/paper negatives. I think I read he used it in some side notes or something. His site seems to be down but you can look here to see his work. Gorgeous stuff. If this is something you want to explore I cannot wait to see. Good luck...

http://www.luminous-lint.com/__sw.php?action=ACT_SING_PH&p1=Peter__Liepke&p2=C
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
Probably not what you are after but looking around there are giclee varnish that can be applied to both fine art paper and canvas....and can even be displayed without a glass frame after application...such as the wax I am thinking.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
Susan,

I have used beeswax encaustic in the past on both photographic and conventional printmaking processes. I have never noticed any downside to using it, other than the yellowish color, but for me that is usually desired in the applications in which I have used it. I'm not sure exactly what acidic side effects you are referring to. For photographic prints, I have usually used toned silver prints, but have not noticed any ill effects due to the acidity. Alternatively, you might want to look into something like Japan Wax, made from the sumac berries, or Hydroxyoctacosanyl hydroxystearate which is a less acidic and commonly used beeswax substitute (for cosmetics), and is used in making emulsion stabilizers. I have not used either of those products however, so really have no idea of their potential application. I believe both are relatively cheap, so perhaps some experimentation is in order.

Can't wait to see the results!

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:09:27 PM »
Susan,

I have used beeswax encaustic in the past on both photographic and conventional printmaking processes. I have never noticed any downside to using it, other than the yellowish color, but for me that is usually desired in the applications in which I have used it. I'm not sure exactly what acidic side effects you are referring to. For photographic prints, I have usually used toned silver prints, but have not noticed any ill effects due to the acidity. Alternatively, you might want to look into something like Japan Wax, made from the sumac berries, or Hydroxyoctacosanyl hydroxystearate which is a less acidic and commonly used beeswax substitute (for cosmetics), and is used in making emulsion stabilizers. I have not used either of those products however, so really have no idea of their potential application. I believe both are relatively cheap, so perhaps some experimentation is in order.

Can't wait to see the results!

thanks you guys!

Beck--not looking for varnish. I have that part down. But many thanks!

Seekingfocus-- I'm looking for that yellowing effect you mentioned.

RE: acidic properties, here's some info from the Rennaisance wax site that tipped me off.
 Prior to 1950, the only polishes available were based on beeswax and carnuba wax. Unfortunately, these natural, saponifiable products would cause damage when acids arose spontaneously through oxidation or hydrolysis.
To solve the problem, a consortium of international conservationists directed a scientist from the British Museum to conduct intensive research and find the "perfect wax."

Hey seekingfocus, would love to know more how to if you have a minute. I'll email you offline.

And if anyone else has info, would love to hear more. There's nothing out there on the web about how to, etc...

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »
That Peter Liepke article is in the current isssue of View Camera Magazine.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 11:49:36 PM »
Susan, Fire away! I have fairly limited experience, but will certainly help in any way I can.

One more note about the beeswax: it was commonly used for encaustic in times dating back to the 100-300 CE with the Egyptians. Preserved paintings have have been recovered from the 5th and 6th centuries. Of course, that's done on more stable materials such as wood, though more modern painters such as Jaser Johns did use it extensively on canvas and paper... his works have survived about 50 years of so now. Obviously, photo paper would be a bit more depreciable than wood or canvas, but I don't know that applying beeswax would really deteriorate the print any further than 'normal'.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
I found someone using wax on Etsy the other day.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7715052

Is this the process you're talking about? Just being nosey...

Janet

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
Don't know if this is any good but it looks interesting enough...or could very well be what you are looking for as a sort of a result or a start? The gallery has really nice things. Perhaps you can make contact with the individual with your inquiry...

http://retail.waxworksphoto.com/

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »
Susan,

You should check this out:

http://www.rfpaints.com/2-WorkShops/EncausticCompWorkshops.htm#Collaborative%20Workshops

Fawn Potash & Danielle Correia have done workshops at the Center for Photography at Woodstock every year. I got to see some of Fawn's amazing work when I was there for KC's workshop. Definitely worth looking into if you want to explore this further.

Also, Chicago's own Jane Fulton Alt has experimented with beeswax in some of her recent Holga work. You might want to contact her for tips/tricks, etc., as well. I know I've been meaning to since I'm interested in exploring that area as well.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »
Some wonderful work in this thread. Thanks for all the links and info.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 10:40:34 PM »
thanks you guys. All great links and ideas.
Much appreciated,
Susan

JOhn Reeves

• Still Working
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 02:10:50 AM »
Just dropping in.

I've waxed matte prints with Dorland's Wax Medium. It's an oil paint medium for added impasto or other painterly things. Maybe it could be combined with pigment.  dunno. It builds a nice luster with some elbow grease. I've never applied it too thick.
wasting film since 2002

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »
Ooohhh... more things to think about. Look forward to seeing results from whatever you choose. I tried some tinned matte lacquer today, what a disaster. Made my K3 inks turn white. May have as well used whipped cream from a can on it - it was that bad. Yech!

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com