Author Topic: Film Found in a FILCA Cassette  (Read 2812 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Film Found in a FILCA Cassette
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »
I recently started bulk loading film in FILCA cassettes for my screw mount Leica cameras.  I recently purchased a cassette on eBay and luckily noticed that it had film in it before I opened it.  When I removed the film in the dark I could tell that the end of it had been torn off, not cut with scissors.  It was also twisted around in the cassette like someone twisted the spool the wrong way and caused it to fold over and wrinkle.  Despite the bends and kinks in the film I was able to load it onto a stainless spiral. 

I wasn't expecting to find anything on it but decided to develop it just in case.  I Semi-Stand developed the film in Rodinal 1:100 for about an hour.  I was not only surprised to find images but also that it was shot with a half frame camera.  As far as I know the only camera that shoots half frame and uses a FILCA cassette is the Leica 72 screw mount 18x24 rangefinder.  This is a very rare camera, only 200 were made between 1950 and 1963.  The film is Kodak Super-XX which was discontinued in roll film format before 1960.  The camera, the film and clues in the images help date them to some time in the 1950's.  Being shot over 58 years ago they developed surprisingly well, I would have expected a lot of fog but there was very little. 

Most of the photos were three children in a house with a bunch of toys scattered about.  The toys all look like the are 1950's vintage.  In this first one it looks like the boy is holding a Kodak Box camera.
Found FIlm - FILCA 5 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr 

Found FIlm - FILCA 4 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure the photographer was using a flash for the indoor shots, you can see the reflection in the man's glasses.
Found FIlm - FILCA 2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Film Found in a FILCA Cassette
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
A few more.

Found FIlm - FILCA 3 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I thought this was kind of odd, there was another similar shot but it was a bit out of focus. 
Found FIlm - FILCA 1 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
That's a great find! The magazine cover in the fourth image appears to read "(Oct)ober 4, 1948", so late 40's or early 50's is pretty likely for the images on that roll.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
That's a great find! The magazine cover in the fourth image appears to read "(Oct)ober 4, 1948", so late 40's or early 50's is pretty likely for the images on that roll.

That Holiday magazine is October of 1948 as well. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/409827634814152853/

The reason I was thinking no earlier than 1950 is because I believed that's when the Leica 72 came out.  I found this site that says it was first developed in 1948 so that could be close to the date of the photos.

http://www.subclub.org/shop/leica.htm

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
An article on "How to live in the country"?
You wouldn't see that anymore :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
The aspect ratio of the photos you posted is not the usual half-frame proportion of 4:3, but more like 5:4. Did you crop them, or is that how they came out of the camera? Can you post a quick and dirty photo of one of the negative strips so we can see how they look on the film itself?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
The aspect ratio of the photos you posted is not the usual half-frame proportion of 4:3, but more like 5:4. Did you crop them, or is that how they came out of the camera? Can you post a quick and dirty photo of one of the negative strips so we can see how they look on the film itself?

Attached is a photo of the negative.  I did some cropping and didn't stay true to the format.  They measure closer to 19mm X 24mm.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »
Got it. Those half-frame Leicas being so rare, I have to wonder if the film was transferred from another camera into the FILCA.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:12:20 PM »
Got it. Those half-frame Leicas being so rare, I have to wonder if the film was transferred from another camera into the FILCA.

You have a good point and there is some evidence of that.  I thought it was strange that there was an image all the way into the cassette.  See how the film is tapered below, it was cut to fit into the spool and there is an image that was cut to make it fit.  That could be like you said, it was shot in another camera then loaded into the cassette.  The other possibility is the film came off the end of the spool while they were shooting and put a photo there before they realized it.  The spool it was on is different than my other FILCA cassettes, it has a tab on the side of the spool to insert the end of the film into and it does not grab the film like the others so the film comes out easily.  It must be an older version, other than the spool the rest of the cassette is the same. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:27:07 AM »
More found film in another FILCA cassette.  Not sure why people like to leave their film in these cassettes.  I semi-stand developed it in Rodinal 1:100 for about an hour.  I suspect it was a color film because of all the grain and bromide drag.  If anyone recognizes this place let me know.

Found film - FILCA 6 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Found Film - FILCA 7 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Amazing find with that double-x roll! The other? Hmm... If no one recognizes it I guess you could crop out the two grand buildings and do a reverse image search to see what crops up :)
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Cool. Great pics.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:05 AM »
I finally figured out where that church is in the two photos above, Taxco,Mexico.  The only reason I revisited it was because I recognized the church in a home movie someone posted in a film shooting group.  They were trying to figure out where and when an old home movie was shot.  I did some more googling and finally found it. 

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
I love it.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com