Author Topic: New production Ektachrome???  (Read 19938 times)

Faintandfuzzy

Re: New production Ektachrome???
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »
I have a half dozen rolls on hold for me when they arrive at my local shop.  Will see how they scan on my Minolta Scan Dual IV and Epson V700 wet....and then my local shop with their Imacon 848...8000ppi should be fun. 😁

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
If I just had a local shop with an Imacon... I don't believe there's a single one in the whole of Montreal!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
If I just had a local shop with an Imacon... I don't believe there's a single one in the whole of Montreal!

Prism photo here in Victoria has an 848.  Shame a large centre like Montreal has none.  Not sure about Toronto.  To be honest, I find the 3200 ppi scans to be pretty much enough from a film like E100.  When I compare 8000ppi and 3200ppi upsampled in PS to produce a 16x24 print....one would be extremely hard pressed to see any difference in real rez.  On an airforce test chart...yes.  On a landscape, portrait or street shot....not really.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »
I must say these scanners are bloody expensive. I don't think that many companies can justify getting one around here.
Maybe Contact Image has one... but going there is a real nightmare. Just going in town is a big nightmare these days.
Francois

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
I must say these scanners are bloody expensive. I don't think that many companies can justify getting one around here.
Maybe Contact Image has one... but going there is a real nightmare. Just going in town is a big nightmare these days.

Another option is to send film to Richard Photo Lab, The FIND Lab, or West Coast Imaging in the states.  I dont do a lot of MF or 4x5 anymore...mainly 110 and 35....so even a half decent desktop like a Minolta Scan Dual IV is a good choice. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
The Minolta scanners were always pretty darn good. Too bad they stopped making them.

Maybe one of these days I'll just bite the bullet and build one that's up to my own specs...
I've had a few ideas on how to get insanely high resolution scans for relatively cheap but it involves quite a bit or construction and coding.
I was thinking about using a two axis carriage with a dual LED backlight that would be controlled by either an Arduino with a motor shield or a Raspberry Pi that would trigger a high resolution camera that is focused on the negative. The system would take a series of images that would get stitched-up. The two LED's would be an IR LED and a regular white light LED so that it would be possible to make a Digital ICE like system..............  But I'm going to probably let laziness take it's course and just rely on old faithful Epson...
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2018, 11:32:38 PM »

A quick Google search points to Borealis and Photo Service in Montreal, and Toronto Image Works, with Imacon scanners. My sense is that there are more high-end scanners in local markets than we think, especially markets with a heavy corporate and advertising presence. The lab I use in Irvine has one to support Mazda USA and other heavyweights nearby.

http://www2.borealislab.qc.ca/borealis/scanning
https://photoservice.ca/en/scanning-retouch.html
http://www.torontoimageworks.com/scanning-and-reproduction/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2018, 06:06:00 AM »
Super 8 film is for sale on the Kodak web site, I just ordered 5 carts.  Just when I was down to my last roll of Regular 8mm.  I haven’t had Super 8 film for at least a year now. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2018, 03:18:46 PM »
As of this writing, Ektachrome is still not available at Adorama  :'( >:( In fact, if it weren't for Bryan's pictures in the weekend thread, I'd suspect that this was all a cruel marketing gimmick by Kodak....  ::)

Bryan, where did you get your Ektachrome from? 35mm, right?

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
Super 8 film is for sale on the Kodak web site, I just ordered 5 carts.  Just when I was down to my last roll of Regular 8mm.  I haven’t had Super 8 film for at least a year now.

On a side note: have you had the opportunity to shoot Tri-X Reversal in Super 8? That was my film of choice during early film school days. Chambliss Cine has some available, which is very tempting.

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/catalog.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:22:42 PM by EarlJam »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
As of this writing, Ektachrome is still not available at Adorama  :'( >:( In fact, if it weren't for Bryan's pictures in the weekend thread, I'd suspect that this was all a cruel marketing gimmick by Kodak....  ::)

Bryan, where did you get your Ektachrome from? 35mm, right?

I got the 35mm from Freestyle right when it became available.  I ordered the Super 8 directly from Kodak.

On a side note: have you had the opportunity to shoot Tri-X Reversal in Super 8? That was my film of choice during early film school days. Chambliss Cine has some available, which is very tempting.

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/catalog.htm

I have not tried Tri-X reversal, I may do that at some point.  So far I have either had a stock of Super 8 or Regular 8 Ektachrome.