Author Topic: Dorothea Lange's censored photos of Japanese internment  (Read 1304 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Dorothea Lange's censored photos of Japanese internment
« on: December 14, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »
https://anchoreditions.com/blog/dorothea-lange-censored-photographs

I've looked at a lot of photos of the internment, but none have affected me like these. Maybe it's the captions or the quality of the photos themselves. Maybe it's the time we live in.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Dorothea Lange's censored photos of Japanese internment
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »
A truly dark and terrible chapter in our country's history. I'm glad Dorothea was there to make sure we don't forget it.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

mikemarlow

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
.......and a President Elect with a promised nationwide database of Muslims and a threat to deport the Mexican "drug dearers and rapists" shows the 'progress' we have made - the times we live in indeed!

Mike

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
.......and a President Elect with a promised nationwide database of Muslims and a threat to deport the Mexican "drug dearers and rapists" shows the 'progress' we have made - the times we live in indeed!

Mike

As a Brit, I didn't feel it appropriate to make similar comments but I agree wholeheartedly with you.  Even threatening such Draconian action is beyond acceptable standards in modern society.  That said, we Brits are the ones who actually invented "concentration camps" for internment of Boers during the Second Boer War (1899 to 1902). 

Clearly, the level of depravity to which the operators of these camps have sunk has varied massively through history.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
When I look at what's going on everywhere, I feel lucky to be in Canada.... Though I'd really love it if they could annex some southern island so we could all get a break from the cold during the winter...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
When I look at what's going on everywhere, I feel lucky to be in Canada.... Though I'd really love it if they could annex some southern island so we could all get a break from the cold during the winter...

I understand you all tried that with Turks and Caicos but it didn't pan out

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »

I understand you all tried that with Turks and Caicos but it didn't pan out

They also tried to take some islands from the US in 1859.  Probably not quite as far South as Francois would like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »

What with all of that getting shot to bits at Vimy, you'd have thought that the empire could have thrown you a Caribbean island or two.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
It's funny because for decades there has been a slightly geopolitical joke going around saying that since so many Quebequers go spend some time in Cuba every winter (it's the number one cheap tourist destination in the province), the provincial government should do a merger with them and possibly call the new combined province that would result Cubec.

Just imagine beaches full of fat white belugas trying to get sunburn while drinking and swearing profusely  :(
There is even a local filmmaker who did a movie on the subject called Elvis Gratton... it's pathetic and painful to watch.
https://youtu.be/C65ImHxE32U?t=36m17s
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »
A friend once said: we all live on a thin layer of culture, underneath is brutal savageness.

We are much too successful in destroing each other. Without culture and without love mankind is lost.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:27 AM »
Terrible episode, but when you compare it to what the US did in Central, South America and South East Asia it just pales in comparison. And I would say US external policies have not chanaged that much. Sorry about the ramble, but if you read first pages of Noam Chomsky´s ¨How the world works¨, it´s hard to believe those things were planned and executed by... (more ramble  ::)).