Author Topic: Eggleston in NYC  (Read 644 times)

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
Eggleston in NYC
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »
Hi all,

While in NYC last weekend I caught the The Democratic Forest show at David Zwirner gallery.  The prints were huge.  It's remarkable that quality prints of this size (maybe four feet across?) can be made from 35mm negatives.  It was a great show, and included the image of Eudora Welty's kitchen, one of my favorites from him.  Here are a few phone snaps from the show, including a closeup of the grain on one of the prints.  Hope you enjoy.

Jeff

P.S.
In typical Eggleston fashion there was no information about the work on the walls at all, which was refreshing.  No titles, dates, nothing.   ;)

(Winston)

(Winston's buckle closeup)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Eggleston in NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »
Lucky!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:04:32 AM »
Yes, Lucky indeed!    8)
I am really amazed at how some 35mm negs can be enlarged so much and not look like they are overheated and melting off the walls.
Sigh again!   
Glad you got to see it and shared with us.

Becky

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:38:13 AM »
It's only running until this Saturday. No way I'll make it. Bugger.  >:(
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:29 AM »
Lucky!

Indeed I was!  It was a solo trip for me, just a day to spare for walking and art (and of course taking some pictures).  I saw Eggleston on the west side, Christenberry on the east side.  And Christenberry was sharing gallery space with Edward Burtynsky who had some unbelievable photos from his Salt Pans series on display.  Incredible work, and once again huge prints, like 60" across.

It was hard to leave there without a Burtynsky book.