Author Topic: Irony is DEAD  (Read 1311 times)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Irony is DEAD
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »
Seeking out some entertaining discussion the other week I put a post onto a rather large photography group.  With 20,000 members plus you'd expect some wit, wisdom or cunning insight, wouldn't you?  No, of course not, I'm only kidding.

This was my post:
"I wuz talking the other day about photographers who have influenced me, by which I mean photographers whose work has had either a general or a specific impact on my way of working.  This was my list: Jackson Pollock, Piet Mondriaan, Rembrandt and Rodin."

It didn't take long for someone to respond, someone whose profile pic actually included a large format bellows camera on a tripod, so I assume it must have been one of those zone-friendly characters who talk so much about slowing down the process, rather than just another narcissist with a camera.

But this is what he wrote:
"Do you mean artists and not photographers ? None of the names on your list are photographers. They all worked in other mediums."

Do I hear the death rattle of irony in this, or a lack of cultural awareness among people who own cameras?  I deliberated for a while about how to reply, not wanting to bang on too much about my degree in Art History, so in the end I just put, "My one hope is that nobody else completely misses the point." 

No one else responded.  In fact, the page seemed to fill up with shots of trees, quickly burying my post.   ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Irony is DEAD
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:32:20 PM »
Well, you sure can't beat a Pollock with a Kodak ;)

Is there a prize for people who manage to stick an excessive number of K's in the same sentence?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
Seeking out some entertaining discussion the other week I put a post onto a rather large photography group.  With 20,000 members plus you'd expect some wit, wisdom or cunning insight, wouldn't you?  No, of course not, I'm only kidding.

This was my post:
"I wuz talking the other day about photographers who have influenced me, by which I mean photographers whose work has had either a general or a specific impact on my way of working.  This was my list: Jackson Pollock, Piet Mondriaan, Rembrandt and Rodin."

It didn't take long for someone to respond, someone whose profile pic actually included a large format bellows camera on a tripod, so I assume it must have been one of those zone-friendly characters who talk so much about slowing down the process, rather than just another narcissist with a camera.

But this is what he wrote:
"Do you mean artists and not photographers ? None of the names on your list are photographers. They all worked in other mediums."

Do I hear the death rattle of irony in this, or a lack of cultural awareness among people who own cameras?  I deliberated for a while about how to reply, not wanting to bang on too much about my degree in Art History, so in the end I just put, "My one hope is that nobody else completely misses the point." 

No one else responded.  In fact, the page seemed to fill up with shots of trees, quickly burying my post.   ;D

Maybe his reply was sarcasm, and you missed it.
Now that would be ironic.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40:40 PM »
Well, you sure can't beat a Pollock with a Kodak ;)

Is there a prize for people who manage to stick an excessive number of K's in the same sentence?
Oh, I could beat Pollock with a Kodak. The bigger the better in fact!

I especially love Rodin's Minox work.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
Not feeling like starting work yet - hey, it's only 0915 UK time, here are my thoughts about the mentioned photographers.
Pollack would have an early digital camera, maybe about 4MP and claim that it showed the real world, in undistorted truth.
Mondrian would have a 5x4 or a 10x8. So he could get the verticals nice and straight.
Rembrandt would be a Polaroid peel-apart funkster.
& Rodin? He'd just sit there stroking the most curvaceous camera body he could find, while gazing at a muse. He'd never actually use, just sit there stroking it, like a mechanical white cat in an early James Bond movie.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
Needs Vermeer in the list.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
Flippy - maybe, LOL.  But I think his response was too studied and too long for intentional sarcasm.  (My second degree was Linguistics.)

Zap - Nice, and I'd go along with your suggestions.  Although Rodin never used a camera, he did hire photographers to work for him.

LHarby - Thank you; and Caravaggio, and Matisse, though I was at pains to keep the list brief.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
I'd love to see Lichtenstein use a process camera and screw-up the tri-color separation to get funky colors ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
and no one mentioned Peter Max, or Warhol...Keith Haring?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 09:54:56 PM »
I think Klee is one of my favorite photographers, even if he did make analog look digital.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
and no one mentioned Peter Max, or Warhol...Keith Haring?

Because they have not had any influence on how I work.  ;)